• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
It's very unlikely that Sony will roll out the feature without the ability to do it on the PS4.
I can't see the feature being added in a firmware beta because that would give some users priority access to new names. That would probably piss people off more. It would be a feature that goes live for everyone at once.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
"System Software 6.00 does not include any major consumer-facing features."

Kramer-OMG-WTF.gif

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
Guessing if there's no user facing features in the beta it has under the hood changes for something they want to go live for everyone at the same time.
They aren't going to let a relative handful of gamers start changing names in a beta. If something is bugged or unstable it could lead to them losing their account and downloads. People back at base however could do such things.

Not that this beta necessarily has anything to do with name changes.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the Beta forum "At this Beta stage, the 6.00 update does not include any new major consumer-facing features."
So certainly some stuff will get added at a later stage. Maybe they're just trying to get the general stability going, which some don't really care about.
They're probably in there, just feature flagged until Gsmescom

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
so they've gone from naming milestone updates after legendary swords to this?

can we agree that the HW team is working on PS5 at this point?

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this means that they won't be able to roll out all of their new amazeballs exciting PSN features because it would segregate the player base and they would have to run two sets of servers. Instead, all the great stuff will be on the full release!

PSN name changes, less lag on loading online related UI elements, 2FA with an app instead of SMS, and Plus no longer required to play online! Increase the hype!

Nov 14, 2017
I'm in the US and haven't seen one yet. Hopefully I made even though it's disappointing there aren't any customer-facing features this time.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know it says that there's no major consumer-facing features in the beta, but can someone with the beta pleeeeease check the display options and see if 1440p is an option now?

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
If there was no features to test they wouldn't have a beta, this is obviously them testing out in the background until beta 3 or 4 to check it isn't going to break everyone's ps4's in the beta.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're getting a voucher code? My email says there is no code and that the update will pop up when it starts.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yup. I wouldn't count on 1440p ever being supported tbh.
I think there's a reasonable chance that it will be. Sony knows that some of us game on monitors, and Xbox One S and X support 1440p. And it's not like it's some major technical hurdle, nor is it all that strange to hope that a gaming platform which supports 1080p and 4K also supports the most popular resolution inbetween those too. The main reason I use our Xbox One X over our PS4 Pro is because the XB1X looks amazing on my 1440p monitor and my PS4 Pro looks like shit on the same monitor. My Pro stays only playing exclusives a few times a year until support comes.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting, seems like there's some major change under the hood but they're not ready to announce or enable those features right now, they still need people to test the stability of the whole thing.
Maybe they will announce something in late august or early september.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I think there's a reasonable chance that it will be. Sony knows that some of us game on monitors, and Xbox One S and X support 1440p. And it's not like it's some major technical hurdle, nor is it all that strange to hope that a gaming platform which supports 1080p and 4K also supports the most popular resolution inbetween those too. The main reason I use our Xbox One X over our PS4 Pro is because the XB1X looks amazing on my 1440p monitor and my PS4 Pro looks like shit on the same monitor. My Pro stays only playing exclusives a few times a year until support comes.

I agree but the reason why I'm not holding my breath is because Sony would rather push consumers towards 4K displays. But hey I won't complain if they do end up supporting it.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I agree but the reason why I'm not holding my breath is because Sony would rather push consumers towards 4K displays. But hey I won't complain if they do end up supporting it.
You got a great point, there. HOLDIN OUT HOPE THO but I'll definitely reign in my expectations.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017

It's unlikely because they have traditionally targeted TV resolutions and, as far as I know, there aren't any TVs with 1440p native resolution.

It was the same last generation where the Xbox 360 supported a variety of monitor resolutions over VGA whereas the PS3 only supported TV resolutions.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I smell name changing preparation!

Someone should make a burner account with the beta code redeemed to pass it between other members instead of code begging

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Do betas usually have multiple stages? I got in, so I'll download it later tonight and check it out.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Came here to say that I'm jealous because I don't think they even opened the EU registrations but then I saw that there is absolutely nothing in this update and I was like:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I got an invite so I'll bite. But this better lead to something. There is no way it's a number update and not something big. It would make sense that it's name change considering that is the type of feature that you don't want people to beta test. You would want that to be available to everyone at the same time.