• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in software development, and we do use semantic versioning, thanks. A breaking change means that an API is no longer backwards-compatible with old versions of an app (for example). The "app" would be games on the PS4 I guess? So if this new firmware didn't introduces changes that break games that haven't been updated, how is it a breaking change? If it's still BC with all old games it's not a breaking change.

But maybe it is one toward PSN or something, who knows.
Ding ding ding!!! Not every API in the firmware is exposed to or built for games.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, guaranteed they are readying the name change thing for this year. You don't just magically get that out if you don't have to do huge changes to the code and firmware. I am sure considering their old network it is a gigantic change.

Its been 10 years and I just realized I dont even know what username I want

I hope they also purge a ton of dormant accounts because every good name is taken.

I hope we can add spaces between our names too.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Sooo I appear to have developed the BD read error since installing the update, if I use the update from safe mode process will it send me to 6.x or back to 5.5x?

xICHIGOx

Oct 27, 2017
They've changed the search tab in the PSN but the OS is slow as hell with this update, at least for me.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone receive extra codes to share with friends as they always send?

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I didn't get a code but just found out this morning that the search has been improved in the PS store.

PS_Messages_20180825_095019.jpg

I thought this was being tested in the firmware? they are already rolling it out it seems. Weird how they are introducing this firmware as there's no blogpost about features or anything.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, a qwerty update would be fucking hilarious patch notes.

Dont worry, there will be more. No idea what. I'm on update 3 already, still can't see what is different.

Deleted member 8688

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If the big 6.0 update is nothing but a QWERTY keyboard, Sony will continue to cement themselves as being software incompetent.

No, fw6.0 isn't required for the new search as mentioned in the post directly above yours.

Not sure why people find Sony's firmware numbering so confusing this gen. They increment the version number annually. We are going to version 6 because we will soon enter the sixth year of PS4.

Anyway, no consumer-facing features is not the same as no features. One of the best PS3 updates appeared to have no features but we later discovered that a chunk of RAM had been freed up for use in games, and was a major reason why late gen games looked so good compared to earlier ones. Could be the same here, but we won't see the benefit until games are released that have been compiled against the v6.0 SDK.

Shmunter

Banned
May 28, 2018
If the big 6.0 update is nothing but a QWERTY keyboard, Sony will continue to cement themselves as being software incompetent.
I'm still holding on hope there is a surprise hidden within. A surprise worthy enough off it to be a secret, underwraps for a sizeable announcement. Haha, keep that fought.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
No, fw6.0 isn't required for the new search as mentioned in the post directly above yours.

Not sure why people find Sony's firmware numbering so confusing this gen. They increment the version number annually. We are going to version 6 because we will soon enter the sixth year of PS4.

Anyway, no consumer-facing features is not the same as no features. One of the best PS3 updates appeared to have no features but we later discovered that a chunk of RAM had been freed up for use in games, and was a major reason why late gen games looked so good compared to earlier ones. Could be the same here, but we won't see the benefit until games are released that have been compiled against the v6.0 SDK.

Hopefully they can finally free up 500 mb more vram for the pro by getting rid of the 4k text when all the theme are native 1080p anyway. And add important features like dolby vision hdr and dolby atmos suppprt. Even Zoe 2 remaster support atmos on pc but not ps4 version.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
This is by far the weirdest beta ever. Realsing a beta for 6.00 with no changelogs then releasing a tiny update for the main one meanwhile. People thinking the keyboard serach in PS Store was for it but it was an internal app change just like Netflix and Youtube and thatw as changed too for main firmware. Now it is taking that long, even the longets period for testing than any beta, without any further notice about when the full version will come. I think they are still testing major things with it to come.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017

Ah, I remember those days. I'm not sure how reliable the information was but insiders were all excited about RAM footprint going down. Things like the HDD subsystem going down from 5 to 3 MB were a big deal.

I also remember firmware 1.82 or so providing noticeable performance improvements in the XMB menu.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The additions might be significant for developers, but might not be user visible at all.
I don't think a console has ever gotten a full number update with no public facing features.

Developer centric updates occur all the time but they're done on the development kit side, not like this.

It's hard to imagine 6.0 not including name changing. Sean Layden basically announced at the PSX event last December the feature was coming this year.