• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shmunter

Banned
May 28, 2018
I have the code, but this release is likely just a major security overhaul as hacked ps4's are becoming more prevalent.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
People keep saying "lol there's nothing" when the reality is, the firmware update is 400MB+ for this beta phase 2. There's obviously something in there.

Yep, they're just not ready to announce it. I expect a PSX reveal with an "available now" announcement since the feature would be already installed on all PS4's.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Other than name changes what big features are people looking for? I can't actually think of a single thing the Switch has in their barebones OS

Xbox has some nice stuff like Dolby Atmos support, 1440p, FreeSync support, and achievement tracking.

And of course I'm hoping for improvements to PS Now to be more of a competitor to Game Pass (direct download of PS4 games and maybe a cheaper $10/month option if we don't opt for the PS3 game streaming).

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
And the name changes will come, this update should be the last chance to happen this year.

Something like this was spotted a while back too (in late 2016) in the form of an Unreal Engine 4 update:

Patch notes:

Refactored the PlayStation 4 Online Subsystem engine plugin to support PlayStation 4 SDK version 4.008.061.

Deprecated the use of "Sce Np Online Id," replacing it with "Sce Np Account Id," as per Sony's recommendation. Online users are now exclusively identified by their "Sce Np Account Id."

Simplified the handling of unique net IDs across the PS4 online subsystem.

Switched from "Np Toolkit" to "Np Toolkit2," to support the new APIs which work with "Sce Np Account Id."

Added asynchronous name resolution to convert between "Sce Np Online Id" and "Sce Np Account Id," using Sony's ID mapper web interface.

For PlayStation 4 online users, the "To String" and "Get Bytes" functions in "Unique Net Id" now return the user's "Sce Np Account Id."

Previously these functions returned the user's "Sce Np Online Id." Any custom online code or services backend will need to handle identifying users by their "Sce Np Account Id," as according to Sony's recommendations.

If required, the "Sce Np Online Id" for local users and friends can be obtained via the "Get Display Name" interface in "Online User."

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/11/16/ps4-sdk-change-psn-account-names/

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they are modifying network connections and or services for the update and this is to test for speed latency etc in the wild.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Sony got sick of people leaking everything and decided not to include anything in the beta which is fucking supposed to include the shit they're testing. Perfect.

Agentten

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NOH57gt.jpg
[/QUOTE]
What is this theme? It looks awesome

HockeyGuy412

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I received the email but when I go to the setting and click on update there's nothing there to download anyone else with this problem

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Um. Why not just call this update 5.56 instead if its going to be so bland?

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Beta won't have anything consumer facing, I'm sure the Charlie version will.

BTW, a lot of people are overreacting. Do you really think there will be nothing?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Do people in here speak and read English? Hell, it's not even my first language and it's clearly implied that the "interesting" (for a lack of better word) features will NOT be available during the BETA, but the public version of the update will have them.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Voluntary stability update lol

Looking forward to seeing what they do with 6.00 though. It's gotta be a pretty huge update.

kreepmode

Oct 25, 2017
I received an email earlier today that I had got into the beta. I signed into my PS4 when I got home from work and I had an event announcement. Clicking through that generated a code which I then lead to downloading the beta off the PS store. Haven't installed it yet, there was definitely a code involved.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Please get rid of the useless 4K UI fonts for the pro and free up the additional 500mb vram for HQ assets.

Mitch1971

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
A quick note for extended storage users. If you download the beta and decide to roll back to the previous software, your extended storage will not work and have to be restored and reformatted to use again, according to the beta notes..

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Getting into various menus (notifications, trophies) feels a lot snappier and faster. A welcome improvement if they actually improved those areas.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
So still no detailed features? Nothing spotted?

What about those who didn't receive emails? Will they get the update automatically via the system like in some previous betas?

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
And the name changes will come, this update should be the last chance to happen this year.

Yeah just like I said, it's for a PSX "Available Now!!" announcement. This hidden feature will already be in all PS4's by then. Firmware 6.0 should be officially out in October I think. It all makes sense now.

No way they'd do a public closed beta testing for nothing but more stability.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone with EU accounts get invited? If so, can anyone please send me an invite or extra code for it? If not then from a NA account. Thanks.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Downloading now in the US.

A "event" notification pops up then takes you to a promo code page with a code already entered for you. Click redeem and thru a few screens and then go to system settings to download and install.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think there's some placebo snappiness (maybe from a database rebuild) but otherwise nothing.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
lol what a waste of a major version difference

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
lol what a waste of a major version difference

The strange thing is that beta sign up ddin't go live for Europe. Went for few hours only for Asian and NA regions. They never talked about in any PS Blog neither when signing up nor whent he beta went live and they used to talk about them before. Something is really enigmatic with this beta. I think Sony wants us to find the new features on our own (for the lucky ones who got in of course).

ryuzoRX

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, there's definitely something new under the hood. The system warns that in case you need to revert back to 5.55, your external hdd won't be recognised, thus requiring a reformat.

clintar

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A quick note for extended storage users. If you download the beta and decide to roll back to the previous software, your extended storage will not work and have to be restored and reformatted to use again, according to the beta notes..

Yes, there's definitely something new under the hood. The system warns that in case you need to revert back to 5.55, your external hdd won't be recognised, thus requiring a reformat.
This sounds scary. Is it really just external that it mentions?