• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
It would be good to know what games are ready for the change. The only one I play that could conceivably be affected for me, right now, is Destiny 2 and I imagine that is already fine. I still want at least some reassurance that I won't just lose access to my stuff and have to revert (wasting my free change).

Oct 29, 2017
Darlington
I changed my name a couple of hours ago and I haven't lost any of my PS4 purchases dating from launch. I still have my progress on Black Ops 4, Spider-Man and God Of War. All of my ps plus games are still there. I don't have a way to check PS3 games unless i use the trial on PlayStation Now.
I will check a few other games later on tonight.

Oct 21, 2018
I changed my name hours ago and still have access to all my games, all my DLC, my saves are intact etc. Only thing I lost was leaderboards stuff on TLOU ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I have the same name on both Xbox and PlayStation, but I would never consider changing my name on Xbox if there was even the risk of losing all of the things mentioned by Sony here. This seems like a choice only for those with truly offensive names from the past that they are too embarrassed to use any longer or those who have just joined PlayStation recently and don't have anything to risk.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to see what kind of new technical difficulties will this introduce.

EDIT:

Monkeyspaw.jpg

Oh wow, okay, haha. It's already at a ridiculous level by design. Bravo Sony.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
lol after reading the notes, this is really a beta test
Yep, but from what I can find nothing has really been impacted on PS4 (for me anyway) or my PS3/Vita trophies.

I think the warning is maybe going to apply to PS3 more, but I don't even have the console hooked up and if Sony want to clean out my downloads list (that we still can't filter) a bit, please feel free.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony is just covering all their bases in case something goes wrong on a bigger scale. The issues should involve only a very small number of games, but I still think it's best to wait with the name change once it goes public to get more feedback from the players.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
If they can't guarantee you keep content you bought, they'd brtter have a system in place to reacquire those items... Or you know, maybe not ask money for a name change in the first place.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
The list of compatible games is very short and is missing an awful lot of vr games and even some first party games such as uncharted 4 and infamous second son

SephiZack

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's strange that it's full. I opened the e-mail 20 minutes after this thread was made but I still got the code.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait...i can't play Infamous, wich is a single player game, if i would some day change my PSN-name?
Compatible games means they're confirmed to be 100% problem free. All the other games may also end up not being problematic, but Sony can't give any confirmations so it's a gamble. The cause for the problem is simple. There are thousands of games for the PS3, PSV and PS4 and they use the PSN name in many ways (leaderboards, character names, ingame messages etc.). It's impossible for Sony to check all of them. And even if they did that the studios that created them may be long gone so it won't be possible to release fixes.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Why don't Sony keep dual username is beyond me. Keep primary for everything else and secondary for newer titles.
This. Create a NEW field for a nickname. Old games use the old username which is still there, they won't even "see" the new nickname field. New games use the nickname from now on. Literally nothing breaks

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why don't Sony keep dual username is beyond me. Keep primary for everything else and secondary for newer titles.
It's hard to discuss this without knowing how Sony's infrastructure works (I imagine it's a shithole ;)), but yes, it would seem like a good solution. The old games wouldn't have compatibility problems and all the new games are fully compatible with this feature.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
This. Create a NEW field for a nickname. Old games use the old username which is still there, they won't even "see" the new nickname field. New games use the nickname from now own. Literally nothing breaks
Exactly. I won't even mind if my current games see me as xXXshitlordXXx as long as my late PS4, PS5 and beyond experience is good under the same account. I guess they've invested too much in this.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
How can a company in 2018 only just be allowing username changes and then on doing so warning it's going to break things? This would have been embarrassing and unacceptable in 2008. But in 2018? It's plain ridiculous.

Their infrastructure and backend must be truly absymal. Probably they shouldn't have bothered with this and just torn everything down and started again next gen.