• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
They have been scolded for not doing it, so they do it in an extremely amateurish way and have practically silenced the issue, since they know that unless Ps4 games stop working there will be no outrage and even if people have issues on PS3 and Vita games few people will care enough to speak out.

It doesn't make this implementation any less shitty.

And the armchair developer has appeared...

Oct 27, 2017
So has anyone who got the invite actually installed it, and tried a name change yet and had issues/no issues? Or is this just a thread where everyone is panicking and hand wringing over potentially nothing?

They might have just listed all those things just as a way to cover their asses in an absolute worse case scenario basis.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Oct 29, 2017
Darlington
Played some more games. Battlefield Hardline, Rainbow Six Siege, Tera, Destiny 2 and Little Big Planet 3. They were all fine with nothing that stood out and all my progress still there.
I tried Uncharted 4 and all of my multiplayer progression was fine but on campaign even though my game saves remained my statistics are completely reset so I am guessing any trophy progress I was in the middle of has been wiped although my treasures still displayed. This could be related to the name change or maybe due to having multiple save files I'm not sure.
I will try some games on Playstation Now today or tomorrow.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've tried every variation of my name I find acceptable and they're not available. The guy who has my name has a frustrating nothing on his profile ever. I'm so salty. I hope Sony delete old PSN's.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Maaaaaan I need this live now!!

I want to add people at my new place which all of them seem to be gamers but I ain't giving them my current name lol

Especially with RDR and BLOPS out now!

Oct 25, 2017
I admire y'all courage. I'm in too deep with digital purchases to ever try.
From all the testing done, DLC and games will be OK.

The only worry is the possibility of losing progression in an online game if the developer has tied it to your PSN ID. If it were the case that you lose your online save through an ID change, if you have bought a "+1000 credits" microtransaction you would lose it along with the rest of your progression.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How can a company in 2018 only just be allowing username changes and then on doing so warning it's going to break things? This would have been embarrassing and unacceptable in 2008. But in 2018? It's plain ridiculous.

Their infrastructure and backend must be truly absymal. Probably they shouldn't have bothered with this and just torn everything down and started again next gen.

Its exactly what they should do. Microsoft killed OG Xbox Live for a reason. They wanted to make improvements to the service and the old system was baggage holding them back. Sony just needs to chop off support for anything pre-PS4 and be done with it.

RedWolfe

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Anyone sitting on a voucher they're not gonna use? I'm willing to put my account on the line for science.

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its exactly what they should do. Microsoft killed OG Xbox Live for a reason. They wanted to make improvements to the service and the old system was baggage holding them back. Sony just needs to chop off support for anything pre-PS4 and be done with it.
Well no, because it would be a big "fuck you" to all people who spent money (and are still spending) on PS3 and Vita. What Sony should do is build an entirely new web infrastructure and offer and migrate all the accounts on it. For legacy platforms like PS3 and Vita they could still use the "old" PSN, but at least the new one would be ready for PS5 and following platforms. It's not that they can't mantein both, they have the money to do it.

Last edited:

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017

I still play my PS3 and Vita regularly. Shutting down PSN connectivity for legacy formats would upset me greatly.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Man I hope I can change my name soon. My PSN name is possibly the stupidest online name I ever came up with but I just figured I could change it when I came up with something better. It never occurred to me it would be permanent.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The only worry is the possibility of losing progression in an online game if the developer has tied it to your PSN ID. If it were the case that you lose your online save through an ID change, if you have bought a "+1000 credits" microtransaction you would lose it along with the rest of your progression.

So would that mean something like Elder Scrolls Online where you have to sign into your ESO account? Has anyone tested this to see how it works and if your characters are gone? Also I have the two expansions as well as the gold edition content but they were redeemed through the PS store so they would be okay right? I imagine anything else you bought through the in-game store would be gone though? I haven't bought anything in the store so hopefully the expansion content is okay but if I lost my characters that would hurt.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt that would accomplish much, the issues with "OG PSN" persisted until April this year and affects the majority of the PS4 catalog as well.

So would that mean something like Elder Scrolls Online where you have to sign into your ESO account? Has anyone tested this to see how it works and if your characters are gone? Also I have the two expansions as well as the gold edition content but they were redeemed through the PS store so they would be okay right?
ESO has been patched repeatedly since April, and would need to comply with the new PSN id backend in order to pass certification. Unless you encounter a very obscure bug, you should be just fine.

Syncro

Oct 27, 2017
I tried Uncharted 4 and all of my multiplayer progression was fine but on campaign even though my game saves remained my statistics are completely reset so I am guessing any trophy progress I was in the middle of has been wiped although my treasures still displayed. This could be related to the name change or maybe due to having multiple save files I'm not sure.

There must be another reason for this. I was playing Uncharted 4 single player last night getting the last of the trophies I needed and I noticed in the stats that apart from play time and everything collectible, everything else was sitting at zero. All kills at zero.

I'm not in the beta so it can't be related to that.

[EDIT] I just googled the problem and it happens to a save file if you choose encounter select if you are playing for trophies. Previous save files without using encounter select are apparently fine.

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Yeah, let's just shut down people from using their hard earned purchases on millions of systems because a minority is embarrassed by their edgy teenager psn nickname

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, let's just shut down people from using their hard earned purchases on millions of systems because a minority is embarrassed by their edgy teenager psn nickname

It's way more than just that. If they cut off support and entirely rebuilt the backend it could future proof PSN for multiple generations going forward. Support for PS3/Vita has to die at some point.

I say this mind you as someone with quite a lot of money wrapped up in PSN at this moment. At some point you just gotta rip the band-aid off and do what's better for the brand going forward.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Problem is, would even that solve the problem? They've had to put a disclaimer saying that even PS4 games prior to this April could have wide ranging problems, so obviously the PS4 is still built to rely on this shoddy old infrastructure. They might outright have to kill support for PS3, PSV and PS4 to finally be rid of the shadow of those stupid design decisions, which is why it's utterly baffling they just didn't get this shit in order for the PS4 launch.

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
So, I changed my name and now Star Wars: Bounty Hunter has a padlock symbol. I have checked everything else and it all seems to be there, checked a few games and they all work as well.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
What I don't understand is why Sony doesn't just allow people to change the shell (aka front facing) name on the account?

Here's what I mean. Click through:

This is the "SHELL" I'm talking about. All of your friends, all online game sessions, and anything that has anything to do with displaying to the public sees this name. Can be changed indefinitely.
Facebook ID/Personal Name etc what your close friends on PSN can see. You can choose to let your close friends see your account name as well if you prefer. This is available and is optional.
This is your original PSN name; this is what PS Store and all other legacy PlayStation services see. Purchases, account reporting, bans, and other administrative stuff happens at this level. This is where PSN currently is with the one above layer optional.
You sign into your PSN using this, any type of changes to your account require this.

After opening all the tags above, you can see what I mean by "shell." All that does is allow players to have a public ID that can be changed indefinitely and it doesn't affect the account holder to their core as the current testing phase does. going back to an older game shouldn't affect it since your legacy name is still there on the account. Older games would just simply use your older name.

Think of it as putting a case on your phone. You're changing the color/look of your phone without physically replacing the entire outer shell of your phone. What Sony is doing is similar to replacing the entire outer shell of your phone and saying "hey by the way, your screen and/or buttons may not work after you switch out the casing. That'll be 10 dollars please"

:|

Mona-chan

Oct 31, 2017
Has anyone else got more codes? Received a code for the name change firmware.

Does it affect any games, especially on legacy platforms such as PS3?

Mar 17, 2018
It's way more than just that. If they cut off support and entirely rebuilt the backend it could future proof PSN for multiple generations going forward. Support for PS3/Vita has to die at some point.

I say this mind you as someone with quite a lot of money wrapped up in PSN at this moment. At some point you just gotta rip the band-aid off and do what's better for the brand going forward.
I'd like to see some of your names lol.

Haribokart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone in the feedback forum suggested clearing dead accounts and also merging accounts.

The latter would interest me as I got the name I wanted a few years back but couldn't bear redoing everything in destiny as my group was raiding weekly so I would have missed out.

It would be great if I could delete that account and use the name on my main .

You can actually fully delete accounts but the name stays tied up.
This sucks, I was really hoping for the ability to delete an account and 'free up' names or merge accounts and choose which name you'd like. Back in 2008 I migrated from the Xbox ecosytem to my first Playstation and created a Haribokart account which I then forgot the password for. Instead of resetting the password I created Haribo_Kart. I have no idea why I did this and have spent a long time regretting it, now I have a a decades worth of purchases, thousands of friends/followers and over 70 Platinum trophies tied to an account with a goddamn underscore. I log into the correctly named account periodically and have hundreds of follow/friend requests from my Twitch viewers. I'm pissed off at myself for being uncharacteristically impatient this one time, that something as insignificant as a _ bothers me so much and that it looks like it's not going to be possible for me to get the correct name for my account!

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll changing my shit name I farted out after 30 seconds thought a decade ago, finally, I don't care if it means I lose parts of my catalogue or my playstation explodes as a consequence, it's getting changed.

Steam - take note, I'm tired of logging in as my teenage email address and seeing it at the top right - I don't care if it's not visible to others, it's visible to me.