• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying to research how much power the PS4 and XBOX One both use in their standby modes, but I haven't really found anything concrete. The info I have found doesn't really factor in keeping games suspended or other features that could be turned on and off.

Does anyone have any personal experience with keeping their systems in standby and how much of a difference they noticed on their power bills? I have both systems and want to keep them both in standby, but don't know if my power will skyrocket because of it!

Karax9699

Banned
Jan 29, 2018
Xbox is barely noticeable for me, I'm from Scotland so might vary per county. But I've 2 in the household and there's virtually no difference.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I should have mentioned that I have the One X and the Pro, so thank you!

Both the Pro and One X seem to sit at 10w with all of their standby features enabled! That's pretty good!

Based on my calculations, it'd only cost around $10-$12 a year for me if I kept one in standby for a year with a game running in the background!

A fun side note is that the regular One uses more power in standby tan the One X does!

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Problem with PS4s is that if you turn on "rest mode USB charging" the console draws significant amount of power, fan still spins for whatever reason and it seems like only thing which is off is the HDMI output. On Xbox USB rail works like on PC, that it's on even if the PC/X1 (I think even X360 did that) is in S1 power mode (2.5W max/port, USB 2.0 standard), you get your juice from USB ports. Obviously when console download something it draws far more power, to spin the HDD, managing files, etc. I don't have the multimeter with me right now, I would conducted a test, because those "power draw meters which plugs into power outlet" and measure power draw from some device, doesn't play nice in todays switched-mode power supply. It does not really shows what you are paying rather than some approximation. This is how it should be done, but yeah, in this case some approximation is totally fine : D https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-we-test-psu,4042.html#p1

And to be clear, if you turn the USB Charging stuff in the setting to off, PS4 is very efficient in Rest mode. My measurements were around 8W on my Pro.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Problem with PS4s is that if you turn on "rest mode USB charging" the console draws significant amount of power, fan still spins for whatever reason and it seems like only thing which is off is the HDMI output. On Xbox USB rail works like on PC, that it's on even if the PC/X1 (I think even X360 did that) is in S1 power mode (2.5W max/port, USB 2.0 standard), you get your juice from USB ports. Obviously when console download something it draws far more power, to spin the HDD, managing files, etc. I don't have the multimeter with me right now, I would conducted a test, because those "power draw meters which plugs into power outlet" and measure power draw from some device, doesn't play nice in todays switched-mode power supply. It does not really shows what you are paying rather than some approximation. This is how it should be done, but yeah, in this case some approximation is totally fine : D https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-we-test-psu,4042.html#p1

And to be clear, if you turn the USB Charging stuff in the setting to off, PS4 is very efficient in Rest mode. My measurements were around 8W on my Pro.

I just turned the USB power off, so thank you for that!

I've been having a problem with my PS4 where I'll put it into rest mode, but when I wake up, the orange light is blinking! I tested it this morning and the PS4 had a 50% chance of just basically staying on and attempting to enter rest mode. I read online that enabling USB power fixes it along with rebuilding the database, so I did just that. I haven't had it get stuck after doing those two things, but if the USB charging takes up so much power (especially for something I don't even use) then I'd rather turn it off and take it from there!

Thanks again!

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
I just turned the USB power off, so thank you for that!

I've been having a problem with my PS4 where I'll put it into rest mode, but when I wake up, the orange light is blinking! I tested it this morning and the PS4 had a 50% chance of just basically staying on and attempting to enter rest mode. I read online that enabling USB power fixes it along with rebuilding the database, so I did just that. I haven't had it get stuck after doing those two things, but if the USB charging takes up so much power (especially for something I don't even use) then I'd rather turn it off and take it from there!

Thanks again!

Just throw me a PM or post in this thread, if the chance of not getting console out of rest mode, this settings somewhat solved or if it's got better.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I only use rest mode if I'm in the middle of something and can't save or if I am going to be back very soon. I also use it for downloading games since it seems to download much faster than while the console is fully on.

I know rest mode is efficient but it's still using electricity. We should all strive to avoid using unnecessary electricity.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just throw me a PM or post in this thread, if the chance of not getting console out of rest mode, this settings somewhat solved or if it's got better.

I have the USB charging turned off and have been testing to see if my PS4 would hang up anymore and it hasn't after 5 or so tries! I've done it through pressing the physical button on the console, with the controller, and even through remote play. It seems that the database just needed to be rebuilt is all!

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
I have the USB charging turned off and have been testing to see if my PS4 would hang up anymore and it hasn't after 5 or so tries! I've done it through pressing the physical button on the console, with the controller, and even through remote play. It seems that the database just needed to be rebuilt is all!

Well I am glad that everything working properly : )

Oct 25, 2017
I recall Digital Foundry testing Rest mode power usage for both PS4's and it's basically the same as idle (50-80 watts). I think Richard even said, "well it's not really a resting mode"

It might depend on what the console is doing - charging, downloading, updating, etc.

Frore

Jan 8, 2018
I just plugged in a Kill-a-Watt to my PS4 Pro and snapped some numbers for you:

Powered Off

7Ur29gh.jpg

Powered On, Main Menu

wnt7OwQ.jpg

In Game (Horizon Zero Dawn)

u6R1AO3.jpg

Standby - No Controller

qELtrOC.jpg

Standby - Controller Charging

pn5S9nh.jpg

I'd say it isn't worth worrying about.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
I recall Digital Foundry testing Rest mode power usage for both PS4's and it's basically the same as idle (50-80 watts). I think Richard even said, "well it's not really a resting mode"

It might depend on what the console is doing - charging, downloading, updating, etc.
Digital Foundry never said what Rest Mode settings they used that can make a big difference they likely had USB Power turned on aswell as the other features

Personally I only use Rest Mode for downloading stuff in background so only have that feature turned on otherwise I always turn the console off

Also I read PS4 Slim and Pro more efficient than OG PS4 so that's good