• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4's catalog, we've devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

We're expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We're currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.

In his presentation, Mark Cerny provided a snapshot into the Top 100 most-played PS4 titles, demonstrating how well our backward compatibility efforts are going. We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch. We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead. Stay tuned!

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
there we go

A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4's catalog, we've devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
GG... I never read it as "only 100" no idea how that even blew up to become a thing. It was clear by what Cerny said.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
So the 100 number was just about running in boost mode then that is good news

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
If Microsoft wasn't there to push Sony, we wouldn't get clarification on this at all

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was obvious that Cerny said they've tested the top 100 and most of them work without any changes/patches. And people took it to mean only the top 100 are being worked on. That's just the beginning of their testing

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
This aligns with how I interpreted Cerny's remarks, but I see how there was a lot of room for confusion. Glad to have confirmation of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne at 60fps?
giphy.gif

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
We're expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We're currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers

Wonderful. 60fps Bloodborne could be on the table.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Good to finally get some clarification, now the only thing I want is a list of games and a list of games which will get an actually enhanced upgrade beyond just the advantages from the boosted frequency.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

We're expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We're currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.

Just as i thought. Most if not all games will be playable on a PS5 but boost mode is the one getting tested. Makes sense.
Great to be confirmed!

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
People actually believed it wasn't like this?
Cerny literally spoke English in that presentation. I guess he must be a liar then.

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
Glad this was cleared up. Leaving all those PS4 games behind would have been a weird mistake.