• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
At the next presentation they will show the same slide and the ps1, ps2 and ps3 logos will reveal themselves !
Next time:

H5dqAWH.png

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
That's why Cerny mentioned the 100 titles. Because they have tested them. And they know the outcome.

They can't say 3,999 of the 4000+ titles work because they haven't tested them. So they have to say 'we believe' (based on the testing they have done) the rest should have similar results.

I don't get why people are getting so confused on this subject.
Some people are just being obtuse on purpose at this point. Sony can't be any clearer.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It boggles how mind how big of a deal some are making this to be, when PS4 doesn't even offer backward compatibility with the previous generation. And, bear in mind, if you already own a PS4, then PS5 being able to play PS4 games is at best a minor convenience. This should only be a major selling point if you don't own a PS4, in which case I could at least understand not wanting to miss out on that entire back catalogue, but again, as Sony has stated over and over, most if not all PS4 games will be playable on PS5 within a short period of time.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
It boggles how mind how big of a deal some are making this to be, when PS4 doesn't even offer backward compatibility with the previous generation. And, bear in mind, if you already own a PS4, then PS5 being able to play PS4 games is at best a minor convenience. This should only be a major selling point if you don't own a PS4, in which case I could at least understand not wanting to miss out on that entire back catalogue, but again, as Sony has stated over and over, most if not all PS4 games will be playable on PS5 within a short period of time.

The PS5 is able to boost PS4 games even past what a PS4 pro can do, so there are *certain* ps4 games with resolution or framerate issues that may see significant improvement on a PS5.

This isn't trivial- I've been holding off on one or two purchases and playthroughs until I can grab a PS5 because of that.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
No dude. Just because you don't care doesn't mean nobody else does. I always wish I could play some of my PS3 games, but I don't feel like getting my PS3 out of storage and going any updates and whatnot. BC is awesome. And the reason this gen is different is because nobody expected PS4 to play PS3 games because of their dramatically different architecture. But pretty much everyone expected PS5 to play PS4 games because their shared x86 architecture.

And I'm happy with Sony's update. Very likely that all the games I own will be playable on PS5.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The PS5 is able to boost PS4 games even past what a PS4 pro can do, so there are *certain* ps4 games with resolution or framerate issues that may see significant improvement on a PS5.
Yep, and also there'll be plenty of people with a PS4 who never upgraded to a PS4 Pro. I'm one of them - so for me, even if the PS5 only plays PS4 games as well as a PS4 Pro, that's still an upgrade for many of my games.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Yep, and also there'll be plenty of people with a PS4 who never upgraded to a PS4 Pro. I'm one of them - so for me, even if the PS5 only plays PS4 games as well as a PS4 Pro, that's still an upgrade for many of my games.

Right. I have a BC PS3, and owned a PS2. The BC on both of those systems was mostly a convenience thing. Some loading got a little faster, some textures got smoothed, but overall it didn't impact the experience much.

The PS5 is promising to do something a lot more substantial.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017

Good point, I hadn't thought of that aspect.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
this image is just mean. LOL. There's enough space for the PS3, PS2 and PS1 logo but it's deliberately missing. The intern that came up with this image must be trolling.
That or ...
thumb_so-youre-telling-me-theresa-chance-quickmeme-com-dumb-and-dumber-50286072.png

lmao

This isn't trivial- I've been holding off on one or two purchases and playthroughs until I can grab a PS5 because of that.
The same here. I plan on holding off on TLoU 2, GoT for the same reason. Trying to find a Switch to quench my shiny new toy thirst. If I get that and BotW, Odyssey, Mario Kart I should be good for months.

Last edited:

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually very true for me too and a big selling point for me personally.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
Cant wait for 4k 60 monster hunter world. I think the resolution is checkerboarded in that game? so i wonder what the actual max pixel count will be when it scales up. and luckily the framerates in all modes are uncapped so they should all hit 60 id pressume.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
To me it's even a better incentive to get a PS5 since I never even had a PS4. Now all Sony has to do to be in my I have to get a PS5 right away is to offer 60fps options for 1st party PS5 games.

MPrza

Oct 30, 2017
Backwards Compatibility feels more important to me this time around. The games coming out for consoles now still feel graphically impressive as opposed to last gen where the graphics and performance of the games made you really feel the console's age. I hope Sony doesn't fuck this up. A lot of these games only need more stable frame rates and 4k and wouldn't feel to ancient at all.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
"Statistical language"? This wasn't a case of misreading dry technical language, it was a series of statements with some linguistic ambiguity which people homed in on one specific interpretation of because Sony's own public relations said it was the correct one in their original blog post.
This is not correct. Both the presentation and the blog post said the exact same thing: that the top 100 games had been tested, and most of them would be playable at launch. Anyone with fluency in English and knowledge of what statistical sampling is will correctly infer the conclusion "most of the entire population of games will be playable at launch."

The opposing conclusion that less than 100 games would be playable, period, is simply not a valid interpretation of what was said. It requires a lack of knowledge how statistics works, and/or an incorrect reading of the meaning of the word "tested". I believe this should become apparent to everyone if they simply restate the exact same logic in another, more familiar context. For example, if you heard this announcement by itself:

"We've tested the smoke detectors in 100 homes in town, and 95 of them work."

Would you then conclude that, out of 4500 homes within the county, only 95 have working smoke detectors? Of course not. You would understand that the correct default expectation would be that 4275 smoke detectors work. That is, the percentage of results is what's being promoted, not the absolute value.

For those in the know or has an educated guesstimate:

1. How do unpatched base PS4 games run on PS4 Pro pertaining to their usage of CU count and frequency?

2. Unless the same principle that applies on unpatched PS4 games running better on Pro applies to PS5, how can PS5 run games with better performance whilst running in the two legacy mode (whereby BC Pro titles run on 36CUs@911MHz and unpatched Base titles on 18CUs@800MHz)?
1. Unpatched PS4 games by default will use 18CU at 800MHz to run. This is exactly the setup of the standard PS4, so the games run exactly the same. If the user turns on Boost Mode, then unpatched PS4 games will use 18CU at 911MHz, the native Pro clockspeed. This increases performance in any area where the game's programming allows dynamism based on load--always framerate, sometimes resolution, and very occasionally in other areas. A very, very small number of games (single digits) have bugs with Boost Mode.

2. The presentation slide listed 3 modes, not 2: "PS5 Native" in there in addition to the two legacy modes. And Mr. Cerny talked about massively higher clockspeed being a challenge. This strongly suggests (though it doesn't prove) that the legacy modes will only be used when Boost Mode is switched off. When switched on, games will have much more power available, and thus the improvements should be far greater than for Pro. But since the boost is greater, it also seems perhaps a larger proportion of games--though still a small minority--will encounter problems. This might require patching by the original developers, like happened with Soma on PS4 Pro.

Were there any PS4 games that didn't work on PS4 Pro, or Xbox One games that didn't work on Xbox One X?
There are no PS4 games that don't work on Pro at all, as far as I know. There are a half-dozen I'm aware of which have some difficulty, though only 2 with reports of crashing and unplayability (at least one of which was patched to fix). I'm much less well-versed in One X stats. But since the equivalent improved "boost mode" is not optional there, I suspect there's also a handful of games that exhibit weird behavior on it as well.

Either way, the portion of titles affected is less than half a percent.

Also, even games with official Pro support would be improved by a PS5 Boost Mode. For example, on Pro DOOM Eternal has a couple minor dropped frames, and a dynamic res that typically hits ~1200p but can go lower. On PS5 it would presumably be completely locked to 60fps, and 1440p at all times (or even higher, if 1440p isn't a hard cap but instead just the best Pro can do pushing toward higher).

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
1. Unpatched PS4 games by default will use 18CU at 800MHz to run. This is exactly the setup of the standard PS4, so the games run exactly the same. If the user turns on Boost Mode, then unpatched PS4 games will use 18CU at 911MHz, the native Pro clockspeed. This increases performance in any area where the game's programming allows dynamism based on load--always framerate, sometimes resolution, and very occasionally in other areas. A very, very small number of games (single digits) have bugs with Boost Mode.

2. The presentation slide listed 3 modes, not 2: "PS5 Native" in there in addition to the two legacy modes. And Mr. Cerny talked about massively higher clockspeed being a challenge. This strongly suggests (though it doesn't prove) that the legacy modes will only be used when Boost Mode is switched off. When switched on, games will have much more power available, and thus the improvements should be far greater than for Pro. But since the boost is greater, it also seems perhaps a larger proportion of games--though still a small minority--will encounter problems. This might require patching by the original developers, like happened with Soma on PS4 Pro.

Thank you very much for the succinct overview- This really is your thing.

1. It is as I had suspected pertaining to increased resolution where dynamic resolution is at play and inherent improvement to performance courtesy of CPU clock uptick.

2. This kind of reminds me of how Fallout 3 would bug out at higher framerate because how physics animation speed was tied proportionally to the framerate. As Cerny said, I can definitely see higher speed being counter productive to engines where certain aspects of the logic can't be decoupled.
Pure speculation- It'd be interesting if validated games came with the own performance profile that'd cap the frequency for CPU and/or GPU so as to provide performance improvements inherent to increased speed whilst being safeguarded against crashes.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is something! So many people claiming things as facts when they are only speculations.

Things that are not facts but speculations:

Claiming that only "almost all" of top 100 games will be available at launch.
Claiming that the "overwhelmingly majority" of ps4 games will be available at launch.

And honestly either of those statements can be correct (though I would guess somewhere in between is the safe bet) but there is no gotcha moment to be had. Some will guess correctly - yay you?

What is stated by Sony

At least "almost all" of top 100 games will be available at launch. It is a lower limit not a upper limit.
The "overwhelmingly majority" of ps4 games will be available at an unspecified time.

From where i stand it really looks like Sony is playing catch up when it comes to BC and I cant see how anyone can claim something else. It is not surprisingly considering MS efforts during this generation and that their BC team has been working exclusively on next gen BC since (at least) E3. All we know from Sony is that they have tested the top 100 games and are confident in their BC (compared to the claimed 100 000+ hours of testing MS is claiming). If Sony actually have caught up at launch I would be both surprised and massively impressed.
It's funny how you get upset with people posting speculations as facts and then post that last paragraph which is all speculation.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
This is exactly how I interpreted Cerny's (and the PS Blog's) statements, but I'm glad they put out a clarification for all the worrywart doomsayers preemptively mourning the PS5 and its "100 game BC library."

Now we can focus on what really matters: PS1/2/3 BC... which I don't expect, but very dearly want.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017

this slide during the presentation was almost as bad and quickly whipped up pricing slide during the PS4 E3 presentation. It's just so badly done, you wouldn't leave that much room at the bottom unless you are physically testing the features and are planning to add in stuff later on.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
The rub here is that, unlike MS's approach, if any games do need to be fixed then it's on the devs to fix them. Which I have a much harder time believing devs will allocate resources towards doing that.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The rub here is that, unlike MS's approach, if any games do need to be fixed then it's on the devs to fix them. Which I have a much harder time believing devs will allocate resources towards doing that.

Except that's not true.

Think about the upgrade from the PS4 to the PS4 Pro: it was not on "the devs" to fix compatibility issues.

Last edited:

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

The fuck? I've wanted PlayStation BC back since the PS3 removed it.

When I got my PS4 I still had my PS3 out, and played it, for years after. With BC I won't have to have both consoles out anymore and it will save me a ton of space and hassle. Also when the Dualshock 4 dies, I won't have to buy a knockoff - like I did on PS3.

It's a very big deal for me.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

And then you have people like me, who own a PS4 Pro but want to trade/sell it when the PS5 comes out, so I'm paying less for the new console while losing nothing and gaining plenty of QoL upgrades.

The fuck? I've wanted PlayStation BC back since the PS3 removed it.

When I got my PS4 I still had my PS3 out, and played it, for years after. With BC I won't have to have both consoles out anymore and it will save me a ton of space and hassle. Also when the Dualshock 4 dies, I won't have to buy a knockoff - like I did on PS3.

It's a very big deal for me.

And you'll be playing the older games on an SSD (well, probably).