• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Btw,
Ofc I always thought PS1-PS3 BC was a 50/50 chance, but isn't the reason thats kinda hard is due to how different the architecture is and how it would probably take Sony longer than they want to deliver PS1-PS3 BC for PS5.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the soma dev had to release a patch to get the game to work with boost mode.

No, all games could work with boost mode, but it would break (very few) games. Boost mode was limited though, and patches usually were more significant, although some patches bafflingly just added visual flair so they weren't any better in terms of performance.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
That's why Cerny mentioned the 100 titles. Because they have tested them. And they know the outcome.

They can't say 3,999 of the 4000+ titles work because they haven't tested them. So they have to say 'we believe' (based on the testing they have done) the rest should have similar results.

I don't get why people are getting so confused on this subject.
Some people like to pretend that they are 5yo and cant come to conclusions by interpreting what someone said. They need everything written, clear. You just need to listen to what Cerny said and if you have two working neurons, you understand what he meant. And because people jump to conclusions (or create click bait threads and articles), they even come and say "Sony's message is bad, they are not handling it well"...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Btw,
Ofc I always thought PS1-PS3 BC was a 50/50 chance, but isn't the reason thats kinda hard is due to how different the architecture is and how it would probably take Sony longer than they want to deliver PS1-PS3 BC for PS5.

While the PS3 is probably impossible due to its hardware design, they could easily, EASILY implement a PS1 or PS2 emulator on the PS5. The hardware isn't the problem, Sony just doesn't want to. They only care about legacy content when they can sell it.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Did we get a list of the top 100 titles?

I'm just curious to see what made it.
Nope, we just have the few sentences that mention the top 100 (by playtime).

I think it'd probably be quite easy to guess most of the list - we can be pretty sure, as a start, that it contains GTA V and RDR2, all the Call of Duty games, every FIFA (probably every Madden as well), the big Sony exclusives, No Man's Sky, Minecraft, Fortnite, the two Destiny games, and probably every game on this list and this list.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Now this is some high level of FUD

FUD? How many developers are going to seriously devote time, money, and resources to fixing issues for years old games that people are done buying? Like, Why would Ubisoft patch AC Odyssey when they have a new AC they want you to buy instead? If Firewatch doesn't work, is Valve gonna do anything about it?

Sony: Um, hi. Konami? Yeah it looks like MGSV doesn't work on PS5. Would you mind going back and patching it?
Konami: lmao

Like, Bloodborne is a Sony-published PS4 exclusive with significant performance issues, and even they couldn't be bothered to issue a PS4 Pro patch.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
While the PS3 is probably impossible due to its hardware design, they could easily, EASILY implement a PS1 or PS2 emulator on the PS5. The hardware isn't the problem, Sony just doesn't want to. They only care about legacy content when they can sell it.
I still have a little of hope that the PS5 will be BC with PS2/3. Just a fool' s hope

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
FUD? How many developers are going to seriously devote time, money, and resources to fixing issues for years old games that people are done buying? Like, Why would Ubisoft patch AC Odyssey when they have a new AC they want you to buy instead? If Firewatch doesn't work, is Valve gonna do anything about it?

Sony: Um, hi. Konami? Yeah it looks like MGSV doesn't work on PS5. Would you mind going back and patching it?

Like, Bloodborne is a Sony-published PS4 exclusive with significant performance issues, and even they couldn't be bothered to issue a PS4 Pro patch.
If boost mode doesn't work on a game on PS5, you turn it off.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

You have to keep in mind that no BC solution is going to be 100%. Even the PS2 and BC PS3 systems - that had physical, hardware BC - weren't 100% compatible. If you want to go even further back, there are even NES and Genesis revisions released within the same generation that didn't work with every released game up to that point. Some games just do weird, unsupported shit.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil

What can man do against such reckless speculation?

We don't know how many games are facing problems
We don't know what kind of problems they have
We don't know how much help Sony need from devs
We don't even know in fact if devs are or aren't interested in these sales

You can say that no game will be patched, but it doesn't mean that it won't be at least partialy playable.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
How in the world does the PS4 had 4000 games anway!??!?

Thats insane , PS1 PS2,PS3 was no where near that number.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Even with boost mode there were only a couple that didn't work (from memory). Liabe Brave could probably clarify.

...hence me saying a few games. There were hardly any, but they did exist.

Why do people keep saying this? Fans with no documentation are making a functional emulator right now. There's no way PS5 isn't powerful enough to emulate a PS3.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the real question is if the PS4 version of Cybperunk gets a patch, or if you have to upgrade it.........to get the PS5 version

If CD Projeckt weren't lying, they'll make the game PS4/PS5 cross-buy.

1) How much do you think an M2 SSD thats compatible with PS5 will cost?

Depends on the capacity. This fall, maybe $200 for 1TB since they will command a top end premium. Most people won't need to upgrade day one, though. When most people are actually looking to pop a new SSD in a few years from now they could easily be under $100 for 2TB.

2)Do you think MS and Seagate's solution will cost more or not?

It should be cheap to make. Uses a very inexpensive controller and QLC flash chips makes it comparable to 1TB nvme drives that sell for $100 today. I'd guess the markup will put it about $150 if they aren't too greedy.

If that's the case, then games that don't work are just gonna not work forever.

They will work with one of the legacy modes.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
the real question is if the PS4 version of Cybperunk gets a patch, or if you have to upgrade it.........to get the PS5 version
This is something I personally want to get an answer to: can PS4 games be turned into PS5 games via patch? I'd like to think yes just because that's how the PS4 to PS4 Pro transition worked, but who knows.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
If CD Projeckt weren't lying, they'll make the game PS4/PS5 cross-buy.

It should be cheap to make. Uses a very inexpensive controller and QLC flash chips makes it comparable to 1TB nvme drives that sell for $100 today. I'd guess the markup will put it about $150 if they aren't too greedy.

I don't think MS will use QLC. The performance is far too variable.

Has Sony announced that they'll be offering cross buy between the PS4 and PS5?

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Well no, because essentially it was the same hardware, but better. However, there are a few games that don't work on PS4 pro boost mode.
Since Xbox One X automatically applies greater hardware (i.e. an obligatory "boost mode"), there's probably one or two titles that don't work correctly on it too. Just no one has bothered to try and exhaustively test.

...although some patches bafflingly just added visual flair so they weren't any better in terms of performance.
This isn't really true. The only patched games without performance improvement (dynamic res and/or framerate) are those which already hit their caps, at locked 30fps and the like.

What were the games?
Soma crashed pretty regularly, for multiple people. The original developer patched the game, and it now works fine in Boost Mode. The only other game to have crashes reported was Tembo the Badass Elephant, but only by one person. It's possible Boost Mode had nothing to do with this.

Grow Up and Slender: The Arrival were playable, but there were reports of audio or visual glitches. Slender is a very small-scale production, though, so it's more likely the bugs were there before Boost Mode.

These 4 games are the full list I'm aware of that had issues reported. It's quite possible there are more, but this simply is too difficult to thoroughly investigate.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
You have to keep in mind that no BC solution is going to be 100%. Even the PS2 and BC PS3 systems - that had physical, hardware BC - weren't 100% compatible. If you want to go even further back, there are even NES and Genesis revisions released within the same generation that didn't work with every released game up to that point. Some games just do weird, unsupported shit.

Of course. But if an approach to BC requires the participation of the game's developers to issue patches, that number is going to be a lot further from 100% than one that doesn't.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Since Xbox One X automatically applies greater hardware (i.e. an obligatory "boost mode"), there's probably one or two titles that don't work correctly on it too. Just no one has bothered to try and exhaustively test.

This isn't really true. The only patched games without performance improvement (dynamic res and/or framerate) are those which already hit their caps, at locked 30fps and the like.

Soma crashed pretty regularly, for multiple people. The original developer patched the game, and it now works fine in Boost Mode. The only other game to have crashes reported was Tembo the Badass Elephant, but only by one person. It's possible Boost Mode had nothing to do with this.

Grow Up and Slender: The Arrival were playable, but there were reports of audio or visual glitches. Slender is a very small-scale production, though, so it's more likely the bugs were there before Boost Mode.

These 4 games are the full list I'm aware of that had issues reported. It's quite possible there are more, but this simply is too difficult to thoroughly investigate.

I think I'd heard of beyond two souls remaster and maybe the other one having issues too. A number of games had stuttering as I recall.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Can't remember off the top of my head. It wasn't anything to be too concerned over. I feel like SOMA had issues? Some games it made really stuttery like Dying Light. Uhh I think Beyond Two Souls remaster?
Beyond may have issues, I'm unaware one way or the other. But the Dying Light thing you're remembering is not a bug introduced by Boost Mode, it's a weird consequence of how the game performs better. The game is double-buffer v-synced, which means it only allows framerates that divide evenly into the vertical blanking interval refresh rate of TVs. That is, the game can run at 20, 30, or 60fps, but not anything in between.

On standard PS4, this means the game is usually 30fps, because it can't ever reach 60. (There are also drops to 20fps when it can't hold at 30.) With Boost Mode, however, interior scenes are capable of briefly hitting 60fps, so they do so. But when it drops, it snaps all the way down to 30fps. This causes an extreme seesaw, which manifests as perceived stutter. Whenever outside, there's enough going on that 60fps can no longer be reached, and the game is a locked 30fps (the drops to 20fps are gone).

Double buffering is a pretty rare approach these days, so this shouldn't be a prevalent problem. And compared to Pro, the PS5 clockspeed increase is enormous, so games like Dying Light might actually just peg to 60fps all the time.

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Oh, I'm not doubting CDPR would do it, I'm just wondering if it's something they would be allowed to do in the first place.

They will resell cyberpunk as a ps5 game and will charge an upgrade fee imo, probably £15 or something. I just hope i can play my digital games off my ps5 on day one. I don't particularly like having too many boxes under the tv, especially if i get the series x.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Last edited:

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! Edit: no that's not what we were talking about here, still nice find. This has nothing to do with bc.
This is exactly what you were talking about, actually. You asked if any games that ran on standard Xbox One had issues on Xbox One X. The article is about a crashing issue of Xbox One software when run on One X.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
They will resell cyberpunk as a ps5 game and will charge an upgrade fee imo, probably £15 or something. I just hope i can play my digital games off my ps5 on day one. I don't particularly like having too many boxes under the tv, especially if i get the series x.

They won't charge for the PS5 version and offer XSX version for free. That's not happening. The only reason it hasn't been announced for PS5 is marketing.

twitter.com

Cyberpunk 2077 on Twitter

“Gamers should never be forced to purchase the same game twice or pay for upgrades. Owners of #Cyberpunk2077 for Xbox One will receive the Xbox Series X upgrade for free when available. https://t.co/nfkfFLj85w”

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is exactly what you were talking about, actually. You asked if any games that ran on standard Xbox One had issues on Xbox One X. The article is about a crashing issue of Xbox One software when run on One X.
Is it actually or had that game an X patch already, meaning it ran natively, but crashed on the X? Because the article is 4 months old.
And no, the question is whether Microsoft's bc tech broke a game on the X that was not patched explicitly for the X.