• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
So do I understand it right? Microsoft offers backward compatibility to almost every XBox generation if not every, and Sony has backward compatibility on PlayStation 4 but holding it back to charge gamers again for PlayStation 2 games they already own?

Microsoft had pretty crap b/c last gen. So this time is their first proper effort at it.

Sony is the opposite. Full b/c on PS2. Decent b/c on PS3. Fucked it up in PS4.

Guardians

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
Of course. This was a business decision, not a technical one. And then it was half assed and not cared about anymore.
Yes, as alot of things Sony is doing! But nobody seems to care about it. But that's not my problem, I'm happy that I bought an XBox One last Black Friday and I can play all XBox games from all generations for free :)

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are 52 PS2 to PS4 games in US Store (perhaps one was removed so 51) and some close number in EU and JP store... I didn't give a random number... I have the full list.

There's more than 30, I was mistaken. But there's 49, not 51. Counting bundles isn't really fair.

Either way, my main point doesn't change that they're not putting PS2 games in a good quantity. It's more than 2 years now and we only have this.

Conjo

Oct 27, 2017
Lei Colmosna
Some of the hacker folks i'm following on Twitter have been posting about unused content from PS4 games.
I'd assume this is somewhat related? There's even some TCRF pages now.
It is. Recently, hackers got to the point of decrypting (and apparently also encrypting) .PKG files. This is the file a Playstation (P/3/Vita/4) download games from the PS Store, it's basically a compressed .zip file. So yeah, with that they can easily check content left in games (I guess... haven't really followed the ps4 scene)

Oct 27, 2017
Skies are always the limit with this. I still have my launch day PS3 going strong with games my PS2 games on there. This is novel though.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised at all, PS3 (all models including Slims and Super Slims) had a complete and working emulator which worked flawlessly with all PS2 games. It was unlocked and released by some dev on jailbroken consoles. I don't know why Sony never released it to public though. Don't know anything about licencing, could that be the reason?
As much as I like to give Sony crap about limiting BC, neither of the two pure software emulators were anywhere near flawless. The one that was meant to work with discs and was never released had poor compatibility, and the one that was actually used for PS2 Classics only worked with games that didn't push the hardware too much (and followed the old PS2 TRC's closely, which was rare).

http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS2_Emulation#PS2_Emulators_types_and_versions
The main issue here is that it's mostly not doable to emulate the GS efficiently with the rest
of the hardware because the RSX is just not meant for this task and cannot emulate the GS on
its own while all the available SPUs and the PPU are already mostly fully used to emulate the
rest of the playstation 2 hardware, this explains why sony never could finish the ps2_softemu
and that it reached a stalling step.

I honestly have no idea on how it would be possible to get over the ps3 hardware limitations to
perform a full ps2 emulation without any of the ps2 hardware present on the console, one thing
for sure is that the emulator would have to be entirely rewritten and optimized like no other
ps3 software has been.

As I recall when it was first discovered it took hackers a while to find titles that worked well, it was never as polished as the PS2 Classics emu and that had serious problems too.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
There is some, and it takes in total like 2-3 months per game. The job is made by sony mostly and not the game devs btw
Sony released ~55 games across the globe (some games are not published in all stores due publishing issues)... that means about 2.5 games per month.

So the PS2 emulation team works in 2-3 games per month.

Last edited:

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's more than 30, I was mistaken. But there's 49, not 51. Counting bundles isn't really fair.

Either way, my main point doesn't change that they're not putting PS2 games in a good quantity. It's more than 2 years now and we only have this.
I already didn't count the bundles. There's 54 items minus 3 bundles = 51.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina

To be fair there are a bit more than that because some games are only released in US, others only released in EU, etc.
Publishing issues.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I would get a second Pro if they put retroarch and the latest cores on it (so real mame-libreto.dll and not mame2003 for instance).

It would be prety nice and I would never update it again (not that I take any of my ps4s online anyway)

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
Hmm...have to check mine. I know I haven't turned it on for a good while...maybe 3 months or so....maybe 6 months...

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony learned a lot this gen.
And what's that?

Btw, I also think it'll be a lot harder to spoof firmware and psn IDs on PS4, because what really happened on PS3 iirc was a full leak of the security keys and that combined with the console hacked wide open was (and still is) hackers paradise.

Which is why I always find it weird when people say Sony has learned. They probably did, but how much is the question. I'm for example rather doubtful they go after people using those save game editors which can be used to gain advantages even in online games (just going by the fact that the makers of these cheat devices tell their customers not to use them to gain an advantage in online games, god bless them)

Omega.X

Oct 28, 2017
I bet you can't play any new games. Most of them have a much newer firmware requirement don't they?

MuzikFreq

Oct 26, 2017
This is a really dumb question.

You can very easily make isos from your PS2 discs.

As far as I can tell, it does not support discs, because you need to package up the iso as a pkg file, which can then be installed.

Maybe they will figure out a way to add disc support later.

It is extremely asinine to suggest that people copying games they have bought from one format to another format are pirates.

I don't this he was suggesting that. more or less "other means" which I can see as semi acceptable due to PS2 games not really easy to get certain ones, ya know. unless spending a couple hundred on a game is totally worth it for playing a classic title. Also the fact that publishers are not making any profit whatsoever.

Now if Sony were to release let's say a PS2 Vitural Console and have their library of all their PS2 games available both on PC and PS4 they could make some decent profits on it... possibly.
I know I would buy into it for some games.
But without this, it's why I don't bother playing PS2 games even though we have a PS2 Slim here. Lot's of setup also the fact that RCA is like a thing of the past and can't even hook it up to some TVs or like ours... It has the jacks but they don't work XD
I did do a memory card hack to pull the OS files on an old PS2 slim which I sold off for emulation but damn that's too much work in itself.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Can't or doesn't? Sony issued a correction before it launched saying it can read CDs, it just doesn't play them. The manual even states it has a CD laser, unlike the online spec sheet that got passed around pre-launch.

I'd be really curious if the hackers have tried CDs; I'm guessing the drive is possibly missing support in the firmware or kernel driver if there's no luck.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft had pretty crap b/c last gen. So this time is their first proper effort at it.

Sony is the opposite. Full b/c on PS2. Decent b/c on PS3. Fucked it up in PS4.

It's not MS' first proper effort. It's the first time NVIDIA hasn't had them by the balls. They did what they could last gen, but they couldn't do much.

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be a cool feature but I can understand why Sony keeps it locked. It inevitably would have compatibility issues with some games, and if it was officially released it would turn into a support headache. Even if it were free people could complain about how they paid their $300 for the PS4 expecting the backwards compatibility to work flawlessly, and cause a backlash when it doesn't. If they charged for the emulator expectations would be even higher. While second-hand PS2s are still plentiful and inexpensive. Eventually the old PS2s will start dying, but by then the PS4 itself will also be an obsolete platform- from a long-term preservation standpoint emulation on computers makes more sense than on consoles.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
It would be a cool feature but I can understand why Sony keeps it locked. It inevitably would have compatibility issues with some games, and if it was officially released it would turn into a support headache. Even if it were free people could complain about how they paid their $300 for the PS4 expecting the backwards compatibility to work flawlessly, and cause a backlash when it doesn't. If they charged for the emulator expectations would be even higher. While second-hand PS2s are still plentiful and inexpensive. Eventually the old PS2s will start dying, but by then the PS4 itself will also be an obsolete platform- from a long-term preservation standpoint emulation on computers makes more sense than on consoles.

I don't think this argument holds water considering prior examples of non-flawless BC (especially Xbox 360) not causing everyone to throw their toys out of the pram. Even if you were to accept that not all games would work well, you could still whitelist those that do, or at the very least honor digital purchases of games rather than resell them to the same customer.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
It's not MS' first proper effort. It's the first time NVIDIA hasn't had them by the balls. They did what they could last gen, but they couldn't do much.

Maybe effort was the wrong word. First proper result?

Either way the og emulator on 360 wasn't great.

Halo 2 used to get these annoying visual artifacts that meant you had to quit and restart to get rid of them.

Nearly every supported game I tried had some issue.

They're more than making up for it now though.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe effort was the wrong word. First proper result?

Either way the og emulator on 360 wasn't great.

Halo 2 used to get these annoying visual artifacts that meant you had to quit and restart to get rid of them.

Nearly every supported game I tried had some issue.

They're more than making up for it now though.

Yea, the emulator itself was kinda crap. There's not really much point in sugar-coating it. Jet Set Radio Future had completely messed up audio (anything with an echo became the loudest thing you ever heard), and ran unplayably slow at times. The PAL version of Panzer Dragoon Orta hard crashes after stage 3. Psychonauts had bounding boxes being draw on screen with an outline. Some software worked fine (such as Team Ninja's stuff), but you clearly still needed to original console.

But yea, they made the effort, even if the result was inadequate.

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
So do I understand it right? Microsoft offers backward compatibility to almost every XBox generation if not every, and Sony has backward compatibility on PlayStation 4 but holding it back to charge gamers again for PlayStation 2 games they already own?

The original Xbox BC on the 360 was kind of bad with numerous glitches, but people tolerated them. MS is doing a far more thorough job this time on the xb1 but will never just let you play anything but select tested games they add to the lost.

Nintendo's emulator on the snes classic doesn't work with everything either.

Why are people entitled to an all encompassing ps2 emulator for free just because Sony made it. Maybe they only ever wanted to offer select games they test and don't want to bother with letting people put old ps2 discs in their ps4.

Conjo

Oct 27, 2017
Lei Colmosna
Maybe they only ever wanted to offer select games they test and don't want to bother with letting people put old ps2 discs in their ps4.
Nah, they just wanted to milk their users. And they have an excuse for doing so. (Trophies, even though many don't care about them. "There's some effort put into trophies so hey, pay again").

Plus, why would it bother them to let people put old ps2 discs in their ps4. (Other than money, because they're selling them to you again)

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Yea, the emulator itself was kinda crap. There's not really much point in sugar-coating it. Jet Set Radio Future had completely messed up audio (anything with an echo became the loudest thing you ever heard), and ran unplayably slow at times. The PAL version of Panzer Dragoon Orta hard crashes after stage 3. Psychonauts had bounding boxes being draw on screen with an outline. Some software worked fine (such as Team Ninja's stuff), but you clearly still needed to original console.

But yea, they made the effort, even if the result was inadequate.

Ninja Gaiden Black had issues too. The challenge levels were borked as far as I remember.

Anyway, I wasn't really trying to take away from what they achieved.

Sony, give me Tony Hawk 3 and you can do whatever the hell you want after that emulator wise.

Here's hoping the PS5 launches with full b/c for all playstations.

I kinda wonder if Sony don't want to do PS1/2 b/c now as it will compare unfavourably to what Microsoft are doing.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The original Xbox BC on the 360 was kind of bad with numerous glitches, but people tolerated them. MS is doing a far more thorough job this time on the xb1 but will never just let you play anything but select tested games they add to the lost.

Nintendo's emulator on the snes classic doesn't work with everything either.

Why are people entitled to an all encompassing ps2 emulator for free just because Sony made it. Maybe they only ever wanted to offer select games they test and don't want to bother with letting people put old ps2 discs in their ps4.
Why?
Because they have a 3 generation reputation of doing it already.