• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
Has worked on macOS for a good while now - the macOS and Windows clients were released at the same time iirc.
Since a while ago, Remote Play is officially available on PCs and Macs
https://remoteplay.dl.playstation.net/remoteplay/lang/en/index.html

Sony still requires special BT dongle for wireless connection on both PC and Mac.
https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/accessories/dualshock-4-usb-wireless-adaptor/
Thanks guys, I recently bought a Mac for school so I had no idea it existed

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Shame it doesn't work over 4G. I've got unlimited data and it would have been a nice way to use it.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
My PS4 will keep rejecting to update based on the su-42118-6 error, right Sony?

Fucking hell, it's like Sony bricked my console while letting it work.

edit. ofc it didnt. they keep having all my games hostage and my PS+ that I paid for one year was used for about a month then this shit happened.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can count on one hand the amount of PS4 games I'd consider playing with touch screen controls. Mostly PS4-based visual novels that I'm yet to go through like Steins;Gate 0, Chaos;Child and Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness.

That said, those games are all quite long and I've struggled to find time to really sink into them. Incorporating playtime into times when my other half is using the TV is gonna create a lot more opportunities to do that, so this is actually a good thing for me!

But I can't see myself playing anything that requires a modicum of more fine input control. Maybe some point & click adventure games at a stretch. But if they want this feature to be useful to most people, they really need to add DS4 support.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Now thats pretty amazing! Now the problem i see, i just have an Ipad Air 2. Will test later to see how it goes.

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
Now what I really need is audio L/R balance control when using headphones.

It's weird that when they produce their own audio hardware, so little of that bleeds over to the PS4. Much more could be done and should be done.

Last edited:

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Sony on a roll with useless updates.
It has actual end-user features, so why do you call it useless? Fair enough if you dont think those features are interesting, personally i wont use these features either, but it does at least add something that i'm sure many people will use and appreciate :)

Last edited:

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
When sharing the screen to my iPad can i use the DS4 connected to my PS4 (so its basically just acting like a second screen) or do you have to use the on screen controls?

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
I recorded some Monster Hunter gameplay on my iPad Pro 10.5". DualShock support would have been perfect but hopefully we'll get it in the future.

Waveset

Oct 30, 2017
Fuck. The Mac app has been updated so it only works on OS 10.13 and above, I'm stuck on 10.11.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
When sharing the screen to my iPad can i use the DS4 connected to my PS4 (so its basically just acting like a second screen) or do you have to use the on screen controls?
The DS4 gets disconnected from the PS4 when you start remote play (and you get disconnected from remote play if you try to connect the DS4 again), so that's a nope.

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
General tips for RP:
- Don't use PS4 WiFi module for internet [it greatly caps the home wifi transfer speed for RP]
- Turn on 60fps game streaming [this reduces lag even in 30fps games]
- Test both PS4 Wifi and Router WiFi for home streaming, find the best one for you.

My PS4 settles down in basic&quiet rest mode when downloads are complete [downloads turn on APU, HDD and cooling fan].

Isn't that only with PS4 Pro?

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
In my 3 minutes of testing, my DS4 disconnected automatically when the Remote Play app connected.
The DS4 gets disconnected from the PS4 when you start remote play (and you get disconnected from remote play if you try to connect the DS4 again), so that's a nope.

That's a shame I was hoping I would be able to play on my iPad with DS4 whilst wife/kids watching the tv , thanks anyway.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Speculative: this will help them prepare a PSNow iOS app. The cloud gaming division handles remote play apps IIRC.

Yup. Also please extend that to my digital games so I don't need to auto-sign in my PS4 and leave it in rest mode.

Anyone tried the app using an MFi controller? I have one in a drawer so that'd be good if lag isn't too bad. I can't see Apple allowing DS4 anytime soon.

I think I read that there was an extension to the MFi spec to support clickable sticks? Are there any controllers out with that yet - I have a stratus which doesn't support that.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Button swap?!?! Finally!!!

My current pro system has X as default as its an imported set. For our region by right its O.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

that happens with regular remote play. You tried the 'two user' workaround mentioned earlier in the thread?

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame I was hoping I would be able to play on my iPad with DS4 whilst wife/kids watching the tv , thanks anyway.

Would make a lot of sense wouldn't it?

I have no idea why you can't do exactly that, besides the goal to add the most potentially useful feature in a way that is completely useless.

To their credit they fucking nailed that.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
The X and O thing will probably be nice for Nintendo fans that pick up a PS4. It took me a while to get used to the A/B buttons on Switch.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Remote play works well enough in terms of quality but the touchscreen configuration...c'mon Sony, get the DS4 MFI certified because I don't wanna play HZD in bed on a touch screen!

MarkMan

Arcade Stick Dev
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
San Diego, CA
I tried both TEKKEN 7 and Resident Evil 2 on my phone... I can see this being nice for some less control needy games, but it wasn't fun on either of the games I tried...

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Hey that's actually a great update! :D Small tip, it won't help with actual Remote Play but if you want to use this as Off-TV Play like the Wii U do this:

- Make a second user on your PS4
- Use the second user to connect via Remote Play
- Use your DS4 controller like you normally would directly connected to your PS4 logged in as your primary user

That way you have no input delay and the Remote Play just works as if it were another screen.

Thanks for this i'll give it a go!

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even think someone would buy their Xperia just for RemotePlay. What's their market share for Xperia smartphones?
The Xperia brand and Sony's Mobile division is not doing great at the moment sadly but I will say that one of the reasons I bought into the Xperia Brand was for Remote Play and so far I have owned the Xperia Z3, Xperia Z5, and I'm currently using the Xperia XZ2 Compact but I will be switching to their new phone the Xperia 1 in April/May whenever they decide to release the phone.

Oct 27, 2017
Hey that's actually a great update! :D Small tip, it won't help with actual Remote Play but if you want to use this as Off-TV Play like the Wii U do this:

- Make a second user on your PS4
- Use the second user to connect via Remote Play
- Use your DS4 controller like you normally would directly connected to your PS4 logged in as your primary user

That way you have no input delay and the Remote Play just works as if it were another screen.
Nice! Will definitely try this. So it works?

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Hm I'll have to test this, though my brother is borrowing the PS4 it right now. If it works anywhere near Moonlight's level, that'll be nice!