• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
Touchscreen remote play is super useful for a lot of games. I actually played the witness on my iPad this way back at release using a PC and moonlight. Used to play some JRPGs that way too.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's very interesting.

Of course controller pairing should be supported, and it would be nice if they got a DS4 to be pairable.

But offering a touch only overlay interface shows potentially how cloud streamed games could work on generic devices without access to a controller.

Can a DS4 be paired with an iPhone at all? Wouldn't it have to specifically support Apple's controller protocol or something? That's not something the app can get around. It's not like on Android where you can pretty much pair any generic Bluetooth controller.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I wish I could swap O and X on a game-by-game basis. Playing my Asian-region copy of Gundam Breaker 3 Break Edition drives me crazy with O being the confirm button.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, nice. I've been wanting this feature for a while, but was too lazy to look up non-official ways to do it.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even think someone would buy their Xperia just for RemotePlay. What's their market share for Xperia smartphones?

The problem is, no one buys Xperia. I don't know why Sony limit the approval their own unsuccessful smartphones on android.

On the other hand. The PS4 remote play is just a little extra that people try for a short amount of time and than forget about it. It's just not very good.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, considering they discontinued it on TVs, I don't see it

There may have been many reasons for stopping support on those specific clients, but a philosophical objection to generic device support was not among them, given that they then went on to support it on PC.

It'll happen.

I recorded some Monster Hunter gameplay on my iPad Pro 10.5". DualShock support would have been perfect but hopefully we'll get it in the future.

Thanks for this. The interface looks nice at least, and I'm glad the analog sticks are 'floating' rather than fixed.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
FD8-F163-B-CAD3-428-B-8-FB8-C7232904-C85-A.png

FD8-F163-B-CAD3-428-B-8-FB8-C7232904-C85-A.png

Two quick screen.Standard 540p screen. I can say that it play pretty well, playing on IOS on Ipad Air 2!

Oct 27, 2017
Is there no way to connect remotely over LTE? If so, this is unfortunately quite useless. I thought maybe I could find a viable option for playing on the subway, as Vita remote play is unusable. Alas, I will continue to play portable games on my portables.

Apr 9, 2018
Tested it this morning with an iPad Pro 9.7 and a iPhone XS, and worked well with my MFi controller, I could even play Call of Duty campaign decently.

I'm connected wired through a powerline adapter from my PS4 Pro to Google WiFi router, fyi, and using 720p 60fps options in the app to reduce stuttering

AwareSnake

Oct 27, 2017
Being able to change my Japanese PS4 from Circle to Cross for confirm is going to be ace. No more confusion when going between English games and the XMB.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Any IOS controller compatible with the remote play app? Touch only is crap.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
A few things -

a) There is no way the Dual Shock 4 will ever be updated to pair with an iOS device, unless Apple radically reworks iOS. It isn't possible to update devices to MFi retrospectively, they have to ship with a hardware based cert on the device, and Apple block all non-MFi devices on iOS. Those of us who note iOS is a huge con to extract licensing fees compared to a proper OS aren't kidding about that bit y'know. Even then, it wouldn't work especially well without changes to iOS's Bluetooth stack.

b) Sony could enable non-Dual Shock MFi controllers in the app, but ultimately they wouldn't have a touchpad and simply wouldn't work sometimes. I don't expect them to do that for this reason.

c) Similarly, one of the reasons the Remote Play app is locked to Xperia devices is because Dual Shock 4 controllers paired to non-Xperia devices don't really work, and it's not fixable without root. Of note is that the Android Q codebase includes commits (from Sony) to fix support for pairing Dual Shock 4's to all Android Q devices, so I suspect that means that Remote Play app will probably be released for non-Xperia devices later this year, but it'll probably be limited to Android Q and above.

d) The one exception to c) is that Sony's own Android TV's can pair a Dual Shock properly today, so if Sony's reading they could release that Remote Play app now so I could remote play into the other room, *hint hint Sony*.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since no DualShock it's not very good. But tried Tetris effect on 1080p 60fps and it'sorks Like a charm. That's really a bummer

Feb 13, 2018
Well at least the second user workaround still works and you can blend out the touch buttons, so I can use the DS4 normally while its connected to my PS4. Its not like I would use this feature outside of my home anyway, so its all good for me.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
Tested it this morning with an iPad Pro 9.7 and a iPhone XS, and worked well with my MFi controller, I could even play Call of Duty campaign decently.

I'm connected wired through a powerline adapter from my PS4 Pro to Google WiFi router, fyi, and using 720p 60fps options in the app to reduce stuttering

which controller are you using? I wanna play FFXIV in bed!

Well at least the second user workaround still works and you can blend out the touch buttons, so I can use the DS4 normally while its connected to my PS4. Its not like I would use this feature outside of my home anyway, so its all good for me.

oh! I'll do this then

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be amazing for ffxiv. Being about to gather ,craft or deal with your retainer away from home will be awesome

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking as someone with a Japanese PS4: YES! I have wanted to swap confirm to X since buying this damn thing. Finally

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
A few things -

a) There is no way the Dual Shock 4 will ever be updated to pair with an iOS device, unless Apple radically reworks iOS. It isn't possible to update devices to MFi retrospectively, they have to ship with a hardware based cert on the device, and Apple block all non-MFi devices on iOS. Those of us who note iOS is a huge con to extract licensing fees compared to a proper OS aren't kidding about that bit y'know. Even then, it wouldn't work especially well without changes to iOS's Bluetooth stack.

b) Sony could enable non-Dual Shock MFi controllers in the app, but ultimately they wouldn't have a touchpad and simply wouldn't work sometimes. I don't expect them to do that for this reason.

c) Similarly, one of the reasons the Remote Play app is locked to Xperia devices is because Dual Shock 4 controllers paired to non-Xperia devices don't really work, and it's not fixable without root. Of note is that the Android Q codebase includes commits (from Sony) to fix support for pairing Dual Shock 4's to all Android Q devices, so I suspect that means that Remote Play app will probably be released for non-Xperia devices later this year, but it'll probably be limited to Android Q and above.

d) The one exception to c) is that Sony's own Android TV's can pair a Dual Shock properly today, so if Sony's reading they could release that Remote Play app now so I could remote play into the other room, *hint hint Sony*.

Thanks for all that clarification.

I guess they could get a future DS5 certified for use with iOS PS streaming apps, but the touch interface seems to be the best compromise for now.

Based on your info about Android Q commits from Sony, I guess the app will come to Android generally soon, with the touch interface, and dualshock support for Q onward.

You can't use a DualShock with this? Why? That defeats the whole point. Screw trying to use touchscreen controls that's horrendous

Mindwipe explains the situation well, above.

That said, even if robust controller support was possible, a touch based fallback would always be desirable.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
IOS remote play sounds cool. So how does it work? Do you get on screen controls or need to pair the DS4 with it?

Also, IOS is a trademark of Cisco??

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
This is a godsend for turn based games/games that don't depend on precise inputs.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Remote play on iOS before Android, despite it already being available but locked to certain phones. Nice.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Remote Play on iOS ?!

I am curious to know if Dualshock are pairable
Nope, that's an iOS-level restriction.

I wonder if you can use an MFi controller (like the Steelseries Nimbus) with the remote play app. It's not ideal (missing the touchpad, share, L3, and R3 buttons), but it's better than nothing.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Thanks for all that clarification.

I guess they could get a future DS5 certified for use with iOS PS streaming apps, but the touch interface seems to be the best compromise for now.

The DS5 being certified also seems unlikely tbh, unless Sony are able to cut a bespoke deal with Apple.

MFi licensing is *expensive* (though less expensive than it used to be). It would almost certainly require paying Apple a royalty on every single PS5 and Dual Shock 5 sold, and I would put the odds of Sony agreeing to that for a fairly unused feature at zero.

I suppose it's possible that future iOS versions will relax the MFi requirement for iPad Pros with USB-C, or that the DS5 might have a standard bluetooth HID controller fallback profile and Sony will tell devs not to outright require the touchpad, but I certainly wouldn't put money on either of those.

Based on your info about Android Q commits from Sony, I guess the app will come to Android generally soon, with the touch interface, and dualshock support for Q onward.

Yeah, that's a plausible scenario.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's also worth noting that the Android Q commit has a comment underneath from a Google engineer saying they haven't decided if they'll accept it yet, so it is absolutely not a given that this will be fixed in Android Q. Though Google would come across as especially dickish if they did not, that does seem to be their attitude nowadays.

EDIT: Actually, there's a comment at the bottom underneath which makes it look like enough agreement has been reached that it is in Android Q, and that "Playstation apps" will be released "in the Android Q timeframe."

https://android-review.googlesource.com/c/platform/hardware/libhardware/+/571762

Last edited:

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I miss the stability in my change log.
Yea, no stability makes the update pretty much worthless.

Just look at Nintendo's updates. So much stability!

The X/O Swap is cool, though. But I assume it only works in the home menu, not in games, right? Would make it too confusing to use.

Edit: Wait what? Only for Japan? Laaaaame. No Stability, no Button Swap. Worthless update.

Last edited:

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London

How does the app work around buttons not available on the MFi controller? Is the touch interface still available?

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Hmmmm ok, good, better than nothing, I know that a few Mifipads have L3/R3 but it's not a necessity for all games. I read that R- Play (the paid app) can use DS4 but only with local streaming. I will try to let the PS4 turned on and remotely play far away from my home, just to test !