• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, transcription of party chat on the second screen? Interesting how well it can work.

And yes, audio quality improvements are mentioned.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I dream of Apple Music support one day. It seems like the Spotify partnership will probably last through to PS5 though.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Oh boy. I wonder if anything as substantial as the boost mode update and downsampling update will ever happen again. At this point in the ps4's life, I'm not really expecting anything as exciting and just wishing they're saving up everything for next gen(by saving, not holding back but rather work in progress just in time for release next year)

yeah I really hope they PS5 will have an OS that has all the current functionalities, as a bare minimum.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
yeah I really hope they PS5 will have an OS that has all the current functionalities, as a bare minimum.

Since the architecture is pretty similar and the PS5 will be completely BC, I think it's safe to say they'll absolutely roll forward with the same OS, save a few visual updates and bells and whistles. I can't imagine them starting from scratch *again* after getting the PS4 OS this far and being pretty competitive with other platforms. Would be a disaster for Sony.

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And you can now type in in the second screen app on your phone and it will be voiced for you in the party chat. Oh boy.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
The biggest party I have ever been in was for FFXIV and it was on TeamSpeak. Too many people all at once. We were all tipsy though on a friday. It was awesome, but other than that never have I been in a large party on ps4.

If anything it is only super annoying. Hell sometimes during story sequences friends will blabber throughout ugh lol.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who the hell has 15 friends that they need to chat with all at once?

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Since the architecture is pretty similar and the PS5 will be completely BC, I think it's safe to say they'll absolutely roll forward with the same OS, save a few visual updates and bells and whistles. I can't imagine them starting from scratch *again* after getting the PS4 OS this far and being pretty competitive with other platforms. Would be a disaster for Sony.

Yeah, agreed. Only thing I'm missing is some more solid media playback support, but to be honest, I have enough other options for that.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I can't even think about any new special features for the menu, and I don' even expect bigger things anymore.
Another redesign of the library menu would be good.
But that I would mainly want because some games/appps show up on the wrong category.
But the update with it restart is a pretty good addition.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Got a code as well, so if any of you want to join, be my guest

Oh and it's EU

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR

The only thing I want from them on the next generation is more constant updates. Waiting 6 months for an update that really brings something new is horrible.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
EU code here, be my guest :
Hidden content

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
i feel like US is already in this beta? I know i've got a Beta update installed on my main PS4. i think it was 6.8 though?

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
The only thing I want from them on the next generation are more constants updates. Waiting 6 months for an update that really brings something new is horrible.

I don't think we'll see a change there, but I'm fine with it. Every 6 months is honestly faster than a lot of other industries.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I don't know, Microsoft manage to release monthly updates (I don't know if they still do this)

Right, but for computers, phones, tablets, and a ton of other consumer devices, Firmware updates with significant feature improvements are usually annual or longer. Also, Microsoft wasn't adding major features every month, so I think it's a big disingenuous to compare monthly updates there to Sony's updates.

Every 6 months is fine. I'd rather have 6 months between updates than have them more regularly with smaller bits of features & (possibly) less reliability.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I think they might have added more Accessibility options as well (larger text, bold text, etc).

Darkkahn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EU code, can be used 19 times:
Hidden content

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also hoping for Android remote play, just because it's easier to carry around than a Vita or iPad.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
It seems like there's a HDR Adjust Menu now (credit to u/stali846 on Reddit)

aEfdEo4.jpg

You can adjust hdr peak brightness, dark and white, you calibrate it to be ready for every game.

Looks like a system-wide solution for HDR?

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
EU code
Hidden content

Mireille

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder how 16 player party will end.. it can be bad nowadays.. cant imagine how bad it can be (Noise and loudness that is)