• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just downloaded and installed this patch. There is no change log. Very odd, I've never seen this kind of numbering scheme used by Sony before. The update didn't need a reboot.

I wonder if this is related to external drives somehow. My 2TB external HD just crashed and is unrepairable.

After the 5.53 update, the God of War 1.11 tiny update took about 20 minutes to copy over. Oh well, at least my saves are safe.

Update:

Last edited:
OP
OP
chanunnaki

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Update: my external storage is reappearing and is currently "calculating..." after the update. Prior to update, my external drive wouldn't show up in storage settings.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna hold off on downloading it in case it's unintentional. Sony've never put out an update with that naming/number scheme before.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I already updated and I'm using an external hard drive. Now I'm scared. There doesn't seem to be a problem tho

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
FUCK, I downloaded it and I thought the numbering looked weird, I hope I didn't fuck up.

OP
OP
chanunnaki

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, my PS4 Pro is repopulating it's Home menu with all the games from my external drive. 1.5TB of games.

Disclosure: I left the PS4 moving over 400GB to the external overnight cos I'm installing an SSD. When I awoke, the crash had occurred. I'm so glad I don't have to redownload all my games.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Just turned on my ps4 now to check, and it was already there starting to update, so I cancelled/deleted.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Weird it appeared out of nowhere and the update size was small. System didn't reboot also the numbering is new

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Think I'm going to turn off automatic system update download. You never know when shit will hit the fan.

Especially when it's Sony.

OP
OP
chanunnaki

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Games are booting fine from external drive. This is rather coincidental that something like this occurred to me after a change was made by Sony.

Another side-effect: my PS4 is now auto-downloading 10GB of patches for 28 games. I'm guess my console wasn't managing its external storage correctly from the beginning. I started using external storage the day it came out. I just wish PlayStation could fix these problems more holistically...

And... now everything seems to be back to normal. What a strange morning.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, very strange that it works just like a game update in notifications. It also told me it would gather more info from my online gaming, I had to disable the option.

No issues though but I'm not using external storage, system info also shows this firmware now.

OP
OP
chanunnaki

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, very strange that it works just like a game update in notifications. It also told me it would gather more info from my online gaming, I had to disable the option.

That actually happened in 5.53, not the latest 5.53-01.

Another bit of strangeness. I tried booting up god or war, only to be faced with a ~50MB patch for 1.13. Then all of a sudden as I write this post, it jumped to 1.227GB!

ndurancejunky

Oct 27, 2017
Interestingly enough, after waking up my PS4 from rest mode (didn't have a game suspended), I was prompted to revisit my privacy settings. Also, there was a new category under 'Gaming | Media', 'Music' (at least I didn't recall seeing that before). Then I got the prompt that there was a firmware update (I do have automatic updates set), which I installed. I've noticed that all of my games are now hidden in my profile for some reason. No reboot required either.
My region is NA, if that matters.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Strange happenings, I'll err on the side of caution and wait this one out.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This is very strange for a PS4 FW update...

No stability GIFs and we're half a page down.

Sony what have you done?

Reick17

Oct 25, 2017
Just turned on my PS4. It asked me to update all of my privacy settings (with new music), then took me to the Home screen. Checked the downloads, and this new patch hadn't been installed yet.

Strange things going on at Sony.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly enough, after waking up my PS4 from rest mode (didn't have a game suspended), I was prompted to revisit my privacy settings. Also, there was a new category under 'Gaming | Media', 'Music' (at least I didn't recall seeing that before). Then I got the prompt that there was a firmware update (I do have automatic updates set), which I installed. I've noticed that all of my games are now hidden in my profile for some reason. No reboot required either.
My region is NA, if that matters.

When's the last time you updated/used your PS4? I had to revisit my privacy settings when I played something last week after not touching it for a month or so; think I updated at that time as well. So it's probably not related to this update specifically.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Already downloaded it before I read this thread, doesn't seem to be any problems so far.

OP
OP
chanunnaki

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, so God of War is corrupted and needs a redownload. That's strange when I was only playing it last night and I've played over 40 hours without issue before...

Seems to Be the only corrupted one thus far. Blood borne, FF15, BF1, TF2, all boot and run fine.

Edit: Doom also fine. Seems god of War caused me issues.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone on a pro - quick try god of war and report back if i can close my window tonight and cancel my scheduled flight with air control?

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Yeah it says games are all hidden now. I unchecked them all but it put them back as hidden straight away.

ndurancejunky

Oct 27, 2017
When's the last time you updated/used your PS4? I had to revisit my privacy settings when I played something last week after not touching it for a month or so; think I updated at that time as well. So it's probably not related to this update specifically.
I've used it daily since Yakuza 6 came out last week, and most days of the week before that. Sounds like the privacy stuff occuring today for me is just a coincidence.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Awesome...I kind of wish I didn't have automatic updates enabled. Hopefully Sony has some sort of response to this and I really really hope this isn't some sort of hacked firmware release. I doubt it, but still...

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Awesome...I kind of wish I didn't have automatic updates enabled. Hopefully Sony has some sort of response to this and I really really hope this isn't some sort of hacked firmware release. I doubt it, but still...

I disabled auto update after this, it's sounds so silly to do it but im not taking any chances these days.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I installed it but my console didn't rebooted once it was finished like normal updates.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So I just checked and yeah, my games are hidden from players...where do I change this?

Mavrick07

Oct 28, 2017
camera.0.gif