• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Is this the first time that a company has sold a pre-loaded F2P game in a bundle?

I was gonna ask this... kinda weird to see. Obviously the biggest game of the moment but also, you don't need to bundle the game. It's a free download for everyone. I guess a skin and $5 worth of Fortnite bucks (not quite enough to buy a Battle Pass...) is enough? Retailing for the same price as a standard PS4 anyway.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What a weird bundle. So the only real value it adds is trivial virtual currency and an exclusive skin? Because the bundled game is free obviously. At least it's the same price as a regular console I guess.

I guess the incentive for Sony was to have Fortnite on the box basically. Could be a shrewd move if that works.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Ha! I made a thread on reddit speculating sony will do some sort of partnership with epic and got downvoted. I didnt expect a console bundle tho i just expected some playstation character skins in the game.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
and a skin that you will be able to sell for $100+ on ebay...

Yeah that skin is gonna fetch big bucks. To put it in context, the Founder's Sea of Thieves sail (that went out to everyone who played in the alpha and beta) was going for about $200 on eBay when they first sent them out. It was a white sail with an icon on it. You could probably pay for this console by selling that code.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
So if someone wants this skin, they have to pay the equivalent of a console in order to get it??? What if someone already has a PS4?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
"Bundling" a f2p game feels really silly. But it does make people more strongly associate the game with said platform, so i guess it's a smart marketing move, mostly.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
Talk about a spit in the face to the gaming community.

People kept on joking about arrogant Sony being back. Well I don't think it's a joke anymore.

Musiol

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a physical edition of the game of is it just a mock up on the box ?
I don't know if it's still available, but when Fortnite launched on PS4, there was boxed version with some kind of bonuses.
small_1639415621.jpg

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I guess sales of this bundle will be an indicator of how much the general public give a fuck about cross progression.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
So if someone wants this skin, they have to pay the equivalent of a console in order to get it??? What if someone already has a PS4?

That's why they say the skin is exclusive. It's not meant to be available to everyone. Technically it will be available outside of this box, you'll just have to spend hundreds of dollars for a code on eBay!

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Buy the bundle then sell the console. Which you can trade in for a Switch. I think there was a offer somewhere where they value the PS4/Pro at $250 as long as you trade it for switch. I think it was gamestop.

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
I always found the idea of bundling a F2P game stupid, because basically every sold console comes with Fortnite anyway.

I guess having this box on store shelves will sell gangbusters though.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
"Bundling" a f2p game feels really silly. But it does make people more strongly associate the game with said platform, so i guess it's a smart marketing move, mostly.

I would agree normally but this is Fortnite lol. This would honestly sell like crazy if it was a holiday bundle.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is good timing. I can imagine this selling a lot especially when kids don't need a subscription to play F2P games.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Bundle, but it's a free-to-play game... This seems like the worst bundle (value wise) they've released.

How much is 500 V-Bucks worth?

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Bundle, but it's a free-to-play game... This seems like the worst bundle (value wise) they've released.

How much is 500 V-Bucks worth?

Read the thread?

By the way the bundle includes the PVE part ( Save the World) which is sold at 39,99 ( IIRC).

https://www.everyeye.it/notizie/pla...-in-vendita-partire-dal-16-luglio-334392.html

*Link is in italian

Ludens

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
I always found the idea of bundling a F2P game stupid, because basically every sold console comes with Fortnite anyway.

I guess having this box on store shelves will sell gangbusters though.

Thats the point. Fortnite is the biggest game right now. And this move from Sony is damn good to attract casuals etc. Sony winning the rest of summer NDP is on a lock lol.

So no its not Stupid.