• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I wonder what kind of negative data they had that forced them to actually go through with this, haha. You only make a move like this if it starts to negatively affect you, then try to spin it as "we listened and now we're delivering."
Probably saw a loss in revenue with Fortnite microtransactions and asked how well the others were doing.

Will TYE

Nov 9, 2017
I traded in my pro last year for the X to play with friends and have missed playing on playstation, this move will make me jump back on the playstation as i have ways to party chat with xbox friends and play fortnite with them which is the game mostly played, if it opens up to more games then goodbye xbox.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Why are people so mad about the arrogant sony thing? Their comments were literally arrogant. Had they just came out and said they did it for money like any business I would have less of a problem. But they literally "had or revealed an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities". Arrogance.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohhh. So name changes coming soon?
I hope so, it sucks they're saving a standard ass pre-2000's level feature for a major event announcement to get a pat on the back, but I'll definitely be the first in line to use it. I have legit the most embarrassing name on the internet, i put it in jokingly thinking they would never allow it and yet here we are a decade later..

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
IT'S LIVE
jnYrRPH.jpg

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Imagine fighting games with crossplay between PC, PS5 and Nextbox going forward, that would be fucking awesome! Please make it happen everyone!

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Because they pretty much have to revamp PSN to do it, and that takes a lot of time and money. Seems like the opportunity cost is there now to do it.
LOL no they don't, it's literally been turned on by the flick of a switch before. It's 100% NOTHING on their end, their game doesn't even know if you are connected to an xbox player if the server doesn't say anything about it.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I hope I can still play against people with Dualshocks only instead of playing against peope with mouse and keyboard.

TSOLfan

Oct 27, 2017
There
I wonder what kind of negative data they had that forced them to actually go through with this, haha. You only make a move like this if it starts to negatively affect you, then try to spin it as "we listened and now we're delivering."

Curious if these had any help in them making that decision:

bundle_fortnite_box.jpg

940X528-8-hero.jpg

Two systems that did support cross play already with newly announced bundles with console exclusive loot, almost encouraging people to pick up both.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018

bundle_fortnite_box.jpg

940X528-8-hero.jpg

Two systems that did support cross play already with newly announced bundles with console exclusive loot, almost encouraging people to pick up both.

I honestly cant believe someone would buy this

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly cant believe someone would buy this
Why wouldn't they? It's the biggest game in the world.
EDIT: also wtf, hadn't seen that xbox bundle, Nintendo got shafted the xbox skin is clean as fuck. If anything Sony should be mad, they just got Raider Raptor that has been in save the world forever iirc.

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine fighting games with crossplay between PC, PS5 and Nextbox going forward, that would be fucking awesome! Please make it happen everyone!
Especially games with smaller player bases on certain platforms will benefit hugely.

Seems Sony has seen the signs of the times and that the headache of coming up with flimsy justification for not doing cross console play wasn't worth the hassle.
Sucks for some diehard fanboys ego though. Poor little things.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Did they confirm that the account lock is being removed? I find it weird that the crossplay is supposedly up but I still can't use my Epic account on Switch.
At least in the link from the twitter post it says:

"The first step will be an open beta beginning today for Fortnite that will allow for cross platform gameplay, progression and commerce across PlayStation 4, Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, and Mac operating systems."

They mention cross progression and commerce so is to expect to be able to loging with ur account in any system back and forward. They just announced this so might not still be working at 100% in all systems.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I hope I can still play against people with Dualshocks only instead of playing against peope with mouse and keyboard.
It's opt-in you'll only play with console players, unless you join or get joined by a friend on PC. Also, People on PS4 who plug in a KB&M get put on PC servers. It's likely the same will happen with those on Xbox too, now that they'll probably get KB&M options.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
We did it!

I'm honestly shocked. I thought they would wait until next gen for this, but this is awesome. Let's hope it happens for more games and not just FN!

darkside

Oct 26, 2017

bundle_fortnite_box.jpg

940X528-8-hero.jpg

I thought there was a PS4 Pro Fortnite bundle?

Theres even a Dualshock 4 controller Fortnite bundle

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At least in the link from the twitter post it says:

"The first step will be an open beta beginning today for Fortnite that will allow for cross platform gameplay, progression and commerce across PlayStation 4, Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, and Mac operating systems."

They mention cross progression and commerce so is to expect to be able to loging with ur account in any system back and forward. They just announced this so might not still be working at 100% in all systems.
The lock is out and it is now live.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I hope we get to a point where cross player is completely up to the developer/publisher and not the platform holders.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Why wouldn't they? It's the biggest game in the world.
EDIT: also wtf, hadn't seen that xbox bundle, Nintendo got shafted the xbox skin is clean as fuck. If anything Sony should be mad, they just got Raider Raptor that has been in save the world forever iirc.
It's free lol

AllBusinessJr

Oct 27, 2017
Are you logging into your Nintendo account on Nintendo's site or epicgames' site? You have to use Epicgames site.

Unreal Engine?
I'm not seeing an option to unlink via the Epic games website. They're blocked at my work, so I'll try when I get home. Unfortunately, the mobile site doesn't have an option to unlink and I can't force the desktop page to load.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Good, they were being unnecessarily stubborn on this issue. Glad they decided to go ahead with it!

Although, has the account lock been lifted as well? If not, then they didn't resolve the main problem.

Just my opinion, but I'd be weary about linking your accounts until they leave beta... if that article posted earlier in this thread that leaked all of this informationon crossplay months ago is correct (obviously it is) then that means Sony is only using the "beta" to test the waters, which means they still have the back pocket option to renege on this, potentially going back on it if it proves to not be a profitable move. What happens to your account if they change their mind?

I'm going to test the cross play for sure, but no way am I going to use my second account I had to make while Sony is pussyfooting around. That's playing with fire.

Aug 29, 2018
This kind of confirms backwards compatibility in my mind for next gen, clearly Sony doesn't want to give Microsoft a leg to stand on and people will be making more of a fuss about that once they realize the implications

PS5 Winter of 2020? Originally thought it'd be 2021 but idk, for some reason it feels sooner now