• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Sony are quickly realising that Xbox has become the better platform

10458.jpg

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Question, I might be in a pickle:

Before the game came out on Switch, I played casually on PS4, but didn't make any purchases.

Once the Switch version launched, I was all in. It was my main account and I made several purchases.

Is there no way for me to, now, log in to my Switch account on my PS4? Is my PSN account forever linked to a DIFFERENT epic account?

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I expected Cross Play to happen but with the PS5 as a big "Hey guess what we're also doing at launch of our next gen console?". That said I can see this as much as a pro consumer move after all the ruckus from people as much as one to undercut the PR boost it gives Nintendo and MS so they have one less thing to boast about.

Its honestly something for them to all boast about IMO, this is going to be great.

Besides typical crossplay stuff, I'd love to see a game maybe use the different consoles as potential online factions and implement that into actual gameplay scenarios.

I.e. something like Fortnite w/ 33XBO v. 33PS4 v. 33Switch console squads would be crazy fun.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Question, I might be in a pickle:

Before the game came out on Switch, I played casually on PS4, but didn't make any purchases.

Once the Switch version launched, I was all in. It was my main account and I made several purchases.

Is there no way for me to, now, log in to my Switch account on my PS4? Is my PSN account forever linked to a DIFFERENT epic account?
Log into epicgames with your PSN information. If it ask to create an account, do so. Doesn't matter what the username is as it will be a throwaway. Then unlink said PSN account in settings. Now you can log into your actual epicgames account and link your PSN.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
Once it leaves beta, definitely.

Until that though? I'm just tossing it out there to help avoid potential frustration if they change their mind before the "beta" ends. We all know there is nothing Sony had to do on their end to enable crossplay outside of giving the word, so the beta is indeed Sony showing up to a pool party with a business suit on, they're monitoring the money, not doing it strictly for the goodness of it. We'll know in December if they're actually jumping in.

Yup, been calling this a 'financial beta' lol. I think there has been some internal strife on this issue within Sony and this is the compromise between those who want to implement cross-play and progression and those who don't.

Gamers better hope this doesn't greatly negatively affect Sony's earning from MTX for this game. Smart on choosing Fortnite first since it'll be a lot easier to see the effects with so much money coming in from it.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Its about damn time.

A big solid throbbing middle finger to each and every lame fanboy that fought against this for the sake of console wars.

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, been calling this a 'financial beta' lol. I think there has been some internal strife on this issue within Sony and this is the compromise between those who want to implement cross-play and progression and those who don't.

Gamers better hope this doesn't greatly negatively affect Sony's earning from MTX for this game. Smart on choosing Fortnite first since it'll be a lot easier to see the effects with so much money coming in from it.

I doubt with it being an official blog post and the president of SIE stepping in personally to confirm this, this is just for show for a few minutes. While I agree that there is a financial observation going into this, I also believe there are technical pieces that need to be established before it's 100% live. They aren't going back on this and I don't understand the delusion that they would....At this point, with it being in the news, that possibility is dead.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Log into epicgames with your PSN information. If it ask to create an account, do so. Doesn't matter what the username is as it will be a throwaway. Then unlink said PSN account in settings. Now you can log into your actual epicgames account and link your PSN.

Ah, I see, thanks.

Looks like PSN account unlinking is suspended until November. So at least I WILL be able to do this later

Oct 27, 2017
Lol what is this 'Good Job Sony' crap? They reluctantly gave in after too much pressure. A veritable Mel Gibson apology.
Still, good for the people, everywhere.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Yeah, I could not wait to tell him the news! He already had a good bunch of mates to play with but now the walls are down, ITS SO GREAT!
I'm happy for him. Almost brought a tear to my eye.

It reminded me when Minecraft better together update went live on the Switch, and my daughter cried happy tears to play with friends from school.

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
Good. This is why public pressure is important. I'm definitely not gonna praise them for doing what should've already been done though. Next up is Microsoft charging to play free games online.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
This has already taken over the front page of Reddit, with three different threads near the top.

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
People need to remember that just because Sony is allowing cross play now doesnt mean all developers/publishers will want to do it.

The only big publisher that even said anything about it was Bethesda and now we just need to see if they are going to back up.

EA, Ubisoft, Activision etc, I don't believe have shown any interest in crossplay/progression.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
I doubt with it being an official blog post and the president of SIE stepping in personally to confirm this, this is just for show for a few minutes. While I agree that there is a financial observation going into this, I also believe there are technical pieces that need to be established before it's 100% live. They aren't going back on this and I don't understand the delusion that they would....At this point, with it being in the news, that possibility is dead.

You know what, you're right. With name changes most likely coming later this year, it seems that Sony really has quietly revamped PSN and are currently testing the new system. I do hope to see this becomes more widespread, while I don't care about Fortnite, FIFA crossplay is the dream 0.0.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
People need to remember that just because Sony is allowing cross play now doesnt mean all developers/publishers will want to do it.

The only big publisher that even said anything about it was Bethesda and now we just need to see if they are going to back up.

EA, Ubisoft, Activision etc, I don't believe have shown any interest in crossplay/progression.
Cross-play is only a good thing for publishers, more players to matchmake with = a more healthy game, I doubt many will be against it.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, for fuck's sake. I can't link my dummy epic account that I use on PS4 to my main one that i use for PC,Xbox One and Switch because accounts can't currently be unlinked. Is there a way around this without losing on the shit on my main account, or am I going to have to wait until November?

darkside

Oct 26, 2017

Considering how PC / PS4 crossplay (or PC / XB1) has been a thing forever and how few companies actually implement it this is definitely the case.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

There's no chance anyone is against it, healthier game ecosystems, higher engagement accross the board. Engagement is what these companies thrive on these days with GaaS being their big money makers. You're ALWAYS going to drive more engagement when people can be more social with more people.
Considering how PC / PS4 crossplay (or PC / XB1) has been a thing forever and how few companies actually implement it this is definitely the case.
No, it hasn't. and most of these games are shooter or at least shooter like, where PC has a huge edge, and if consoles can't crossplay it leads to there being little point in implementing it. I expect console crossplay in MOST of these titles now.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, for fuck's sake. I can't link my dummy epic account that I use on PS4 to my main one that i use for PC,Xbox One and Switch because accounts can't currently be unlinked. Is there a way around this without losing on the shit on my main account, or am I going to have to wait until November?
Gonna have to wait.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom

True, but now that Sony have removed their arbitrary restrictions we know that the blame for lack of cross-play lay in the hands of the developers, not the platform holders.