• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Great job Sony.

I gave them tons of shit over their non-answers and not allowing it the last couple years, so it's only fair I give them credit when they listen to consumer demand.

This really is a huge leap forward for gaming today. More and more games will be open to it knowing that all the major platforms are on board. No longer will we be segmented based on what plastic box we own.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, for fuck's sake. I can't link my dummy epic account that I use on PS4 to my main one that i use for PC,Xbox One and Switch because accounts can't currently be unlinked. Is there a way around this without losing on the shit on my main account, or am I going to have to wait until November?
You have to unlink your PSN account from it's dummy EPIC account. Then link you PSN account to you main EPIC account. It's the only way I think.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yay fuck the children.

Lol

Good on Sony though.
Turkish-Swat-Team-Fail.gif

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Well done to everybody who kept the pressure on and never took the bullshit response as final. Shame on everybody who shilled for a company and posted about fucking hurting bottom lines.

This is what future online gaming is all about.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but does this also mean cross-progression is allowed now too?

Will I be able to use my PS4tnite account on Switch?

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
This legitimately means a lot to me and I'm so happy they are reversing this decision. I've got young kids that play across multiple devices and it's really been a pain in the ass.

Such good news!

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
how did you logout from your Epic account in the Switch version? i made a dummy account for the Switch and I want to use my PS4 Epic account
I never actually played Switch Fortnite before now (I never created a second account).
I only installed it as a curiosity a couple of months back to see the cross-progress-lock (attempting with my PS4 Epic account) when the news was at a climax.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
VP of Publishing at Psyonix

Sounds like this was a case of shareholders getting on the CEO's back about the controversy surrounding Fortnite, so Sony have rushed out their crossplay policy with Epic games first.

We know it's as easy as flipping a switch, Epic already accidentally did it. So I can't imagine any other reason why Psyonix is waiting for Sony's permission to go crossplay.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
how did you logout from your Epic account in the Switch version? i made a dummy account for the Switch and I want to use my PS4 Epic account
You should be able to log into your switch account on the website and it'll ask you to create a full epic account. You'll have to do that and then you can get to the connected account page to delink it from Switch.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
People need to remember that just because Sony is allowing cross play now doesnt mean all developers/publishers will want to do it.

The only big publisher that even said anything about it was Bethesda and now we just need to see if they are going to back up.

EA, Ubisoft, Activision etc, I don't believe have shown any interest in crossplay/progression.
You think Ubi wouldn't want crossplay on a Ghost Recon?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm confused, so many people in the other thread said that this would never happen know matter how much we discussed it openly.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Bizarre to see the claims that Sony might go back on this. There is quite literally a 0% chance they decide to disable this again now that they've finally enabled it and the reaction has been so positive.

Think of every PR nightmare in modern gaming history. Now double it. They're not going to do that.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Usually when they say they don't have anything to add at the moment, it means they're working on it.

But telling people to ask Sony for comment, I get the feeling that Psyonix hasn't even really been contacted yet regarding it.
I think that's likely, and I don't expect Sony to just allow games to do it easily if they haven't even talked to Psyonix about it who has been their partner for years and asked for crossplay for years.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Huge kudos to Sony for this. You can absolutely say they reluctantly gave in after too much pressure, and you know what? Who cares. They realized this is something that is important to gamers and swallowed their pride.

Now let's see Minecraft and Rocket League among others added to the mix. Don't stop now Sony.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Excellent news, glad Sony finally decided to fix their anti-player stance regarding crossplay, should have been like this from the beginning.

I play on Switch and this means I can now play with one of my friends who has a PS4 too which is nice!
I've mainly been playing together with friends who have it on Switch/PC! :)

I do hope this means Sony would be willing to do this for every game possible going forward...

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
People need to remember that just because Sony is allowing cross play now doesnt mean all developers/publishers will want to do it.

The only big publisher that even said anything about it was Bethesda and now we just need to see if they are going to back up.

EA, Ubisoft, Activision etc, I don't believe have shown any interest in crossplay/progression.

EA actually has while disucssing FIFA and Battlefield:

"It's something we're aware of," he said. "I'm not making any promises. But you've seen that [cross-platform play] happen for the first time very recently. If you'd asked me that a few years ago I'd probably have said, 'it's not going to happen. We'll monitor and see.' I think it would be a net benefit to the users.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...19-cross-platform-play-a-net-benefit-to-users

Wilson went on to say that the company was, in the near future, open to cross-platform playability. "We're looking at key franchises in terms of how we should deliver cross-platform play in a similar way that Fortnite has, especially some of our titles that have a broad and diverse player base," he said. "The ability to bring PC to mobile or mobile to console can bring family and friends together, and we think that's an important part of our future development profile. Expect more from us on that front in the future."
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...rm-playability-for-battlefield-v-future-games

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, took you long enough and thankfully they reconsidered, they were looking arrogant and that was hurting their image.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, been calling this a 'financial beta' lol. I think there has been some internal strife on this issue within Sony and this is the compromise between those who want to implement cross-play and progression and those who don't.

Gamers better hope this doesn't greatly negatively affect Sony's earning from MTX for this game. Smart on choosing Fortnite first since it'll be a lot easier to see the effects with so much money coming in from it.

New Season starts tomorrow.

I think they'll be pleasantly surprised to see that it encourages more people to play overall, knowing they can play with friends on other platforms which will also encourages more spending when they see all the skins

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony had to be dragged kicking and screaming into this. Don't give 'em kudos for something they should've been on board with from the start.

Fortunately, Fortnite BR was simply too massive for Sony to ignore the crossplay complaints.

Maxflier

Nov 22, 2017
Louisiana
Word of warning to those unlinking Switches to tie them to your PS4 Epic account, it resets your in gmae settings, so you may want to make note of your sensitivity settings befoe you unlink.