• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hoping/assuming this means previously affected accounts will be cleaned up, re: the lockout on Sony's side. This is a fantastic development, and I know when this rolls out publicly, there will be a lot of happy people around my circles.

We see the beta as an opportunity to conduct thorough testing that ensures cross-platform play is best on PlayStation, while being mindful about the user experience from both a technical and social perspective.

For an online experience like Fortnite, that's a really amusing way to posture the changes. It's like someone insisting to everyone else in the room that they're the best at socializing, not them. :P

jackissocool

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
Wow! I didn't think this would happen. I was sure they were locked in. So can I already continue my Fortnite account from PS4 on my switch? What is the scope of the beta?

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Can I finally use my stuff on other consoles Sony? I'd love to play on my Switch at school and play with my friends who play only Xbox.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is awesome :) good job keeping up the pressure.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I think this is good news for all players. Does anyone think they are only doing this because they felt the pressure could affect their bottom line?

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Stop using the tired "b-but last gen microsoft would do the same" excuse and answer the point.
Sony doesn't need to please their shareholders anymore? How it made sense one month ago and it doesn't anymore?
Because the backlash was bad PR. Bad PR leads to to potentially lost sales.

I'm glad people made noise. Sony clearly misunderstood the desire for cross-play, and the Switch situation was a shit show.

I don't get why responding to someone who says "why would sony do this" and giving a reason makes you a fool.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Victory! Great news for gaming as a whole.

Oh no, what are the people who defended the decision going to do now? You're all going to get the xbox/switch cooties !!!

I laughed out loud, well done.

See complaining works don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Great job and a good step forward.

Absolutely.

"it makes business sense"
"sony needs to please the shareholders, not you"
"ps4 gamers don't care, this is all whining from other platforms"
"it's not gonna happen and i'm fine with it, i want my walled garden"

those old crossplay threads will be a treasure trove for embarassing posts

I have to admit I am tempted to go back and pull some of the more... interesting posts from users who were keen on explaining to everyone else "how business works". But whatever, fanboys will always be fanboys and this is a great first step towards establishing cdoss-platform play as the industry standard.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit

Why do they need a beta? Is PSN that unfriendly? Or is it just a way for them to cover their asses to look like theyve always wanted this but were tied down?
Most likely there might be issues with account migrations and this lets people know that not everything might work properly.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
As long as it's optional, PSN has been relatively a good place to game in the past decade.

Dlacy13g

Oct 27, 2017
California, USA
Glad they came around as it was a greedy and bad look for them. So now we have the beta on the game that already proved it could be done with their "accidental" flip of the switch more. Well...its progress.

Edit: speculating and wonder if this is something PUBG was also seeking to come to PS4 as they are going to need larger pools of crossplay devices to help offset what they are going to lose from Blackout?

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Now that Sony opened their gates, I wonder how will this translate to, when next gen comes around.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
A beta?

Microsoft must have really caught Sony off guard with cross platform play if Sony had to develop new software to run it.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I can only assume their backend tech didn't easily allow for cross-play, so they thought they wouldn't bother working on it until the backlash. In any case, this is a great result!

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
giphy.gif

HOLY SHIT!

They didn't need to do, but they did.

Maybe Kodera isn't so bad after all.

Maybe...

You already got it right? Need free blowjob too?

Wait, you normally pay for yours?

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Brilliant news. I was worried Sony were getting arrogant again and PS5 might have a bit of a PS3 situation, but this shows that they are still listening to us at least somewhat.

Many of us mocked it at first but 6.0 was low-key the best update yet!

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The amount of anger in here is surprising to me seeing as it's what everyone wanted. Who cares if they're late -- they still actually gave you exactly what you were asking for.

Unbelievable.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Finally !!!

Hope they don't forget about cross progression !!!

To be vocal about something you care produce results !!!

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with the new title either. This is Sony allowing Fortnite to finally cross-play with Xbox and Switch with a look towards other games to do the same in the future. It's bigger than just identifying a path towards cross-play, today PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC, Mac, Android and iOS players could play together on the same game for the first time ever.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Holy shit

Why do they need a beta? Is PSN that unfriendly? Or is it just a way for them to cover their asses to look like theyve always wanted this but were tied down?

It's for the better. Let them test account migration and cross progress first and of course server migration. Not that there is an error and everyone including mobile and switch is playing against PC users and stuff. It makes sense.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this means your Fortnight account is no longer isolated if you link it to a PSN account and progress is shared across all platforms.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
update 6.0 is showing its true colors, PS Now downloads and cross play, that's megaton choices for a few gamers.