• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
That defensive move before the start of the next-gen, where the PS5 will go the XBO route if Sony continues with anti-consumer practices.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Yes, Sony listened finally! And this is why it's worth making as much noise as possible. No more barriers for gaming!

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

OldfashionedSpottedIndri-size_restricted.gif

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Finally!
Still looks bad on them to be this late, but the earlier they do this, the quicker they can recover.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think this has to do with update 6.0? Backend changes on PSN?

I cant imagine why theyd cave when they could have continued being dicks and ignored it

This is such a feel good moment
Doubt it. I mean, Fortnite has had crossplay enabled accidentally on at least two occasions. So at least in Fortnite's case the matter was trivial and completely blocked by Sony red tape.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Or we bitch about something that effects most PS fans(not select few like this ) like digital refund or removing region locked save ?

Who's stopping you? The "crossplay people" are pointing a gun to your head and saying "shhh no refunds before we get what we want" or something? What a weird thing to be upset about. If anything sony caving in to crossplay is a good sign for the people who want whatever else.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping/assuming this means previously affected accounts will be cleaned up, re: the lockout on Sony's side. This is a fantastic development, and I know when this rolls out publicly, there will be a lot of happy people around my circles.

For an online experience like Fortnite, that's a really amusing way to posture the changes. It's like someone insisting to everyone else in the room that they're the best at socializing, not them. :P

That post is kind of scary. Sounds like they are brewing some sort of exclusive features. We'll see I guess.....

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
oh I should post a mod note shouldn't I

Updated thread title to try to fit in info about Sony looking into cross-play for other games

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Another lose cause :(

I hope it is turned off by default or at least a system level options to turn it off.

Do we really still need to constantly point out that Fortnite's crossplay is always off by default, and how the addition of other consoles is hardly going to negatively affect gameplay balance with the existence of PCs and mobiles already in the picture.

Is this hill worth dying and resurrecting on this consistently?

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Dang. I'm really happy to see this. It shows that Sony isn't going full arrogant again. I honestly didn't think they'd do it.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Whilst it wasn't notably affecting console sales, I can imagine it was actually having an affected on where people with multiple devices were opting to play the game. There's also the fact that Fortnite wasn't the first and likely wouldn't be the last big game to cause a scene about the lack of crossplay. There was Rocket League and then Minecraft before it. The Switch taking off the way it did likely just made the stance not worth upholding anymore.

There's also Bethesda's pressure. Losing big games from a pub like Bethesda would be a huge loss for them in the future.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Another lose cause :(

I hope it is turned off by default or at least a system level options to turn it off.
Disabling it won't make you better at Fortnite, like it didn't in SFV ;)

Sorry, had to. It's just funny to still see you so adamant about this when there's nothing wrong about it.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Hugee news. Considering how willing Microsoft is to play this crossplay game, this might lead to some pretty massive things assuming this works out.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
They did it which is great. Congrats to the people, not to Sony. The people made this happen!

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Fortnite is big, but I imagine there might be a bigger title that's coming for which the publisher was adamant that cross-play be enabled.

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
Wow... big concession from Sony at this point... If they were going to do it, I figured they would have back when it was in the news every day... the fact that they did it AFTER the pressure died down and it was out already out of the daily news cycle is interesting. I wonder what percentage of Fortnite players Sony lost as a result of the prior policy and if the Fortnite PS4 bundle sold less than predicted as a result and that was the trigger -- impact to the "bottom line" rather than some criticism on the internet.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony, please don't lowball this just to take the pressure off. You can potentially change the structure of online gaming completely here, in a good way.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I thought it was a "switch" they could turn on and off

Also, the floodgates are open. Fortnite doesnt need this as much as so many other MP games begging for a bigger community

It's probably just a switch, but a switch that let you connect to everyone PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch and Mobile Phones. Not only Xbox to PC, or PC to PS4, everything will be mixed then, I don't know, maybe they just want to get sure.
Also, maybe the account unlocking and Epic account stuff is kinda complicated, before, your account was kinda locked if you had a PS4 account added to it, you couldn't add Xbox or Switch to it then and not even remove PS4 anymore. Maybe that's a reason why they beta it first.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a massive difference in being a leader and using that to your advantage and not being the leader and working together.

See Microsoft last gen.
Stop making excuses. It obviously never made "financial sense" for Sony to block console cross play because if it did and that's truly why they blocked crossplay in the first place then they probably wouldn't have just suddenly opened it up. Nothing changed in the market. They're still in first place. They're still selling more consoles than the competition. It never made financial sense. It's not first place tactics vs second place tactics. Sony was just being arrogant. They aren't anymore. Good on them.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
The lesson from all this is cry and bitch on social media/web if you want something.....
Where the f is my first party jrpg Sony?
#wewantfirstpartyjrpg

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Epic extending the current season by a couple days without adding new content or new weekly challenges had to do with this? The new season could effectively launch with total cross-play between PC, Mac, iOS, Android, Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch.