• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Don't most sets bypass/disable their model specific on-the-fly tonemapping on content with HDR10+ / DV (dynamic metadata) content (so as not to tonemap it twice)? I always thought this was the case.

With those formats yes, they are both recognised standard HDR profiles as part of the ST2094 standards which both have their own tone mapping processes. HDR10 doesn't specify any specific image transforms to be used.

Soemthing like ABL , zonal local dimming or even just the rule of thumb of a display becoming dimmer as the window size increases is not accounted for in any format.

This new option on PS4 is one of the things being passed across to games which will help the content to maybe be able to take some of that that into account in a real time, dynamic manner.

So if you are playing say Killzone and it's bright daylight, ABL will kick in and bump down the entire luminance of the screen. You literally lose Dynamic range as the display tries to protect itself against overheating and burn in.

Now rather than presenting this very bright daylight scene which the game now knows cannot be displayed , the game can choose to reduce the luminance of the skybox but maintain the luminance of game critical visual information of say the enemy's glowing eyes, which are used as a by design visual cue for identifying enemies and maintain a high dynamic range image.

It's this type of application that they wish to achieve with this method which has been designed for games.

This inner knowledge of the content cannot be achieved using a display based post process tone mapping, certainly not to the degree that a game could do itself

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
Tried Hitman 2, The Division 2, RDR2, NBA2K19 (thats a lot of twos) and Monster Hunter and I didn't notice any difference.

So I presume this is something for future games.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
US Code
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
I haven't been keeping count but whoever uses it and it stops please reply

Last edited:

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Disappointing to hear that support for this feature might need to be patched into existing games. I hope that doesn't lead to a situation where it also has to be opt-in for all future games, further fragmenting HDR implementation in games.

Hopefully this is a glimpse into how HDR support will work on next-gen consoles, with a system-wide setting instead of having to do it game-by-game.

USF

Oct 28, 2017
aEfdEo4_d.jpg
EAY10ClWsAE2IIz.jpg:orig

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope this isn't the only big new feature. While great it's a bit disappointing without an hdr TV 😂.

Seb

Oct 25, 2017
Toulouse
Do the same for sound please. I can't hear the dialogs while explosions are waking up the whole building FFS.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, getting into the beta was worth it just for this HDR config, Spider-Man looks WAY better after calibration in my C7.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's probably a placebo effect but I calibrated my HDR screen and I think Detroit looks way better. Less washed out.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Games look way better with HDR now (tried Spider-Man, Gran Turismo Sport, Days Gone, Devil May Cry V, and Monster Hunter World). Even Netflix's shitty super dark HDR is fixed.

Best PS4 update by a mile

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming this code should be good for anyone in North America (I'm Canadian)

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
I'm rocking projector HDR, which as many people will immediately jump in and state, is hardly real HDR since the peak brightness is so low. Anyone know if this will help with that situation?

Baro08

Feb 26, 2018
This could definitely be a game changer with the amount of games that won't let you config the HDR, and even the ones that are difficult to understand what to do.

Oct 27, 2017
So i have this installed and i went through the new HDR setting in the PS4 menu and made the adjustments. My question is, does this now override any in game HDR settings that i have made? For games that use HDR should i now go through those in game HDR settings and re-do them since making the system level HDR changes in 7.00? Its not really explained well at all how this is going to work.....any insights?

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Finally.
I've been asking for OS level video adjustments for years, great news.
Hopefully others will follow