• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
So I think my PS4 HDD is dying. I have a replacement drive but the problem is that the screw to remove the PS4 HDD is caved in, so my screw driver won't work. I've tried using pliers a well but they just keep sliding off the edges. Also tried the rubber band tick as well, and it didn't work either. Not sure how else to proceed. Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
So I think my PS4 HDD is dying. I have a replacement drive but the problem is that the screw to remove the PS4 HDD is caved in, so my screw driver won't work. I've tried using pliers a well but they just keep sliding off the edges. Not sure how else to proceed. Any ideas? Thanks.

Have you tried the rubberband trick? Put a rubberband between the screw and the screwdriver to get additional grip.

NeoRausch

Oct 25, 2017
Put a rubber band on top of the screw, press the screw driver in hard and turn.
Or use a melted pen cap. Works too.

Edit: what he said.

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes putting a rubber band or something similar inbetween the screw and the screwdriver works for me. It's a pain hah

OP
OP
CharlesAznable
Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried the rubberband trick? Put a rubberband between the screw and the screwdriver to get additional grip.

Put a rubber band on top of the screw, press the screw driver in hard and turn.
Or use a melted pen cap. Works too.

Edit: what he said.

Sometimes putting a rubber band or something similar inbetween the screw and the screwdriver works for me. It's a pain hah

Lol yeah I tried this. DIdn't work unfortunately.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
So I think my PS4 HDD is dying. I have a replacement drive but the problem is that the screw to remove the PS4 HDD is caved in, so my screw driver won't work. I've tried using pliers a well but they just keep sliding off the edges. Also tried the rubber band tick as well, and it didn't work either. Not sure how else to proceed. Any ideas? Thanks.
Why you thing is dying?

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know for some of the larger screws, you can buy drill bits that creates a new hole essentially with one end and the other end use it to unscrew the newly created hole. I tried it with my tv mount and it worked but not sure about such a small screw.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sometimes I've tried using a blunt knife on a stripped screw with success, or a flathead screwdriver if there's a bit to get a grip on the inside.

How did it strip?

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Games and apps keep crashing. UI is very slow and sluggish. Tried to both rebuild and reinitialize the PS4 and it didn't fix it.

Don't have power tools unfortunately.
Keep trying with the pliers then. Maybe dab some wd-40 around the screw first. Just make sure you wipe off the screw head before trying to grip it.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe if you have a small file, make a slot across the top of the screw and use a flathead screwdriver to unscrew it.

OP
OP
CharlesAznable
Oct 25, 2017