1. bombshell

bombshell
    Member OP

We got an update for the latest PS4 sell through quantity in the 525.3 million PlayStation hardware sold in history press release.

Source: http://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2018/180809.html

So sold through to consumers is still very close to the total shipments, where PS4 had shipped 82.2 million as of end of June.

2. Y2Kev

Y2Kev

Good. Now make syphon filter you birches!!!

3. NoMoreTrolls

NoMoreTrolls

That's a lot of ps4s

4. Savantcore

Savantcore

Creeping in on those lifetime PS3 sales.

5. MisterR

MisterR

Nice. Not a lot sitting on shelves. They’re selling just about all the ship.

6. Tofer

Tofer

PS4 is beast

7. Kudo

Kudo

Holy smokes.. Well deserved, hopefully they can keep the momentum up!

8. Shambala

Shambala

Damn that’s a lot of playstations.

9. ScopehJ

ScopehJ

Only 1 million behind it’s shipped number, this thing is crazy..

10. Shock32

Shock32

PS4 is beyond beast mode now

11. bombshell

bombshell
    Member OP

A bit more than 1 million behind since the dates are 22 days apart. So 1 million + what they've shipped from July 1-July 22.

12. patapon

patapon

Insane man, absoultely insane. Love PlayStation to death. Keep investing in the brand Sony and Gamers will always be there. Bring on games, games and more games

13. Abylim

Abylim

Pretty impressive. Still have some must haves coming out too.

14. MisterR

MisterR

Still not much at all on a worldwide scale.

15. v_iHuGi

v_iHuGi
    Banned Member

It refuses to stop.

7.6M so far in 2018 I think.

16. Razgriz417

Razgriz417

wonder how much the target price error added to this lol. Would also be curious to see the ps4 vs pro split. Great to see ps4 doing amazingly well. Wished they came out with an elite controller equivalent though (and not hawked it off to a 3rd party who overcharges)

17. khamakazee

khamakazee

100 million likely by this time next year, well done. Price cut coming in October?

I expect a PS5 announcement at E3 next year.

18. bombshell

bombshell
    Member OP

Agreed, I just like to be precise ;)

19. CozMick

CozMick

Good Lord Playstation

20. Ludens

Ludens

Damn monster!!!

21. Probably the biggest games still yet to come in RDR2, Spidey, TLoU2 and dare I say FFVIIR...

22. zombiejames

zombiejames

Should surpass PS3 and 360 in about 1-2 months then, no? Impressive. Next would be the Wii, which should be a lock to pass next year.

23. Musubi

Musubi

This is why they can scoff at cross play. They ain't got any incentives to play ball right now.

24. strife418

strife418

seems it'll be third best selling of all time imo..after ps2 and ds.

25. WillySJ3

WillySJ3

18.8 millions more and we're making a big party. Congrats.

26. OrbitalBeard

OrbitalBeard

PS4 will become the second best selling home console of all time and third best overall when counting portables.. Pretty crazy and well deserved.

27. Kyuuji

Kyuuji

If they became sentient and attempted to disguise themselves they’d make up just over 1% of the population. That would mean one in a hundred ‘people’ would actually be a PS4. How well do you truly know your neighbour? When the robot uprising begins, they will not hesitate and neither should we.

28. KillerMan91

KillerMan91

PS4 has sold trough more this year than shipped (And by pretty large amount). Sony had shipped 5.7 million units until end of June and sold trough 7.6 million as of 22 of July.

29. Keyouta

Keyouta

Congrats to Sony. And they still have games like Spider-Man and TLoU2 to come. By late 2020 when the PS5 will presumably release, what do you think it'll be at?

120m?

30. Lukemia SL

Lukemia SL

Great news, glad to be among at least 4 of those in my family alone.
    Wait till Spider-Man hits it’s gonna be nuts.

31. Dizastah

Dizastah

And only second best to the mighty PS2

32. TsuWave

TsuWave

It hurts having to put on the gloves to kill somebody you love, but I’ll be ready

33. Astandahl

Astandahl

Last year pace was a bit better ( 7 ml sold through between Jan 1 and June 11 ) but still a great result.

34. J-Skee

J-Skee

Just a million & change behind the PS3. And I'm starting to feel it will surpass the PS1 eventually. The momentum is crazy.

EDIT: Holy shit, the sold-through number is only a million behind shipped? How?!

35. chandoog

chandoog

so already passed the PS3 ?

36. Lukemia SL

Lukemia SL

Not yet the PS3 is ~83million

37. mazi

mazi

can someone figure out vita numbers from that number? there's never been a confirmed number for vita

38. bombshell

bombshell
    Member OP

I think it's normal since after the holiday quarter they probably have more in the channel so sell through catches up a bit in the first half of the year.

39. Tofer

Tofer

What was PS3 at same time equivalent?

40. Alex840

Alex840

Not sure I can see a price cut just yeat. I think Spider-Man and RDR2 will shift enough units that they probably won't need to.

That may change if Microsoft drop price though.

41. Lukemia SL

Lukemia SL

I don’t have the foggiest idea of that sorry. Maybe someone will?

42. WillySJ3

WillySJ3

XB1 have been as cheap as $199 this year and Sony is still selling the slim for $299. I think the next price drop won't come before BF.

43. I believe it's at ~11m? There have been some articles about the sale in Europe, and we know the figures from Japan already.

44. Skel1ingt0n

Skel1ingt0n

I think this’ll be much easier to guess after we get through the Spider-Man release. I know it’ll sell like crazy, but I think it’s a true system seller; and it’s odd to get such a title this late in a console’s lifespan.

45. That's pretty much the usual soldthrough pace of the PS4 right? If there is a decline this year perhaps is gonna be really small

46. bombshell

bombshell
    Member OP

Yeah, that could be possible and interesting although there's the PS Vita TV included as an unknown too.

Anyone want to take a shot at putting together a total for the rest minus the Vita systems? The systems included in the 525.3m total is PlayStation®, PS One, PlayStation®2, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable), PSP®go, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®Vita TV, PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®4 Pro.

47. mazi

mazi

if the numbers here are correct, vita and vita tv combined have to be 19.81 million. thought it would be lower.

48. ArmGunar

ArmGunar

Good job Sony !

49. Alex840

Alex840

PS1: 102.5m
    PS2: 158m
    PSP: 82m
    PS3: 84m
    PS4: 82m

This puts PS Vita/Vita TV at roughly 16.5m.

50. KillerMan91

KillerMan91

Yeah. In US and Japan PS4 has been slightly up so RoTW is down a decent bit compared to last year. Makes sense too. God Of War gave big boost to US sales and Monster Hunter to Japanese sales.

Well it seems that Sony overships PS4 a bit during holiday seasons (last year too they had sold trough more than shipped as of end of June).

We never got any sell trough numbers for PS3 so we can only compare shipped. PS4 was at 82.2 million after 19 quarters. PS3 at the same point was at 51.8 million.