• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
PS1: 102.5m
PS2: ~155m
PS3: ~86m
PS4: 81.2m
PSP: ~82m

Which would put the Vita and Vita TV at 18.6m. That seems about right to me, based on what little we've heard from analysts.
No way, Japan (6m) must account for near half of Vita sales, not a third. It's US sellthrough was near 2m to give some perspective, it cratered in the west. Where would the other 10m come from in this scenario?

Jan 11, 2018
No way, Japan (6m) must account for near half of Vita sales, not a third. It's US sellthrough was near 2m to give some perspective, it cratered in the west. Where would the other 10m come from in this scenario?

At the very least, I don't have issues believing that the Vita sold at least twice as much in Europe as North America.

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017
The pro doesn't make any sense if ps5 is BC and has similar benefits for ps4 games.
400 ps5, 200 ps4 slim. It also makes more sense logistically and they are probably making more money with each slim than with every bro sold

If you sold your bro I would be shocked. ;P

But it is just crazy how good PS4 still sell for 299 in its fifth year.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
At the very least, I don't have issues believing that the Vita sold at least twice as much in Europe as North America.
Probably significantly more than that, seeing as we know it sold 600k+ in Spain alone.

The EEDAR hardware sales chart from the end of 2016 is a good reference point when it comes to overall sales. It obviously isn't perfect and is a little outdated (though that's probably only relevant for the Vita, since we know it's at least sold ~1.5m in Japan since then) but it gives a good idea of what the PS3, 360 and Vita ended up selling.
yZhfjHW.png

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
The pro doesn't make any sense if ps5 is BC and has similar benefits for ps4 games.
400 ps5, 200 ps4 slim. It also makes more sense logistically and they are probably making more money with each slim than with every bro sold
Right now the slim is $300 I think. If this year it does not permanently go down to $200 then I think Ps5 has to come out in 2020. The pro needs a pricecut before Ps5 comes out.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Probably significantly more than that, seeing as we know it sold 600k+ in Spain alone.

The EEDAR hardware sales chart from the end of 2016 is a good reference point when it comes to overall sales. It obviously isn't perfect and is a little outdated (though that's probably only relevant for the Vita, since we know it's at least sold ~1.5m in Japan since then) but it gives a good idea of what the PS3, 360 and Vita ended up selling.
yZhfjHW.png
Where was this posted? Only saw the 2015 one.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Right now the slim is $300 I think. If this year it does not permanently go down to $200 then I think Ps5 has to come out in 2020. The pro needs a pricecut before Ps5 comes out.
I think the pro will stop being made once ps5 begins production.
It was designed with hardcore gamers in mind, so why would any hardcore choose a ps4pro over the new powerful ps5?
That considering it is BC with similar or even better benefits for ps4 software than the pro.
It makes no sense to keep 3 production lines.
Even more,Ps4 pro hasn't exactly been massively available since it was released, so it seems really more like an experiment, with limited production, than a mass market console like the slim.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
It was designed with hardcore gamers in mind, so why would any hardcore choose a ps4pro over the new powerful ps5?
That considering it is BC with similar or even better benefits for ps4 software than the pro.
Even more,Ps4 pro hasn't exactly been massively available since it was released, so it seems really more like an experiment, with limited production, than a mass market console like the slim.
maybe. but it's also for people who wanted a more powerful playstation console. Ps5 needs to be a massive leap from Xbone x

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I'm not sure who the target buyer for a Pro is once the PS5 comes out.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
PlayStations brand power is pretty crazy. Total domination three out of the four times in the console market and the time it faltered it tied for second.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe PS4 will reach 100M.

3 out of 4 home consoles reaching this milestone is incredible.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, this system has done crazy well! By the time Spiderman comes out it likely will have matched PS3's lifetime sales and there's a ton more first party and third party games still to come for this system that will likely boost sales a fair chunk to take it up to if not over 100 million!

Sony made a sensible plan with reasonable expectations and it's paid off well for them, I imagine PS5 will have a considerable power boost but will have the same ethos.

AlexxKidd

Banned
May 23, 2018
I believe PS4 will reach 100M.

3 out of 4 home consoles reaching this milestone is incredible.

Don't have to be Nostradamus to call this Sony. Sony themselves expect 96 million by March. Fair to say 100 million will come soon after. The question next year becomes how far over 100 million does it go? I'm thinking it ends up somewhere in the 110-120M range, but I wouldn't bet against them going higher, especially if Square can manage to drop FFVIIR this generation.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
should be down YOY considering last year it sold 7 million till 11 June and this year is 7.6 million till July 22. But still, pretty impressive performance.

Should reach 91 million by the end of year.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But it ended well with momentum carrying through to the ps4.

It's how you finish that matters most.

Yup, they went into overdrive with quality content towards the end of PS3's life and a little even beyond.

MS and Nintendo stopped giving a fuck long before 360/Wii's time ended.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
To everyone trying to find PSVita sales, the PS3 final numbers are well above 85 million, should be actually closer to 90 million.

Also PS2 final numbers are not clear, because they haven't reported shipments numbers after the 155 million in March 2012, but we know that the lifetime shipments are between 158.6 million and 161 million.

Same for PS1 i believe... 102.5 million is not the final number as they shipped a bit after the last reported numbers.

I personally think PSVita should be around 13 million worldwide.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, they went into overdrive with quality toward the end of PS3's life and a little even beyond.

MS and Nintendo stopped giving a fuck long before 360/Wii's time ended.
Yeah exactly.

However how did the ps2 finish leading up to the PS3 in terms of games? I know it was still selling well.

I think Sony learned their lesson and I surmise that they won't let their foot off the gas pedal going forward.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After driving the fasted lap in a qualifying session, his engineer once asked Juan Manuel Fangio if he should modify the setup of his car. Fangio's answer: "Why, wasn't I fast enough?"

That would be relevant if it weren't for that darn thing called history and Sony dropping the PS2 price by $100 (1/3rd) and I recall that system sold alright. Just because the PS4 is selling well does not mean there won't be a price cut.

principal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 14, 2018
love these numbers

all three are having a stronk gen

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
To everyone trying to find PSVita sales, the PS3 final numbers are well above 85 million, should be actually closer to 90 million.

Also PS2 final numbers are not clear, because they haven't reported shipments numbers after the 155 million in March 2012, but we know that the lifetime shipments are between 158.6 million and 161 million.

Same for PS1 i believe... 102.5 million is not the final number as they shipped a bit after the last reported numbers.

I personally think PSVita should be around 13 million worldwide.

*2 As of July 22, 2018. Cumulative worldwide sell-through of overall PlayStation hardware includes PlayStation®, PS One, PlayStation®2, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable), PSP®go, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®Vita TV, PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®4 Pro. Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SIE

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
Those iterative consoles released 2-3 years ago pulling their weight it seems. Really good decision by Sony and Microsoft this gen.

Any numbers on how much of the 81 million ps4's sold are Ps4 Pro? We know it was about ~47 million sold through right before the Pro launch..