• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
untitled-1yhewy.png

Karppuuna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
500m is a grazy number. I can still remember when i got PS1 and Tomb Raider, it was love at first sight.
I'am forever grateful of Tomb Raider 1 to introduce me in gaming, this is the best hobby in the world!

Last edited:

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
There's no way Vita is at 19 million when US+Japan sell-through is nowhere near that.
18.6 isn't 19 and some of those console numbers are estimates based on what little Sony have shared (particularly the PS2) but I see no reason why it couldn't be somewhere in that range based on the late 2016 data EEDAR have made public.

jryi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking about only having a bit over a million on shelves. The sales numbers are great.
There's really no need to have much more than that on shelves(*.

I mean, after the very initial shipments (pre-launch) the sell-through and shipment numbers should be very close to each other on a yearly basis: you only ship what you expect to sell. Sony's supply chain management is apparently state-of-the-art, so they can adjust everything from manufacturing to point-of-sales practically in real time.

Sony just are very, very good at this.

*) Shipped includes everything that has left the manufacturing plant, so it's not only shelves. It's also everything in transit and warehouses.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
A bit more than 1 million behind since the dates are 22 days apart. So 1 million + what they've shipped from July 1-July 22.

Which at the rate they ship is probably ~1m+ (3m+ per quarter). Maybe even more because I recall Sony ramps up shipments early for the holidays (bigger calender 3Q than MS relatively, followed by weaker Q4, again relative to what Xbox does vs end sales)

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I'm in the 120m-140m camp. Who's with me?!

All depends on when the PS5 is released and what form it takes. Personally I think 120+ million will happen but beyond that it's hard to predict.

This also shows just how much of a crazy success the PS2 was. Right now the PS4 is only a little over half of the PS2's eventual life time sales.

El Manco

Oct 28, 2017
Which at the rate they ship is probably ~1m+ (3m+ per quarter). Maybe even more because I recall Sony ramps up shipments early for the holidays (bigger calender 3Q than MS relatively, followed by weaker Q4, again relative to what Xbox does vs end sales)
If we estimate ship numbers in Q1FY18 are similar to sell-through numbers during same period, we can calculate sales to consumes in different regions.
Media Create between weeks 26 and 13: (990K - 720K) = 270K units sold to japanese consumers
NPD April - June using resetera estimates: 930K units sold to consumers in US
Then, sales-through in rest of world: 3,2 million - NPD - MC = ~2 million units sold to consumers in ROW during Q1FY18.

This probably means Europe continues as the strongest region for PS4.

Oct 25, 2017
If we estimate ship numbers in Q1FY18 are similar to sell-through numbers during same period, we can calculate sales to consumes in different regions.
Media Create between weeks 26 and 13: (990K - 720K) = 270K units sold to japanese consumers
NPD April - June using resetera estimates: 930K units sold to consumers in US
Then, sales-through in rest of world: 3,2 million - NPD - MC = ~2 million units sold to consumers in ROW during Q1FY18.

This probably means Europe continues as the strongest region for PS4.
Yep, Europe still carries the most weight for PS.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
September and Spider-Man (and DQ11 and more) are getting closer. Have there been any reports of increased shipments?

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Have there been any reports of increased shipments?
If I remember correctly, the only time in the history of the PS4 that we got report of increased future shipments was I think immediately after launch when someone from Sony [maybe Shuhei] mentioned how they had to use [expensive] air freight to deliver more PS4s to UK.

Aside from the 1M increase in the most recent report, nah.
And that, but I don't count it. They could have increased that because of the overperformance of GoW in Q1.