• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
As someone who is a big fan of single-player story-driven games and clearly PS4 is the best possible option for me, but which console (PS4 or Xone) is better and has the best exclusives library in terms of Multiplayer competitive games in your opinion?

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Xbox has got some pretty strong exclusives on the eSports scene, like Gears, Forza and Halo, but probably it's all down to which environment you prefer and where your friends are.

BaasRed

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UAE
As someone who is a big fan of single-player story-driven games and clearly PS4 is the best possible option for me, but which console (PS4 or Xone) is better and has the best exclusives library in terms of Multiplayer competitive games in your opinion?

Depends on which multiplayer exclusives you'd like. Microsoft has an arcade racer, many shooters, and a pirate game too. Sony has a racing sim, a baseball game, and a golf game. There are of course more but just a few examples were needed I think.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Ok,...still? TLOU has fantastic MP, as does uncharted, GT sport, owning both I still don't see much difference. Like I said i'd give MS the edge due to ears and Halo but they are comparable, Not close is hyperbole imo. MS definitely focuses on it more then sony though. I mean GT sport is one of their biggest franchises and it was an online only focuses title.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
Definitely Xbox in general. That doesn't mean very much now though since the biggest of those games latest releases haven't been as good as older entries in their series such as GoW or Halo. If Halo Infinite turns out to be good as well as Gears 5, the Xbox will be THE go-to platform for 1st party multiplayer games on console just like it was during the 360 era.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
Ok,...still? TLOU has fantastic MP, as does uncharted, GT sport, owning both I still don't see much difference. Like I said i'd give MS the edge due to ears and Halo but they are comparable, Not close is hyperbole imo. MS definitely focuses on it more then sony though. I mean GT sport is one of their biggest franchises and it was an online only focuses title.
I do not view TLOU as "competitive multiplayer " under any circumstance. There's no competitive scene for tlou.

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox and it's not really close.
Lol, the biggest game right now is completely free on PS4 (no sub required). PS4 also has the far bigger user-base.
Other than that Xbox has Halo and Gears on top of multi-plats. Playstation has UC4 and TLOU.
Yeah, Halo might still be better than those, but I put TLOU MP above Gears. But that's subjective.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, the biggest game right now is completely free on PS4 (no sub required). PS4 also has the far bigger user-base.
Other than that Xbox has Halo and Gears on top of multi-plats. Playstation has UC4 and TLOU.
Yeah, Halo might still be better than those, but I put TLOU MP above Gears. But that's subjective.
"EXCLUSIVES"

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I think it's Xbox due to Halo 5 Arena being the best MP experience this gen. Also Halo MCC actually works pretty well now

Also in context of shooters, the XB1 controller is IMO a better controller for those.

While I personally don't like Sea of Thieves, it appears those that do absolutely love it and it's an experience you can't get anywhere else (unlike shooters being on both platforms, racers, etc)

The LFG function is fantastic

That said, some things that you might want to consider sticking with the PS4:
1) It's so late in the gen, might be worth holding off and some of the exclusive games I mentioned (namely Halo) have a high skill level to be competitive right now as many of us plebs have moved on
2) If baseball is your thing, MLB the Show as no rival on the Xbox, not even close
3) Playerbase may be a factor depending on the game and where you are from on the Xbox (I'm in the US and only play the bigger games online so not an issue in that context)
4) GT Sport is better online than mainline Forza games. Now IMO Forza Horizon games trump both

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's really changed much from last gen, so still Xbox.

I think a lot of that has to do with controller preference and XB1 controller is easily the best on the market.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Xbox. It gets all the 3rd parties, plus Halo, Gears, and so on.

Honestly, it's close since much of the big third party games are on both.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
MS takes competitive gaming sort of serious thus implements competitive pvp into most of their big games. Sony doesn't so it's not even close.It was the same last gen and the gen before that. It will be the same next gen. Sony has never had a game with a multiplayer component really take off.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
MS takes competitive gaming sort of serious thus implements competitive pvp into most of their big games. Sony doesn't so it's not even close.It was the same last gen and the gen before that. It will be the same next gen. Sony has never had a game with a multiplayer component really take off.

That is a lot of hyperbole and misinformation in one post.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Edit: duh...I forgot the controller plays a huge part.

Probably Microsoft, cross play would eliminate that label but years of Halo/Gears and Sony not having its own competitive FPS gave it that label.

Sure through third party deals Sony has been able to bring the COD crowd over to the system and it shows in its systems sales. Let's just say I wish the hardcore shooting community mentality was on ps4.

With a smaller install base on Xbox, you're stuck against some of the die hards and it sucks a lot.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The real answer is PC, but it looks like we're just talking consoles, and like some others have already said the popular competitive games are multi-platform anyway, so it mostly just comes down to platform preference. I'm not sure how anyone can say something like "Xbox, and it's not close."

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
If you like fighting games (as I do) it's the ps4 and it actually isn't close. Street Fighter V alone I've put more time into than most games. Not to mention Guilty Gear, BlazBlue and the upcoming Persona Arena made by ArcSys, etc. Really up to personal preference.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Man i love my PS4 but i cant aim for shit with controller.Went from PC to console before few months and i still suck so bad with controller.

-PyramidSong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
TLOU MP is great but i suck at it. Anyway, i think both are great but the notion that Xbox its better is something that exist since the xbox 360 era. Dont know if true.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
GT Sport is the best competitive racing game on console right now.

Street Fighter V is the most satisfying VS fighting game to watch and the star of EVO.

Imo, PlayStation 4.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Ps4 for CoD
Xbox One for anything else.

The only correct answer.
Depends on your region obviously. In Japan it's Ps4 for anything.
But real competitive MP games are generally played on PC anyways.

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Both of them, the most popular and biggest on-line games are multplatform anyway, with the biggest user base on ps4.
If we talk about fighting games, here the winner is ps4, the king of fighters.
Even though i don't care too much for on-line, i played a lot of TLoU and Uncharted 4 multiplayer with friends and had a lot of fun.

Aug 23, 2018
Easily Xbox. And as some has said, it isn't close. Taking into account exclusives released and scheduled to release (Forza games, Gears 4 & 5, Halo MCC, Halo 5, Infinite, CD3, Sea of Thieves, etc) and the fact that XBL has wildly better features (party chat is top notch, LFG, clubs, scheduled competitions) than PSN and I'd be hard pressed to find a reason someone would think PS4 is better for competitive multiplayer. Controller preference would really be the only thing.

Literally all of the PS4 exclusives that get dropped in other threads for reason why PS4 is the better value or has better exclusives are single player experiences. And that doesn't seem to be changing in the next 1.5 years

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
XBL has wildly better features (party chat is top notch
Slightly off-topic but this is severely underrated. Props to Sony for releasing party chat on the PS4 (MP on PS3 was terrible for big groups) but the audio quality sounds just as bad as the Xbox 360's party chat. The multiplayer experience is definitely affected by the communication with your team.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Slightly off-topic but this is severely underrated. Props to Sony for releasing party chat on the PS4 (MP on PS3 was terrible for big groups) but the audio quality sounds just as bad as the Xbox 360's party chat. The multiplayer experience is definitely affected by the communication with your team.
Weird? I have had a Ps4 since launch and had zero issues with audio, and see little diff on my xbox.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
I've posted this argument before. I do think that the Xbox provides a better MP competitive experience with their exclusives versus Sony's.

Halo MCC, 5, Gears 4 and Forza game are still getting updates and new playlists. SoT is also consistently changing. Not to mention the support for online play in the all their BC 360 games.

I haven't heard of any Sony exclusive MP gaming getting that level of support, correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Not only that, it's so much easier to share clips and screens shot on X1.

Status
Not open for further replies.