• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Im confused. We have a new generation... and here i see that
PS4 Slim 500gb 300€
PS4 Pro 1TB 380€
PS5 Digital 399€ (if it where available)
PS5 499€

Usually you can buy the previous gen for a significant amount lower then the new gen.
And even if we say "Pro does not count since its a refresh",
then the difference between a PS4 with 500GB and a PS5 with 100GB is 100€...

This also holds the second hand marked up, so the prices for PS4 slim is around 200€, and pro 250€.
And there are no Black Friday deals for PS4 either...

Are these prices a regional thing, or are PS4 prices staying that high all over the world?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
prices ain't gonna go down until PS5 can be bought easily and commonly

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
PS4 are still in short supply if my local retailers are anything to go by, then again who knows how many Sony are shipping out right now.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went to Walmart to buy a game last week and the guy told me they had no consoles in stock, not even the OG PS4 or Xbox One.

I imagine the prices will drop after the holiday season but right now why would either company drop the price when demand is still so high on the consoles.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I went to Walmart to buy a game last week and the guy told me they had no consoles in stock, not even the OG PS4 or Xbox One.

I imagine the prices will drop after the holiday season but right now why would either company drop the price when demand is still so high on the consoles.
Pandemic, next gen shortages, last gen xbox/ps stuff is still a great gift for young kids or lapsed gamers wanting something do while the burns lol. they still work and have cheap AF games. Makes sense.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aether

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Here PS4s are stocked, and i have seen them in stores, in big amounts. So that does not seem as if its the problem.
I remember back then (PS360Wii gen) that every view years, you got a new SKU, a price decrease, bundles...
This gen not so much. I still see Switches for 330€ in stores, without a game.
Should we asume that this is a trend that will stay with mid gen refreshes?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
200 dollar consoles are a thing of the past as well. Won't ever happen again outside of specials deals.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
There has never been a "rule" that says the old gen items immediately go down in price after a next gen launch.

I don't see any price reductions coming, outside of sales, until maybe Spring/Summer 2021 if not later because of cross-gen games.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm in Mexico and Walmart's big videogame sale right now for Buen Fin (a big shopping holiday like Black Friday) this year was a regular PS4 bundle with a few games (Uncharted collection, Doom Eternal, God of War) for about $330 USD. I get that there are heavy import taxes here, but that just seems ridiculous to me when the new systems are in theory out.

OP
OP
Aether

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
If you need a ps4 they're selling like crazy on Facebook from £50-100.

Pro for 150-200
Yeah, not here. a handfull of 150-180€ PS4s that are sold before you contact the seller, and 90% PS4 slims are 200-300 with Fifa, CoD, and other Sports games...so stuff that is literally worthless (to me at least).

There has never been a "rule" that says the old gen items immediately go down in price after a next gen launch.
I don't see any price reductions coming, outside of sales, until maybe Spring/Summer 2021 if not later because of cross-gen games.
No, but the last 20 years consoles got cheaper as the generation matured. Somehow we never got this this generation. In previous generations they did not lower the price with the release of the next gen, since the price was already way lower.

OP
OP
Aether

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I'm in Mexico and Walmart's big videogame sale right now for Buen Fin (a big shopping holiday like Black Friday) this year was a regular PS4 bundle with a few games (Uncharted collection, Doom Eternal, God of War) for about $330 USD. I get that there are heavy import taxes here, but that just seems ridiculous to me when the new systems are in theory out.
PS4 with Doom is 411€...
The last of us 2 Bundle is 450€
The Ps4 Pro Hits bundle (uncharted 1-4, last of us remaster) is 430€

so yeah... none of those is on my "want to play" list. If it would be Bloodborne...

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
200 dollar consoles are a thing of the past as well. Won't ever happen again outside of specials deals.
Not so sure about that personally. I think Sony is planning to drop the PS4 slim to 199 at some point. Could even be within the next year, if Covid slows down and ps5 becomes widely available.
Sony probably wants to keep selling for quite a while. Could be 2024 or so. PS4 prices will come down eventually. Just not right now

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I sold my Pro 2 weeks ago for 230€ on eBay. It was not even a special edition and it was a launch model. I'm quite happy tbh

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I mean. PS5 is impossible to get right now.... when it will be back in stock and easy to find, probably prices will go down a bit (I expect 349€ for the PRO anyway, not much less... at least as an official price)

OP
OP
Aether

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I sold my Pro 2 weeks ago for 230€ on eBay. It was not even a special edition and it was a launch model. I'm quite happy tbh
There was a period in 2017 where a ps4 slim was available for new for 250€.
The Ps4 pro is still @ release price here.

Not so sure about that personally. I think Sony is planning to drop the PS4 slim to 199 at some point. Could even be within the next year, if Covid slows down and ps5 becomes widely available.
Sony probably wants to keep selling for quite a while. Could be 2024 or so. PS4 prices will come down eventually. Just not right now
Is it possible that the production cost for storage, case, power suply, memory decreased more in previous generations, and now the cost decrease comes mainly form higher yields for the SoCs?

OP
OP
Aether

Aether

Jan 6, 2018

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017

That was my experience locally as well.

No current gen systems of any kind for sale. Xbox, PS4, Switch, etc.

Its really weird.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
If you need a ps4 they're selling like crazy on Facebook from £50-100.

Pro for 150-200

This. You can probably buy them second hand for super cheap right now.

I used to sell off my old gaming systems, unless there was no backwards combability on the new ones. Now that I have kids I just give them the old consoles so they'll leave my new ones alone.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
Is it possible that the production cost for storage, case, power suply, memory decreased more in previous generations, and now the cost decrease comes mainly form higher yields for the SoCs?
I don't know, but (and this is mainly just me guessing), ps4 is probably dirty cheap to make. Wouldn't be surprised if a ps4 slim costs just 100 bucks to manufacture. They could probably sell for 150 or less if they wanted to. They just don't do it because demand is so high.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
PS4 Pro has been discontinued (PS5 makes it obsolete) so my guess is that that price isn't going to last much longer, stores are going to clearance out whatever is left, probably for the holidays. I could see that dropping to about $300.

I'd expect PS4 to get a price drop, selling it as a budget console for $200, especially with it still getting new games, is a smart move.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Or they could just do what they did with the Vita and keep the price constant so that they make the maximum amount of money from console purchases until they run out of stock and discontinue it entirely. New game sales on old hardware plummet quickly after a replacement system comes out so Sony doesn't have much incentive to try to maximize the number of PS4s sold now that the new hotness is out.

OP
OP
Aether

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Because it keeps selling. They don't just drop the price because it gets older. They drop the price when sales drop.
So it keeps selling better then previous gens, another point against sonys "games need to be more expensive" -> if you sell more consoles, you should also sell more games, so more money per game?

This. You can probably buy them second hand for super cheap right now.

I used to sell off my old gaming systems, unless there was no backwards combability on the new ones. Now that I have kids I just give them the old consoles so they'll leave my new ones alone.
I already said it: not here. 200€ is the price for a slim, 250€ for a pro. I have seen them for lower, but when i ask to check them out in person (same city), to see if it works, they dont respond anymore..

That was my experience locally as well.

No current gen systems of any kind for sale. Xbox, PS4, Switch, etc.

Its really weird.
So it is kinda a regional thing. No problem to get a PS4 here. Amazon has them, regional sellers have them, and a week prior to the lockdown i have seen a big pile @ media markt.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I dont think the ps3 or 360 ever saw significant price drops after the release of ps4/xbone. I absolutely do not see the xbone getting another price cut. They will keep a small supply of the one S around for maybe another year at the most before they quietly discontinue it when sales dry up.

The ps4 being a much more successful console makes for a more interesting discussion. If Sony wanted to keep making them for the next three years they easily could but at a certain point they are already selling ps4s for like $200 on black Friday (atleast in the past.) So once the price of a ps5 gets down to $350-300 then it would just make more sense to convince the consumer to buy the new shit instead of the old. They have a strong financial incentive to get you to buy the new system. wherever your buying a ps4 the amount of money you will spend on psn is probably going to be quite limited compared to the potential they could make off the user on a brand spankin new ps5.

OP
OP
Aether

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Or they could just do what they did with the Vita and keep the price constant so that they make the maximum amount of money from console purchases until they run out of stock and discontinue it entirely. New game sales on old hardware plummet quickly after a replacement system comes out so Sony doesn't have much incentive to try to maximize the number of PS4s sold now that the new hotness is out.
And with increased game prices they could be more then ever intrested in pushing the price of the PS5Digital down, so that they profit more.
Old PS4 game stock can still be sold in stores, since they have backwards compatibility.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Ancidotally, I haven't seen a PS4 or a PS4 Pro on shelves at places like Target since, like, May. Would occasionally see Switches, but those would be gone the next time I went to the store.

They will eventually drop the price to 199 for the slim, if this was a normal black friday, they probably would have done a 199 bundle with Miles Morales

Oct 27, 2017
They did the same thing with PS3, it was $200 for 12GB (lol) and $270 for 250GB when PS4 was only $130 more. $250-$300 is the new $100-$150. It will be this way for a while, and I could even see slim models of the new consoles launching at 349 instead of 299

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
PS4 Pro is probably quietly discontinued already, I doubt that's ever getting an official price drop.

OP
OP
Aether

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
They did the same thing with PS3, it was $200 for 12GB (lol) and $270 for 250GB when PS4 was only $130 more. $250-$300 is the new $100-$150. It will be this way for a while, and I could even see slim models of the new consoles launching at 349 instead of 299
This could be a reason.
The PS3 had a longer way to fall, because a) it was to expensive at the beginning, and b) there was no mid gen refresh, so the sales probably did fell off more.

I was kinda expecting to get to the <=200€ price range with the ps4, but it seems that the mid gen refreshed have balanced it out so that they dont have to go that low anymore...

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
If you guys see the electronic items on online stores most of them are out of stock. People are buying everything that keeps them busy at home. Be it a electric guitar or video game console. This is what pandemic do to the society.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
So it is kinda a regional thing. No problem to get a PS4 here. Amazon has them, regional sellers have them, and a week prior to the lockdown i have seen a big pile @ media markt.
Thats good to see.

Its very weird for me to see it being hard to get any kind of console more than 2 years after launch. But this is not a normal year...

Amazingly the Switch is still a hot item. I would have thought that would have cooled off by now...

sickvisionz

Jan 19, 2018
Usually you can buy the previous gen for a significant amount lower then the new gen.

I noticed this last gen. Usually, consoles drop to $99 brand new at some point after the next iteration comes out. I remember thinking the PS3 would clean up house @ $99 but it never got there. They were selling them for $299 bundles when then PS4 was $399. Imo they seemed price to make everyone turn the page.

I can see PS4 and XB1 being discontinued when the official price is still $200.

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
I'm at the point that I'm looking at the used market. I was hoping to pick up a cheap one on Black Friday, but that looks like it's a bust.

My question is, is there any danger in buying a used PS4? I'm probably going to stay away from the Pro because of the noise issues, but what about slims? Or even the OG?

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I just sold my PS4 Pro for $350. I also sold my 2080 Ti a month ago for $975, which is more than I paid for my 3080. Can't say I'm mad at things being hard to obtain.

Flayer

Oct 28, 2017
The PS4 has relevance even in the PS5 era. For instance I am keeping my PS4 and setting it up in another room because it allows remote play to the PS5 - so it's almost like having 2 PS5s. I'm guessing this is one factor in stopping the saturation of the PS4 resale market.

OP
OP
Aether

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I'm at the point that I'm looking at the used market. I was hoping to pick up a cheap one on Black Friday, but that looks like it's a bust.

My question is, is there any danger in buying a used PS4? I'm probably going to stay away from the Pro because of the noise issues, but what about slims? Or even the OG?
OG has a higher noise level and uses more power than the Slim, and as far as i know it does not support HDR.
With slim there seems to be some models that have coil whine, and the PS4 has coil whine and the loud fan noises.

This started with the ps3, and is a problem with newer consoles: buying used over the internet, you risk to get one of those models. Thats why im sceptical with super cheap ones,a nd usually ask if i can check them out, but ofthen the buyers dont respond, so for me it is clear that they wanted to move them without the buyer knowing the problem.

I just sold my PS4 Pro for $350. I also sold my 2080 Ti a month ago for $975, which is more than I paid for my 3080. Can't say I'm mad at things being hard to obtain.
Yeah, i remember back then, 2016, thinking i may wait, till it falls <300€, since it cost ~350€ here.

a new one costs 320€ now...
For now the time where prices for old stuff falls is gone.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just checked ebay ps4 Pro is selling at about £200 as of today. Considering ps5 is over double that and basically impossible to buy, that seems reasonable

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
If you guys see the electronic items on online stores most of them are out of stock. People are buying everything that keeps them busy at home. Be it a electric guitar or video game console. This is what pandemic do to the society.

Yeah. The demand for systems and games has gone up across the board. And not just new stuff, but retro games too, and everything in between.