• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
So I have been playing Monster Hunter World this evening on graphics mode and HDR on my launch ps4 pro.
It has always been quite loud, I measured it at 80 dB in the map in Horizon: ZD before they patched it, but today something new happened.
I've had it for over a year but apparently Monster Hunter is a beast so

lmSuXwK.jpg

The PS4 is in a open cabinet with walls on the side, top and bottom but nothing in the rear and front.

Is this a Monster hunter problem or should I return it to gamestop and get a new one? We have two years mandatory warranty on that type of devices in this country.
Never seen this in any other game though even if it gets loud.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
My Pro gets super loud with the game, but I've left it on all day before and haven't had that message. I would try moving it somewhere more open air and seeing if that helps, as well as trying to dust it a bit (carefully so dust doesn't go in the vents) before thinking about a return.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well that game is hot shit right now.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
My Pro gets super loud with the game, but I've left it on all day before and haven't had that message. I would try moving it somewhere more open air and seeing if that helps, as well as trying to dust it a bit (carefully so dust doesn't go in the vents) before thinking about a return.

Usually I stick a vacuum hose to the side and that does the job so nothing gets blown inside.

bry

Oct 27, 2017
Id probably exchange the console since there hasnt been reports of other peoples consoles overheating.
Its probably an issue with your PS4P not effectively cooling itself down.
Unless you wanna crack it open, change the thermal paste and remove dust and see if that makes a difference.

OP
OP
tyfon

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway

I can't really get it more open except for the sides, and I cracked up the top lid to see if the fan was dusty but it was all clear.
It's actually quite easy to open the pro, just pull on the front edges of the top "layer".

I turned it off immediately, and I am a bit afraid of turning it on now.
Guess I'll chance it and put it on the floor for a bit or something and see if that helps..

xFiona

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Mine gets super loud too, but I haven't had that error message yet. Most Pro's are loud though, so that is common. But that message you got, I have never seen that before.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh jezz, WW2 and wolfenstine 2 and now this :(

Gonna be pissed if god of war spins my PS4 pro like a Jet all the way through that.

xFiona

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Oh jezz, WW2 and wolfenstine 2 and now this :(

Gonna be pissed if god of war spins my PS4 pro like a Jet all the way through that.
Someone has stated that there are two different fans for the Pro's. One is loud, the other is not. Apparently I must have the loud fan. I guess they are different manufacturers.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Reminder that you can pop the lid off your Pro (and PS4 Slim) to access and clean the fan without voiding the warranty.

Edit: just read you'd already done that.

All I can recommend is giving it more air in that case.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Huh. I haven't ever seen that message even after 4, 5 hours of continuous usage. Make sure all 4 sides and vents have ample space for airflow I guess.

HitMissYeah

Oct 30, 2017
Sony really needs to do a PS4 Pro Slim. I sold my Pro for a Slim just after a few weeks using it. The noice it is creating when playing is annoying.

Klortch

Dec 2, 2017
I didn't even know this was a thing. This message would scare me to be honest. Have you contacted Sony?

OP
OP
tyfon

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Reminder that you can pop the lid off your Pro (and PS4 Slim) to access and clean the fan without voiding the warranty.

I already did this but it was not dusty at all.
Like zero dust.

The box it self is a bit cooler now (I could barely touch it at first) so I'll have a go again and see what happens.. If I get the message again it's down to gamestop tomorrow for sure.. I really want to play MH though!!

VirtuaRacer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. It exist a warning like this on the pro. That not encouraging for the future :/

All PS4s have had this safety feature since 2013, in case the fan fails or something goes wrong. While the PS4 is designed to run warm, it's rare that you see this message. It generaly means that a unit needs repairing in some form.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wow I've never heard or seen that message before, datz krazy

I have a general problem with Sony's console design philosophy but I'll probably make a new thread for that

OP
OP
tyfon

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I didn't even this was a thing. This message would scare me to be honest. Have you contacted Sony?

It's 23:00 here in my part of Europe and the phone support close at 19:00.
They would probably just send me to the retailer though as they have the responsibility here, not the manufacturer.

GoldenKings

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely see if it's still under warranty. I haven't really heard too many stories about PS4 Pros (or slims) overheating.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
All PS4s have had this safety feature since 2013, in case the fan fails or something goes wrong. While the PS4 is designed to run warm, it's rare that you see this message. It generaly means that a unit needs repairing in some form.
The thing which I don't understand is why the warning doesn't say straightly to repair the console indeed to turn off the hardware for some hours. Doesn't make sense a warning like this.

Oct 25, 2017
Do what I do:
Turn the ps pro backwards so the fan is blowing out the front of the entertainment center. It fixed it for me even with an open back it still got too hot and loud because the hot air was forcing right up by the wall Now that I have it backwards it blows the hot air into the open room and stays cool

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really want to though..
I have 2 TB of games on the external drive and put a SSD into it so now I have to find all the original parts..

But if it's not the game then it's the console... Grr..

This forum would've been full of OMG MHW is blowing up my console if it was the game, it's your console.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
My fans spin up, but it is no where near as loud as Wolfenstein.

It is very annoying nonetheless.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
This can happen if even your home's temperature is too high.

The thing which I don't understand is why the warning doesn't say straightly to repair the console indeed to turn off the hardware for some hours. Doesn't make sense a warning like this.

It totally does make sense, it doesn't necessarily mean you need a repair. Most (if not all) electronic devices with internal temp control have this feature, but most just flat out shut off without warning when temps get too high. It's just a security feature for both the device itself and to prevent potential fire hazards. Seeing this message doesn't necessarily mean the unit needs repair, it just means the unit detected it got too hot. Try your best to keep it cool, and if that doesn't work, it's likely it needs a repair, as it could just be the temp detection that's off-base.

OP
OP
tyfon

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Do what I do:
Turn the ps pro backwards so the fan is blowing out the front of the entertainment center. It fixed it for me even with an open back it still got too hot and loud because the hot air was forcing right up by the wall Now that I have it backwards it blows the hot air into the open room and stays cool

I'm trying it on the floor now, if that works I'll try this.
It will make me very hot though :)

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Unless your console is seriously lacking airflow, you should never see that message
I'd try contacting Sony if still under warranty

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The noise on the Pro is unacceptable as is. Now this?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The beta put my Pro in to hairdryer mode like Uncharted Lost Legacy. Strangely Horizon ZD doesn't do this to my Pro though, baffling.

Suffice to say, I'll be getting MH for the X.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because it's a normal heat warming, phones etc also contain the same message. Hell even iPhones turn off at low temperatures.

I'm not excusing the PS4 pro as mine sounds a dam Jet, but if your running your PS4 Pro for hours and the room temperature is high then it expect it to trigger a message to protect itself

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Mine gets loud, but I've never had it overheat. Though my console is in a spot with a lot of air flow.

I'd look at exchanging it.

InfiniteCats

Oct 25, 2017
My Pro spins up a bit during some sequences, but nothing that really bothers me, and certainly no overheating. I'd definitely contact Sony, because this isn't going to fix itself and it's probably only going to get worse.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Do you play your games on the OP's PS4?

He doesn't have to all PS4 Pros are poorly made with fans from the bottom dollar pc hardware store. I really wish my Pro was quiet, it isn't very premium.

I've never recieved this message, but it really shouldn't happen from a console that can't be older than 2 years.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You should take it out of the cabinet. I had MHW idle on the title screen and that made my PS4 Pro loud as heck.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Pro seems in need of a hardware refresh. I'm always hearing about the fans and what not.

OP
OP
tyfon

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Well since no one else have had this with MH it's not the game and it just died on the floor with the same message and the ambient temp is 21C. It took a bit longer than in the cabinet though.

Gamestop tomorrow it is.. I think I found the original hard drive too, it is named HGST 1 TB and it's a 2.5 inch drive.. Can't think of anywhere else that drive could come from at least.