• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've had my pro since summer of last year and things seemed okay at the start. Few weeks went by and I noticed the fans were starting to kick up more than usual. I ignored it all the way up until God of War which caused the fans to kick up considerably.

Fast forward a little longer to No Mans Sky and holy crap it legit sounds like a vacuum. Even with my headset on I can still hear it which is annoying.

For those who may ask, yes it's in an entirely open space, nothing blocking any side of the system within 3ft and not near any window.

I really don't know what to do. I'm contemplating buying a new pro but there doesn't seem to be a for sure way to tell if I'll get a good one or another hovercraft. I know they have a Spider-Man one coming soon but of course won't know if that's improved in any way until it's out.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
It seems to be with games that don't have an FPS cap and are just trying to keep FPS as high as they possibly can. If you have something locked at 30 it's fine. If it's something which can handily reach 60 it's fine. But when it's always running at its maximum possible framerate (eg, unlocked Dark Souls 3, or unlocked God of War 'performance' mode) it just gets so loud and uncomfortable.

In DS3's case they really needed to give people an option to lock to 30.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Well everybody already knows that, that's why you buy PS4 Slim instead of that cheap burger piece of console. And no, if you don't do some modification to the cooling system, new thermal paste or Nidec fan hardly do shit, most annoying is the airflow "whoosh" throughout the console. Not the noise of the fan itself, if you take it out, plug it into power source you can clearly hear that (at least Nidec fan in my case) is really well made stuff. Just buy a longer HDMI and throw the console to a another room, if possible.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
For No Man's Sky specifically - from the OP in the OT - try:
PS4 Pro Fans
Players on the Pro may notice their consoles attempting to take off alongside their spaceships. For now, until a patch is released, it is recommended that you turn off, in the in-game menu, Supersampling, lock the framerate and then, in the Playstation system menu change the output settings to 1080p. You should see a sudden increase in performance.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Do you run NMS on the unlocked option? My pro is the loudest it's ever been on this setting...

And in general the console is just too loud for my taste, it is really annoying with some games you really have to resort to headphones, otherwise it is no fun at all...

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
FWIW, I switched from a launch Pro (7016b) to the revised model 7116b and it's night and day in terms of fan noise: I tried a bunch of games and only God of War makes the fan do some extra work on the menu map but it is really not that loud (a bit audible, especially since there's no music or sound). Even for No Man's Sky which was turning my console into an hairdryer is totally silent now (though there's been an update of the game so it may have contribute?).

I know "buy a new model of the same console" is a shitty answer and I don't give a pass to SONY for such low quality builds, but... it worked for me.

Last edited:

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I feel like if ResetEra ever released a greatest hits album of threads

"My PS4 Pro is loud" would be the first track

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, hopefully PS5 is Scorpio levels of quiet. It is annoying.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely the biggest PS4 issue overall.
My slim is fine but OG is a fighter jet at maixmum output.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's even more annoying that it does it in low key scenes that just happen to unlock the framerate. Looking forward to EDF 5 making it explode.

OP
OP
DeaDPooL_jlp

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Do you run NMS on the unlocked option? My pro is the loudest it's ever been on this setting...

And in general the console is just too loud for my taste, it is really annoying with some games you really have to resort to headphones, otherwise it is no fun at all...

Honestly I never really mess with the settings so it's possible I have a bunch of things on that might cause the issue. All the same it's still insane how loud it gets. I have a Xbox X just to the right of it and I've never heard a peep. But i mainly play on PlayStation so I'd prefer my situation to be vice versa.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Honestly I never really mess with the settings so it's possible I have a bunch of things on that might cause the issue. All the same it's still insane how loud it gets. I have a Xbox X just to the right of it and I've never heard a peep. But i mainly play on PlayStation so I'd prefer my situation to be vice versa.

Try to cap the framerate, it's in the NMS option menu under "extras" the fourth option

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
I've considered this but I have a good 4k tv and would feel like I'm missing out
If you have some other room near the tv, get the console there. Or buy Slim (trust me, GoW is still going to look great) and X1X, but that's obviously going to cost you some extra money, but I've seen already some great deals, but it depends where are you from, here we have got shit so far, obviously....

I think that's the best combo, if you are a console gamer obviously, if you have capable PC you are all set with only Sony console. Even though HDR is still pretty iffy stuff on PC, so I've heard, I only use PC to do my job, so I am not really the most qualified person on this topic.

OP
OP
DeaDPooL_jlp

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
FWIW, I switched from a launch Pro (7016b) to the revised model 7116b and it's night and day in terms of fan noise: I tried a bunch of games and only God of War makes the fan do some extra work on the menu map but it is really not that loud (a bit audible, especially since there's no music or sound). Even for No Man's Sky which was turning my console into an hairdryer is totally silent now (though there's been an update of the game so it may have contribute?).

I know "buy a new model of the same console" is a shitty answer and I don't give a pass to SONY for such low quality builds, but... it worked for me.

This reminds me of the good ole 360 days of trying to find the right chipset to avoid RRoD. I don't mind buying another console cause I can make the money difference not seem so bad but yes the idea of having to doesn't sit right. Especially since to my knowledge they've never addressed this issue. There's no way in hell they aren't aware of this problem. I would assume the Spider-Man system will be the most up to date version but not sure I want an all red console.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
OP its an embarrassment, The worst console I've owned for noise. Playing no mans sky is unbearable! It better be fine with Spiderman.

OP
OP
DeaDPooL_jlp

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
OP its an embarrassment, The worst console I've owned for noise. Playing no mans sky is unbearable! It better be fine with Spiderman.

I was annoyed when it first started. Frustrated when it got worse with God of War. Now I'm just pissed and tired of dealing with it when it comes to No Mans Sky. I hate wearing a headset to begin with and the fact that it doesn't solve the problem makes it worse. I'm inching towards just getting a slim and say goodbye to whatever 4k upgrade there may be.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me of the good ole 360 days of trying to find the right chipset to avoid RRoD. I don't mind buying another console cause I can make the money difference not seem so bad but yes the idea of having to doesn't sit right. Especially since to my knowledge they've never addressed this issue. There's no way in hell they aren't aware of this problem. I would assume the Spider-Man system will be the most up to date version but not sure I want an all red console.

If you want a Jet Black console, the Fortnite bundle seems to be the most up to date (and it is the one I bought). At least, it was the most recent sent to the stores according to the seller (Micromania, French's Gamestop). It is available to purchase only since this July.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I got one a couple of weeks ago to replace my launch PS4 which sounded like a jet engine, and it's been whisper quiet. Kinda scared mine's gonna start up with that noise sooner or later.

OP
OP
DeaDPooL_jlp

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If you want a Jet Black console, the Fortnite bundle seems to be the most up to date (and it is the one I bought). At least, it was the most recent sent to the stores according to the seller (Micromania, French's Gamestop). It is available to purchase only since this July.

I'm gonna look into this tomorrow morning. I figured those were all gone already cause of the exclusive skin.

OP
OP
DeaDPooL_jlp

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I got one a couple of weeks ago to replace my launch PS4 which sounded like a jet engine, and it's been whisper quiet. Kinda scared mine's gonna start up with that noise sooner or later.

Sounds like you won the lottery on a good system. Odd question but could you possibly see what model it is to possibly confirm something.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I really hope that by the time I get around getting one there's a reliable way of determining which models are quiet. I'd just get a Slim, but one of the games I'm looking forward to the most is The Last Guardian, and that performs poorly on the base model. Maybe I should wait until PS5, perhaph that will be fully BC and quiet?

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I always play with headphones so I've never heard how loud any of the PS consoles are. I'm only worried about the machine breaking down or flying through the roof.

OP
OP
DeaDPooL_jlp

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Any idea when this is meant to land here in the U.S?

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Thats the reason why i didnt bother with a pro and instead went to buy a slim version. My ears can rest now.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
My Pro is certainly more noisy. Yesterday it took me by surprise after firing MHW again, but I guess the current heatwave has a part in this.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly the pro is the worst designed console i have ever bought. Since i got the X its been ditched aside from exclusives. As soon as i finish death stranding/shenmue 3 im selling it.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
My regular PS4 is loud as my vacuum cleaner from time to time. When I booted up Little Nightmares last week I was fairly certain my PS4 was about to burst off in to space. I shut it down and rebooted the system and tried again.. this time I didnt fear for my life hehe.

Not sure it's a PS4 pro problem but a PS4 problem in general.

Octopop

Oct 27, 2017
The noise is the main reason I have switched over to using my One X for multi platform games. Both consoles kept in a well ventilated cabinet and the PS4 Pro is ridiculous. I've opened it up to check for any ventilation issues caused by dust and have moved it out into the open next to my TV but the noise is the same regardless.

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
The idea to put the console in another room with a long hdmi cable because of noise is ridiculous.

Not saying that the noise level isn't an issue.
I stopped playing my base PS4 in my bedroom because of the noise levels. Thing was weaking up my girlfriend when playing Fortnite next to her.

The fan goes wild now even when only watching Netflix.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I have a launch PS4 base and it's becoming loud as well, even when playing Fortnite. and goes extreme with Monster Hunter and such. Didn't with help with this heat wave though, it was about to take off.

Last edited:

blackmass

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin - Germany
My OG PS4 is fine actually. For the moment. MGS V is the only game where I think: "wtf is happening here? That's the menu."

I saw the Pro live and in action and yup, the noise is a joke.

Kerozinn

Banned
May 11, 2018
playing overwatch right now and my glacier white pro is silent with audio muted. my old og ps4 tho was a jet engine lol

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well everybody already knows that, that's why you buy PS4 Slim instead of that cheap burger piece of console.

That's what I did. Truly the superior option.

Hopefully Sony's build quality improves DRAMATICALLY next-gen because they have honestly been pretty terrible for two generations now, maybe more. PS2s had disc read errors, didn't it? And then there are those stories of people flipping their PS1s upside down to make them work...

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty resentful about having to get a Pro to get the best out of Spider-Man. This fan issue is a huge turn off, plus no UHD disk drive despite claiming to be a 4k console etc. I'd much prefer paying extra and getting a One X level of polish and quality jump.

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
my pro too is loud , when i was playing god of war i had to put headphones and i couldnt play in the morning it was waking up my wife , im playing a lot more with my xbox one x

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My regular PS4 is about to take off. Playing NNK2 and It's so loud i'm afraid it might wake up the neighbors.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic

Hopefully Sony's build quality improves DRAMATICALLY next-gen because they have honestly been pretty terrible for two generations now, maybe more. PS2s had disc read errors, didn't it? And then there are those stories of people flipping their PS1s upside down to make them work...
Never heard of that stories, but than again, I cannot properly understand English until like PS3 came out, so that's probably why. And here consoles are luxury, so I see PS2 only as one box it store one time with my own eyes : )

Powerwing

Nov 30, 2017
Made the mistake of buying the Pro instead of the Slim, at that time my focus was on the performance side and more specificaly the PS VR which i'm not using very often. I changed my Delta fan for a Nidec one and also thermal pads and thermal paste, it made an improvement but it still far from quiet. Of course when playing NON enhanced pro games it's dead silent. In the future i certainly will wait before making a move when buying a console....

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

No joke it just works.

Hell Shinobi

Oct 27, 2017
My OG PS4 is fine actually. For the moment. MGS V is the only game where I think: "wtf is happening here? That's the menu."

I saw the Pro live and in action and yup, the noise is a joke.

Same game same problem. I changed the place of the console 2 weeks ago from a a much enclosed space to a completely open space and it got worse. We are facing a heat wave now but I guess it's time to open it and clean the dust and change the thermal paste.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've put my pro to output at 1080p just now and it's helping (I'm mainly playing NMS right now and it needs to be at 1080p and Hello Games have no in-game toggle).

It's anything "4K" related that causes it to go crazy. That plus unlocked framerates.

MasterVampire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Get a really long hdmi cable. Like 20 meters.
Move PS4 to another room behind a closed door.
Silent living room while gaming !

Status
Not open for further replies.