• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Had for a few years, no warranty.

Have tried different outlets, turned off for 30 seconds, hold down power button still nothing.

I'm assuming I need to take it to ebgames or something to replace the power, fml honestly.

cebri

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, your power supply is probably dead. Happened to me while back with a PC. It really does suck.

YonderOne

Nov 29, 2018
Perth, Australia
If it was in rest mode, or on while your power died, big chance the power supply in it died. I'm just gonna assume based on posting time that you're Australian so the Reboot system at EB might be a good way to go if you can't afford to shell out for a new PS4. I would highly recommend a surge protector too, cheap as chips and will save you the hassle should it happen again!

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
If it was in rest mode, or on while your power died, big chance the power supply in it died. I'm just gonna assume based on posting time that you're Australian so the Reboot system at EB might be a good way to go if you can't afford to shell out for a new PS4. I would highly recommend a surge protector too, cheap as chips and will save you the hassle should it happen again!

It was off and just simply won't turn off again, everything else plugged into the same power outlet works fine. Nintendo switch and TV both working normally, only the ps4 pro won't turn back on...

cebri

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I assume I have to take it to ebgames Australia to get fixed? If they have to replace the whole power supply, how long and how much am I expected to pay?

I'm from Europe so I don't know exactly where you have to go there, but I'd check whether your warranty covers it first. Also call Sony's costumer care, they should be able to provide you with information about if you have to pay for the fix and how much. Then maybe go to some gameshops that do repairs and compare prices.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like you'll need to bring it somewhere for repair/power supply replacement. I can't imagine it being super expensive or ultimately not worth the cost but hopefully someone here can give you more info. Truly sucks, sorry OP.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

Have tried different outlets, turned off for 30 seconds, hold down power button still nothing.

I'm assuming I need to take it to ebgames or something to replace the power, fml honestly.

I had this happen a few months back. Power button wouldn't work at all, so I unplugged the power cord for a minute and plugged it back in. It turned on and rebuilt the database after that.

Edit: I should mention that I pulled the power cord from the console end and not the outlet end. It might not make a difference but who knows?

Last edited:

YonderOne

Nov 29, 2018
Perth, Australia
It was off and just simply won't turn off again, everything else plugged into the same power outlet works fine. Nintendo switch and TV both working normally, only the ps4 pro won't turn back on...

Could still be a surge. Especially considering it isn't powering on when it's connected to other outlets, and that your other devices are still good. When I worked at EB we referred customers to Sony's Tech Support for repairs, you could talk to them and get a quote and then speak to EB once they open tomorrow morning and compare what they charge for a repair. I think EB has the added benefit of being able to pay with afterpay, trades, etc. (If finance isn't great, as it can be around Xmas).

Could be a whacked cable too, might be worth trying another before you try the repair route.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Unplug the power cord from the back and let it sit for 10 minutes or so.

I've had similar troubles with my base ps4 when the power goes out.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Replace the wire and leave the system unplugged for a couple of hours. I've had this happen with my PS3 once, leaving it off for about 4 hours seemed to have fixed it for me personally. Could still be a dead PSU of course, in which case a repair is needed, but since it's weekend leaving it unplugged is the faster option until the weekend is over.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Could still be a surge. Especially considering it isn't powering on when it's connected to other outlets, and that your other devices are still good. When I worked at EB we referred customers to Sony's Tech Support for repairs, you could talk to them and get a quote and then speak to EB once they open tomorrow morning and compare what they charge for a repair. I think EB has the added benefit of being able to pay with afterpay, trades, etc. (If finance isn't great, as it can be around Xmas).

Could be a whacked cable too, might be worth trying another before you try the repair route.

Can I use a normal ps4 power cable for the pro?

Nov 30, 2017

Your model could be different but it's an easy fix. I work on all my electronics in the interest of getting them back faster.

Not a money thing but its always quicker.

Nov 30, 2017
Possibly dumb question but have you checked fuse panel in home? Other things work in same outlets correct?

Again a PC power supply is an easy fix. Members here could take you through it if you don't know how. Good luck.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Did you unplug the cord from the back of the PS4? I've had this issue with my PS4 and xbox one when we get power outages.

WallSniper

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I have mine hooked up to a surge protector, but I have seen it have issues turning on after an outage. I unplugged and plugged back in and tried different combinations of holding down the power button.

When you press the power, does anything happen at all?

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Take the console to a friends and see if it will work on their power. The last thing you want to do is misdiagnose the problem and end up paying for nothing.

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I'm on team fuse box. Reset breakers. Also, are you sure the electricity is back in your home? haha.

Oct 26, 2017

MY PC ISNT WORKING ALSO

for the PC, unplug it, leave it unplugged for 30 minutes.

reseat the ram and see if you can get it to turn on, by plugging the power directly into the wall outlet.

if not.

unplugged, leave alone for 30 minutes. remove the power supply and replace it. Theres a chance that the power supply went bad.
hopefully this fixes it, if it doesnt, then theres a chance your mother board got zapped.

for the ps4pro.
Have you tried plugging it directly into the wall outlet?

theres a chance, that your powerstrip got messed up, and is not supply the necessary power to boot things.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. I think you said you tried it but it happened to me and I completely separated the power cord from the PS4 and outlet, waited like half an hour, and then if I remember right even when I plugged it back in it didnt work until I held the power button on the PS4 for over 10 seconds.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
This is why I have backup ups connected to my ps4 pro for sudden power outages, it will cost you around 100$ but should be well worth the investment for long term peace of mind.

Oct 30, 2017
Boston
My worst nightmare, my Pro is plugged into a surge protector but I have been having power outages like once a week. Its not my home because the neighbors said theirs goes out too. I am so lucky my Pro hasn't crapped out yet. I need to hurry up and buy a USP.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
That sucks. I think you said you tried it but it happened to me and I completely separated the power cord from the PS4 and outlet, waited like half an hour, and then if I remember right even when I plugged it back in it didnt work until I held the power button on the PS4 for over 10 seconds.

Yup nothing happens when holding down the button.

Oct 25, 2017
This happened to me with my base Xbox One a while back. My brother had been moving it around and didn't plug it into the surge protector. Two of our TVs got fucked up too because the cable company used shitty wiring. Sorry OP, it sucks.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably a busted power supply. They're replaceable with the right tools. If you're comfortable with opening it up, here's a guide. Otherwise take it to a repair shop and they'll probably sort it out :)

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my street has a power outage about once every six months. the last one killed the ps4 database, forcing a rebuild to stock. lost all my saves, screenshots, game play videos, etc. the saves i recovered from ps+, but i'm pissed i lost the rest. not as annoying as a bricked console though.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This happened to my brother in law and he lost several devices. A lightning bolt hit his apartment tower or something. It likely needs a power supply replacement. In any case, in future, I'd recommend always having your devices plugged into surge protected power extenders.

Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country
I've been having frequent power outages over the past few months, and this has been my biggest fear for my Pro. It's the only console where I have to rebuild its database every time it happens (have an external HDD plugged in also), and I feel either the console or HDD will fail eventually at some point. At least it's connected to a power surge.

Magic

Oct 29, 2017
Bit of a random one, I had a similar issue with my Pro that I've had for a few months (UK). After the outage I tried everything but thought that was it, but then I tried unplugging and plugging my controller back in and then switching it on with that and it worked. Did the usual rebuild database then etc. Might be a completely different thing but worth a try...

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
I had this happen a few months back. Power button wouldn't work at all, so I unplugged the power cord for a minute and plugged it back in. It turned on and rebuilt the database after that.

Edit: I should mention that I pulled the power cord from the console end and not the outlet end. It might not make a difference but who knows?
This does make a difference. Unplug it from the machine AND the outlet

Oct 25, 2017
Are your saves not automatically stored in the cloud or is that only if you have PS+?
Cloud saves are PS+ only. I usually expect people to have it unless they say otherwise because PS+ is pretty much mandatory in the modern age with every game having some form of online connectivity.

If OP had PS+, he may lose a day or two of progress but the saves should be backed up.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
I've been having frequent power outages over the past few months, and this has been my biggest fear for my Pro. It's the only console where I have to rebuild its database every time it happens (have an external HDD plugged in also), and I feel either the console or HDD will fail eventually at some point. At least it's connected to a power surge.
If your having a lot of power outages I'd recommend buying a brand new surge protector often. I lost my tv to a power outage this summer even though it was plugged into a surge protector. It was only 2 years old.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong but I heard that surge protectors become useless once they've been zapped enough times. I have a reminder in my phone to buy a new surge protector every 10 months now.