• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So wait, why isn't this working on PS5 exactly?

On my Series X, it just automatically started downloading the upgrade of my Xbox One copy of Crash 4 to the next-gen version, and then I played it. What happens on PS5?

(I do have a PS5 but I haven't had a game to try doing the PS4 > PS5 upgrade with yet).

Nov 24, 2020
Tampa, Fl

On my Series X, it just automatically started downloading the upgrade of my Xbox One copy of Crash 4 to the next-gen version, and then I played it. What happens on PS5?

(I do have a PS5 but I haven't had a game to try doing the PS4 > PS5 upgrade with yet).

Yeah no auto download, they are seperate downloads on ps5. If you press options on a game one of them is game version which would show ps4 and ps5 versions. But some funky shit happens if you are trying to upgrade digital versions it seems.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA

Microsoft calls that Smart Delivery, so you only play the version of the game applicable to the console you're running it on. As soon as a Series X version is available, that's what you get.

Sony doesn't do that and keeps everything as distinct SKUs, so in order to get a PS5 version you have to redeem the new new version on the store, and that's where things start breaking down since it's not an automatic entitlement.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017

PS5 is a utter and complete mess compared to xbox when it comes to next gen.

Xbox has a single SKU for every game, and the system automatically figures out what to download and install and where. There is only one set of achievements.

PS5 creates an entirely new game for each next gen game, with a complete different save and trophy system. So for example Crash Bandicoot 4 has Crash4-PS4, and Crash4-PS5. You can install both, or just one. The PS5 version is without a suffix, like "Crash Bandicoot Lost in Time", while the PS4 version adds "PS4" as a suffix. There are sub menus that let you switch between the versions. Like I said, they use totally seperate save games and trophies and do not intermix or anything, you could play the entire game with the PS4 version and never get a single PS5 trophy. There is a way to export/import saves from the PS4 version to the PS5 version (but not the other way around), but not all games allow this - Hitman 3 for example does NOT.

Its a real hassle and shows the difference between a company super focused on software (Microsoft) and one that well... isn't.

You get used to it pretty fast, the "..." button next to Play lets you quickly see which version you are about to play and see what else you can do, and you learn to adapt fast but the first time you run into all of this all you can think of is "what the fuck is this shit".

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Not to downplay the problem, I am an xboxsx owner and reading this alternative does not seem very streamlined but maybe some posts are a bit of an overreaction? Hopefully they can fix up the problems soon.

Is it possible that there could be some software patent issues involved with making things work this way? I remember that was a reason why Sony had to have download and then install compared to the xbox doing both at the same time. Has Sony been able to change that by the way?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

Smart Delivery. Just better backend solution and Microsoft actually doing SD for the publishers. The last part was said in a interview months ago iirc.
Is it possible that there could be some software patent issues involved with making things work this way? I remember that was a reason why Sony had to have download and then install compared to the xbox doing both at the same time. Has Sony been able to change that by the way?
No patent aren't the reason iirc for both issues you mentioned. Sony just design these things differently than Microsoft has. To answer your question... Nope, PS5 still uses their download/copy approach. It's just faster than on PS4.
Ah that's what you meant. I don't know whether disc users have the issue, however other platforms don't have the issue disk/digital, so being digital is not the real problem here. Of course in this case it could be, but if Sony and the publisher would've done better work, disc vs digital shouldn't matter at all.

Last edited:

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I upgraded Crash 4 on PS5 yesterday and could not believe how much of a clusterfuck it was.

Booted up the console.
I saw that Crash 4 got an update. Figured, cool, this must be the PS5 upgrade!
Boot the game. Quickly realize that nope, this is still the PS4 version. Uh, okay... what now?
Head over to the PS Store and see that the PS5 version is available with a "Free upgrade" text. Okay, at least now I'm getting somewhere. I start this download.
Once it completes, I start the game. At least now it's the PS5 version.
Get to the main menu. I figured it would automatically get my saved game, right? Nope, it's starting up fresh with no saved games. Uhhhh...
I see there's an option to download from the cloud. I try that, and nope, the PS4 version hadn't automatically uploaded my saved game. Well fuck, now I have to hope I can still do it from the PS4 version.
Go back to the home screen and uh... ... can I still access the PS4 version? ... Quickly move around and don't see anything.
Head over to the game library, filter by platform, select PS4. Okay, the game is still there.
Boot up the PS4 version, and upload my saved game to the cloud.
Head over to the game library, filter by platform, select PS5.
Boot up the PS5 version, and downloaded my saved game from the cloud.

Holy shit look how many steps this is for something that should have been absolutely seamless. Hey on the plus side the PS5 version instantly gave me all the trophies I had in the PS4 version upon loading my saved game. Yay, I guess?

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Sony's back-end infrastructure for dealing with intergenerational games is leaving a lot to be desires. MS clearly put a lot more thought into this one aspect of things.

Sony makes great hardware and fantastic games, but their QoL stuff on their system is really painful.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
The official news blurb on the (German) ps5-store about the next-gen Crash 4 release says March 21 instead of March 12. Maybe Activision has something mixed up internally regarding the unlock time which causes the "tracker"-issue?

IMG-20210314-175101.jpg

OP
OP
PS9

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The official news blurb on the (German) ps5-store about the next-gen Crash 4 release says March 21 instead of March 12. Maybe Activision has something mixed up internally regarding the unlock time which causes the "tracker"-issue?

IMG-20210314-175101.jpg
Definitely a possibility. It says March 12th for me but who knows.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm becoming increasingly convinced that Sony made the wrong decision by forcing separate versions of games for PS4 and PS5.

Tell me about it, I went to see a friend this past weekend and we installed Destiny 2 to try 120fps on his TV......fucking PS5 download the PS4 version.

Why the fuck does the 5th generation of a console even let you download an older generations version of a game instead of the one for the system you're on is the dumbest fucking thing in the world

Nov 13, 2017
Have had many, many people in my Crash 4 video comments saying this.

It's also strange how if you own the PS4 disc, you get a free upgrade, but you can't permanently uninstall the PS4 version of the game from your PS5. Every time you put the disc in (which is required for the PS5 version for these people), it reinstalls the PS4 version. It's a bungle for sure.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Tell me about it, I went to see a friend this past weekend and we installed Destiny 2 to try 120fps on his TV......fucking PS5 download the PS4 version.

Why the fuck does the 5th generation of a console even let you download an older generations version of a game instead of the one for the system you're on is the dumbest fucking thing in the world

see although sometimes there maybe some issues like I had with MK11 or Crash, most of the time it has been fine. And allowing you to play both version of the game is the best choice IMO. I like having the option there. And I can honestly say I have had my PS5 since launch and it has never downloaded the wrong version. And when playing FIFA PS5 from a PS4 disc it does not install the PS4version either.

Have had many, many people in my Crash 4 video comments saying this.

It's also strange how if you own the PS4 disc, you get a free upgrade, but you can't permanently uninstall the PS4 version of the game from your PS5. Every time you put the disc in (which is required for the PS5 version for these people), it reinstalls the PS4 version. It's a bungle for sure.

It does not do this, they fixed it with a firmware update. If it installs the PS4 version you would have to click it manually

Nov 13, 2017
see although sometimes there maybe some issues like I had with MK11 or Crash, most of the time it has been fine. And allowing you to play both version of the game is the best choice IMO. I like having the option there. And I can honestly say I have had my PS5 since launch and it has never downloaded the wrong version. And when playing FIFA PS5 from a PS4 disc it does not install the PS4version either.

It does not do this, they fixed it with a firmware update. If it installs the PS4 version you would have to click it manually

I don't think this is true, as I've had several people this week tell that it reinstalls the PS4 version every time they put the disc in.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017

IMG-20210314-175101.jpg

Maybe but still some got it already and there's no logic to delay the release for Europe more than a week. At my end sometimes the game will show "coming soon" when I click it in library, and the same March 12 when I choose through "..." so the whole thing is messed up, I believe they just need to restart the CDN servers 😅

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
I upgraded Crash 4 on PS5 yesterday and could not believe how much of a clusterfuck it was.

Booted up the console.
I saw that Crash 4 got an update. Figured, cool, this must be the PS5 upgrade!
Boot the game. Quickly realize that nope, this is still the PS4 version. Uh, okay... what now?
Head over to the PS Store and see that the PS5 version is available with a "Free upgrade" text. Okay, at least now I'm getting somewhere. I start this download.
Once it completes, I start the game. At least now it's the PS5 version.
Get to the main menu. I figured it would automatically get my saved game, right? Nope, it's starting up fresh with no saved games. Uhhhh...
I see there's an option to download from the cloud. I try that, and nope, the PS4 version hadn't automatically uploaded my saved game. Well fuck, now I have to hope I can still do it from the PS4 version.
Go back to the home screen and uh... ... can I still access the PS4 version? ... Quickly move around and don't see anything.
Head over to the game library, filter by platform, select PS4. Okay, the game is still there.
Boot up the PS4 version, and upload my saved game to the cloud.
Head over to the game library, filter by platform, select PS5.
Boot up the PS5 version, and downloaded my saved game from the cloud.

Holy shit look how many steps this is for something that should have been absolutely seamless. Hey on the plus side the PS5 version instantly gave me all the trophies I had in the PS4 version upon loading my saved game. Yay, I guess?
This is just shameful. How does this exist in 2021?

FlashFlooder

Oct 30, 2017
If I had to guess, I'd say that Sony didn't think cross-generational upgrades would stick around long enough to bother with coding something more elegant...
If I had to guess, I'd say that Sony did what they always do and shipped their flagship product with a half-baked and buggy firmware. It's mind-boggling how they manage to do this every single time.

I'm sure the software will eventually be great, but if history is any indication it'll be a good 2-3 years before it gets the features it should've had at launch.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
If I had to guess, I'd say that Sony didn't think cross-generational upgrades would stick around long enough to bother with coding something more elegant...

So I guess Covid didn't happen for them then? The intergenerational hand-off was always going to be more pronounced this time given the circumstances so it's bizarre to see their apparent attitude on this. How does this stuff pass through all the layers of the company and no one says "uh this probably needs to get fixed"? It is interesting to see for sure. Most people won't bother to complain publicly though since they're tied to the ecosystem and don't know or care that a competitor does it better hence this kind of stuff continuing on. Sony has no reason to do better. They have a captive audience.

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
No issues thanks to the "just marketing" Smart delivery. Turns out it's more than marketing and thus more than many believed on era.
If I had to guess, I'd say that Sony did what they always do and shipped their flagship product with a half-baked and buggy firmware. It's mind-boggling how they manage to do this every single time.
Well, consumers want their next gen UI experience. This is what you get and also got on Xbox prior to Xbox Series X|S. I hope console consumers including journalist learn, but they probably won't.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I bought Crash for my son yesterday and I really don't understand why once you purchase they give an option to download a PS4 version and PS5 version.

Why not just default download the PS5 version?

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I have noticed it only resinstalls if the wifi doesn't connect quick enough on boot-up

now that is interesting. It does an online check to see if you own the game before installing? Should all the licence not be on your account whether online or offline? So weird.

one thing I have noticed as well is that on my receipt they email you for both Yakuza and FIFAis that it lists the PS5 upgrade as a demo. Some weird things behind the scenes

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
I'm in Europe and I was able to get my upgrade no problem. Same goes for all other games with free upgrades (NMS, Borderlands 3 etc)

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
So I guess Covid didn't happen for them then? The intergenerational hand-off was always going to be more pronounced this time given the circumstances so it's bizarre to see their apparent attitude on this. How does this stuff pass through all the layers of the company and no one says "uh this probably needs to get fixed"? It is interesting to see for sure. Most people won't bother to complain publicly though since they're tied to the ecosystem and don't know or care that a competitor does it better hence this kind of stuff continuing on. Sony has no reason to do better. They have a captive audience.
When you have Jim Ryan and others talking mess about how PS5 is for PS5 games you can sorta see how something like this may happen. They could have easily decided this was not enough of an experienced problem to streamline or make the process more elegant.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
Oh no. 24 hours on a visual upgrade. Whatever shall the world do!

I feel like this sort of attitude to stuff is precisely why this industry is a mess. Everyone demanding everything right this second. Does it really matter? It's been a single day. They didn't have to give PS4 owners an upgrade at all.

If I paid for a product and I was unable to access what I paid for I too would be a tad upset. Its ok to be critical of your platform of choice and its equally ok for people to vent their frustrations as well. They arent personally attacking you!

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Same here. The firmware update did nothing to address this.

I got no idea haha. I know it does not do this for me. And that said I was speaking with some people that have also redeemed the free PS5 upgrade for crash from the disc on launch day. Obviously some weird bugs going on somewhere.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
I bought Crash 4 last week. When the PS5 version was available, I went to the PS store, found the game, hit the three dots next to it and selected the PS5 version. Downloaded it and worked for me.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I just don't understand why they don't have 2 big "buttons"

PS4 version
PS5 version

Why are they hiding it in that ... menu ? That is bad design.

But i don't need some smart system, i'm able to decide between 2 "buttons".

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the posts in this thread are ridiculous.

"How dare you expect something to work the way the publisher said it would on the day that they told you it would. The entitlement!"
"It's YOUR fault that these poor publishers have to set dates and then overwork their employees Smh"
It really is ridiculous, isn't it? Some of the takes in this thread got me needing to take a nap. I hope everyone gets access to the content that they own and has already been released, it's a failure on the various companies part that you have to wait.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
The upgrade system on PS5 is really annoying, Sony should make a complete team only to handle the backwards compability and upgrade stuff.