• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
WaffleTaco are you ok?
giphy.gif

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any ideas on what people think Spider-man will do in lifetime sales, maybe 12 Million?

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
If PS4 did 5.6 mi on holidays Xbox one best scenario 2.8 mi ?

Deleted member 34385

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
i am glad i bought the ps4. to be honest thought, i had the original ps4. the ps4 pro and i changed my ps4 pro for the new ps4 pro with a quiter fan. i just finished god of war and i am buying spiderman once that goes under 30 euro. i had some of the best experiences and also own the vr since a month. this generation has been amazing, i think i will stop buying games this year and save up for the ps5.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Most SSDs are based on Flash, but are much more expensive than the equivalent amount of cheap flash memory.

The ps3 super slim which launched with 12GB of flash is the comparison here. It was stripped down to the bare minimum and would not run most games with that 12GB but wasn't meant to.

You want to run games that need a ton of space, plug in a hard drive you already own. Since the ps4 supports internal AND external drives now, its even more feasible.

128 is workable if Sony really wants to get a 99 or 129 PS4 out of the door, especially if they're pushing it as a streaming box with 6 months of PSNOW or similar to play ps4 games
Not really that much more expensive, SSDs are shockingly cheap these days, especially the small ones that're comparible to the flash drives you're bringing up. The main reason why retail flash drives tend to be cheaper is because they're much lower quality but it's not like Sony's going to buy those off retail shelves or even buy dirt cheap flash memory from manufacturers, so it's a bit of a pointless debate.

Personally, I think shipping a PS3 with only 12GB was a mistake in the first place, so saying "they should do that again" isn't really a convincing argument to me. From what I recall, even though it helped lower the PS3's price it didn't actually help sales all that much and it wasn't exactly a good look in the media. So I think if they're going to do it they need to include enough storage so that players can comfortably use their console without an asterisk at the end saying they need to buy an internal or external HDD as well.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Any ideas on what people think Spider-man will do in lifetime sales, maybe 12 Million?

Impossible to say. Sony can (and probably will) re-release it in another bundle, as a GOTY/remastered edition for PSPro, or blow it out on PSN sales with regularity when its getting long in the tooth.

Who knows where the ceiling is on it.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
i am glad i bought the ps4. to be honest thought, i had the original ps4. the ps4 pro and i changed my ps4 pro for the new ps4 pro with a quiter fan. i just finished god of war and i am buying spiderman once that goes under 30 euro. i had some of the best experiences and also own the vr since a month. this generation has been amazing, i think i will stop buying games this year and save up for the ps5.

The PS4 Pro and you changed your PS4 Pro for the new PS4 Pro?

ap,550x550,16x12,1,transparent,t.u1.png

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Not really that much more expensive, SSDs are shockingly cheap these days, especially the small ones that're comparible to the flash drives you're bringing up. The main reason why retail flash drives tend to be cheaper is because they're much lower quality but it's not like Sony's going to buy those off retail shelves or even buy dirt cheap flash memory from manufacturers, so it's a bit of a pointless debate.

Personally, I think shipping a PS3 with only 12GB was a mistake in the first place, so saying "they should do that again" isn't really a convincing argument to me. From what I recall, even though it helped lower the PS3's price it didn't actually help sales all that much and it wasn't exactly a good look in the media. So I think if they're going to do it they need to include enough storage so that players can comfortably use their console without an asterisk at the end saying they need to buy an internal or external HDD as well.

If we're talking cost cutting then it doesn't matter how much cheaper flash is than an SSD. if Sony saves 10 dollars a unit thats still worth it because you're on a scale where you're manufacturing millions of the things. You make even 2 million with flash instead of an SSD you've just saved Sony 20 million in cash and that's not trivial.

If you have sales data on the ps3 super slim I'd love to see it. Other wise this is just conjecture on how you personally feel about such a system.

By and large, systems like the super slim arent FOR enthusiasts who post on boards like this, they're for people looking for the cheapest possible option. You don't think its a good look? Wonderful. Sony wasn't making those for you.

All we can say with any certainty without sales data is that Sony felt that 12GB system was profitable enough to start manufacturing them. So it could be done, has been done.

And once again your objection ignores that PSNOW exists. Someone going that route needs barely any storage space at all. Its not a likely route for anyone posting in this thread, but it might make sense to someone looking for a cheap Netflix box that can stream the occasional game.

Edit: and before the "PSNOW SUCKS" crew chimes in, latest data shows that between july and september of 2008, PSNOW controlled 52% of gaming subscription services, ahead of gamepass at 15% and EA Access at 16%.

https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2018/1...ounts-for-52-of-gaming-subscription-services/

People are signing up for that at a fair clip, even if the value proposition isn't there for the hardcore.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly expect Sony to push their big 3 games as Ps5 games like Nintendo with botw.

So I honestly think they won't release the games in 2019, but also Ps5 is 2020.

At this point, it's in Sony's best interest to push Ps5. Releasing tlou2 as ps4 only most likely won't move the hardware needle very much, and probably doesn't have to with 100+ million ps4 sold.
But pushing those games as Ps5 games like botw on the switch?

Could give them a huge momentum push right out the gate.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
which is why i said 128-200 GB and not 12GB, try to keep up.
Im not talking about the size. I'm talking about he speed and the amount it can read/write. 128gb flash drive that reliable and fast? might as well get a 256gb SSD

PS3 didnt install most of it's games first and didnt rely on the HD as much as the PS4.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Pro but I'd totally buy a 7nm super slim if it's $200 and at least 40% smaller than current slim. I'm a sucker for slim models

91M is crazy. It should do another 15M easy in 2019 if not more. I could see it at 105M this time next year and depending on price, maybe 110M.

If PS5 is holiday 2020, then the PS4 should do another 10M in 2020 minimum, probably more.

Could be 115-120M by the time PS5 ships if it's holiday 2020.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Im not talking about the size. I'm talking about he speed and the amount it can read/write. 128gb flash drive that reliable and fast? might as well get a 256gb SSD

PS3 didnt install most of it's games first and didnt rely on the HD as much as the PS4.

PS3 games almost all required some form of install by the time the super slim launched in 2013- 7 full years after the OG ps3 launched in 2006. Every single game on that system was at least 720p with most flagship games supporting 1080p.

Sony's message with that was that if you needed something high performance, that wasn't for you, or you could install your own drive.

That message is still valid if not moreso, since the PS4 supports external drives (the ps3 did not), and there is a streaming option that does not require a ton of hard drive space.

I'm not sure why we're still debating this, since the original premise of "this can't be done" was already disproven. The only issue is whether Sony thinks it's a good idea (and the 12GB stayed in production for 3 years) and none of us can answer that.

Last edited:

John Wick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Unrelated to the actual accomplishment, I've seen a metric ton more people make a Nicheman reference than the actual original source of spiderman being niche (one person). At this point I have to assume some of you don't know what the word niche actually means, and think it's a nice nickname for spoodermeng.

It needs to stop. It's become predictable and boring. What makes it worse is that one person said it. Since then ERA has taken one fucking persons opinion and turned it into the opinion of the masses

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Wait, Sony expected to sell 50M PSVRs?

Well, Kinect sold half of that, and it was a shitty gimmick. Mostly because tracking latency is an order of magnitude too high.

PSVR is actually not a shitty gimmick. Its tracking latency is fantastic and VR is the future and whatnot.

In a just world, PSVR should have sold twice as much as Kinect. It's only in hindsight that we can see what a pipe dream that was :)

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Congrats Sony. Amazing work with the PS4. Well deserved.

Sony and Nintendo are firing on all cylinders. Great leadership.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, Kinect sold half of that, and it was a shitty gimmick. Mostly because tracking latency is an order of magnitude too high.

PSVR is actually not a shitty gimmick. Its tracking latency is fantastic and VR is the future and whatnot.

In a just world, PSVR should have sold twice as much as Kinect. It's only in hindsight that we can see what a pipe dream that was :)

PSVR costs far more, I don't think 50M is realistic in PS4's lifetime.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
PS3 games almost all required some form of install by the time the super slim launched in 2013- 7 full years after the OG ps3 launched in 2006. Every single game on that system was at least 720p with most flagship games supporting 1080p.

Sony's message with that was that if you needed something high performance, that wasn't for you, or you could install your own drive.

That message is still valid if not moreso, since the PS4 supports external drives (the ps3 did not), and there is a streaming option that does not require a ton of hard drive space.

I'm not sure why we're still debating this, since the original premise of "this can't be done" was already disproven. The only issue is whether Sony thinks it's a good idea (and the 12GB stayed in production for 3 years) and none of us can answer that.

I think I can answer that! Sony thinks it's a bad idea.

They're going to probably run with hybrid drives in order to maximize their profit margins early on. SSD, flash memory, etc...simply isn't happening (this generation or next).

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
It needs to stop. It's become predictable and boring. What makes it worse is that one person said it. Since then ERA has taken one fucking persons opinion and turned it into the opinion of the masses

It's one of the most funny and at the same time ridiculous and absurd quotes ever made on this site about the most famous and beloved superhero in the world. It has become a meme and a running gag. It certainly does not have to stop. It's funny as fuck now that Spider-Man is destroying multiplatform games in sales.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Going by those sold numbers for ps4, they are gonna blast through their shipping goal for the fiscal year. I think they will get 18.5m shipped, and thats without any sale in december! Crazy.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think Spiderman has potential to reach 20 million LTD.

I mean... 9 million in 2 months and 18 days...? Holy hell

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
People are actually bothered by Niche-Man now.

It's a dumb reference that's gonna be around for at least a little while longer. Complaining about it will have the opposite effect that you're looking for.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Pro but I'd totally buy a 7nm super slim if it's $200 and at least 40% smaller than current slim. I'm a sucker for slim models

91M is crazy. It should do another 15M easy in 2019 if not more. I could see it at 105M this time next year and depending on price, maybe 110M.

If PS5 is holiday 2020, then the PS4 should do another 10M in 2020 minimum, probably more.

Could be 115-120M by the time PS5 ships if it's holiday 2020.

After PS5 launch they should roll out that 299.- PS4VR bundle I predicted (aka dreamed about) back on the old forum ;) but maybe by the time it'll be obsolete because of cheap standalone headsets, I don't know.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
PSVR costs far more, I don't think 50M is realistic in PS4's lifetime.

Yeah that's a REALLY high number. If we anticipate 120m people buy a ps4, that means about 42%....damn near half...of the ps4 userbase bought a $200+ accessory.

That's absurd and cant possibly have been a target Sony intended for the ps4 lifespan

Deleted member 50969

Banned
Dec 17, 2018

Wiki has Kinect at 35 million in 7 years.

Also, your preference blinds you.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think they will drop to $250 with the launch of Days Gone. Would line up with the new fiscal year and more PS4 manufacturing cost cutting. Would expect a $399 PRO bundle as well.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good example of people not understanding why a certain metric is indicative of anything.

Since there's the idea that when a console or game is launched, the manufacturer may try flooding the market with the consoles and say that they've sold X amount.

But when it's a PlayStation that's been sold out at times during black Friday and Christmas, it's a pointless discussion.
Agreed. We are coming to that point where unit sales will no longer matter. It's about services and support. Hardware is cheap and almost worthless. I wouldn't be surprised if we never knew how many consoles any of them sold at some point today just what the MAU, engagement, revenue per user, whatever.

Deleted member 50969

Banned
Dec 17, 2018
Are you arguing about Kinect's performance? I don't feel like it performed very well and that's one of the reasons it was dropped from the Xbox One (along with price reduction).

Even if we look at the Kinect and PSVR two year track record, the Kinect is still higher by a vast number. It was only Kinect V2 that had a bad time and that's probably sold more than the PSVR.

35 million only bolsters my argument further so thanks for the correction.

I vastly prefer VR to Kinect. I don't think that's a controversial opinion in the least so i'm puzzled by your comment.

You don't reach 35 million by being "shitty" that's just pure delusion.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Even if we look at the Kinect and PSVR two year track record, the Kinect is still higher by a vast number. It was only Kinect V2 that had a bad time and that's probably sold more than the PSVR.

You don't reach 35 million by being "shitty" that's just pure delusion.

I owned 2 Kinects. Kinect 1 and Kinect 2. They. Were. Garbage. Because. Of. Too. High. Latency.

If you wish to argue that Kinect is great, the floor is yours. Please tell us about your wonderful experiences with Kinect, and tell me the last time you played a Kinect game.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Kinect also cost 1/3rd of PSVR when it launched.
Anyway Sony's expectations actually underestimated initial market-demand, and that in turn was obviously nowhere near Kinect (let alone 2xKinect) so any wishful thinking came from fans, not manufacturers (this goes for PCVR sales as well).

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Kinect also cost 1/3rd of PSVR when it launched.
Anyway Sony's expectations actually underestimated initial market-demand, and that in turn was obviously nowhere near Kinect (let alone 2xKinect) so any wishful thinking came from fans, not manufacturers (this goes for PCVR sales as well).

This can't be understated. My friend worked on marketing for the Move and I remember thinking sales must've been disappointing, but Sony told them sales met their expectations and they were happy with their work. Made me realize how out of whack expectations can be between a gaming forum and the actual companies making the products.

Just like the PS4 sales talk. Sony is probably fine with sales. There is no reason to drop the price or push heavy promotions if they're meeting their internal expectations.

Deleted member 50969

Banned
Dec 17, 2018
I owned 2 Kinects. Kinect 1 and Kinect 2. They. Were. Garbage. Because. Of. Too. High. Latency.

If you wish to argue that Kinect is great, the floor is yours. Please tell us about your wonderful experiences with Kinect, and tell me the last time you played a Kinect game.

I didn't tout the Kinect as a great product because frankly it isn't, what I did say was you don't get to 35 million by being "shitty" which is true for most parts. Being emotional over a product is sad.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not only unrealistic, it's straight up impossible.

You're correct that Kinect cost 199 and PSVR cost 299 + optional PS move wands. I forgot about that. Yes, that definitely had a huge negative impact for sure. I
PSVR launched with a $399 price. Without anything bundled (standard SKU). It will reach 4 million units sold soon-ish. So imo these are very good numbers so far :)

Emilijo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best selling PS4 exclusives:

Marvel's Spider-Man - 9 million sold after 2 months and 18 days
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 8.7 million sold after 7 months and 11 days
Horizon Zero Dawn - 7.6 million sold after a year
God of War - 5 million sold after a month