• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Who would've thought Niche-Man would sell that many copies? Seriously speaking that's exceeding expectations though, selling so goddamn lot in such a short time.

Kodera: "This year, we will bring more enhanced experiences to our fans along with a highly anticipated lineup of games that are only possible on PS4."

At least one of the big boys coming?

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Looking at the software data, it seems there is a very solid chance of reaching the 1B mark. Wonder how many consoles/handhels managed that? I'm guessing PS2, Wii, DS and the Gameboy line?

Oct 27, 2017
Well, Kinect sold half of that, and it was a shitty gimmick. Mostly because tracking latency is an order of magnitude too high.

PSVR is actually not a shitty gimmick. Its tracking latency is fantastic and VR is the future and whatnot.

In a just world, PSVR should have sold twice as much as Kinect. It's only in hindsight that we can see what a pipe dream that was :)
Hmm yeah but Kinect was bundled in at launch and way cheaper then PSVR

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the software data, it seems there is a very solid chance of reaching the 1B mark. Wonder how many consoles/handhels managed that? I'm guessing PS2, Wii, DS and the Gameboy line?

Retail? Only PS2 (1.512 billion). With digital probably DS (948 million retail sw ), Wii (920 million retail sw), PS3 and X360. GB ''only'' shipped 501 million units of sw. Even if you add GBA (377 million) you don't get a billion. PS1 also got close to billion (962 million). If PS4 manages to sell about same amount of sw this year as last year the sell trough will be over 1.1 billion by end of 2019.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool shit, I remember when analysts were predicting mobile was the future and home consoles were on their way out at the beginning of this gen.

Instead all 3 companies are doing amazing right now and the PS4 in particular is on track to be the second best selling home console of all time.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Lol tweeted on new year's day. Yeah that's a number out of his ass, who is he anyway? It's not hard to predict PS4 would be at 90M if you've been following its sales trajectory, Sony's forecasts and them announcing sales milestones at CES for it, if they hadn't crossed 90M then that meant their worst performance in years. All these factors this random twitter user knew, but he never had actual concrete numbers. I could've told you it would hit 90M last year, and you would declare me the Oracle of Era

He's given numbers before too, this isn't the first time. And he provided these just a couple days before Sony officially announced it.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Lucky Sony, this success is only due to MS & Ninty messing up. Now Nintendo are back with Switch & MS have the best value proposition with Gamepass, the age of Sony is over (again).

/s

Apr 9, 2018
The only exclusive that can beat Spiderman is TLOU 2. It's the mother of all exclusives this gen. If it's received critically similarly to the first, it could do 15 million.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You think it'll sell 30 million more units after PS5 launches?

PS2 was unique because people were still buying it for its DVD player capabilities, and because FIFA was being made for it for like 10 years afterwards.

But PS3 sales basically hit a brick wall when PS4 launched.
PS4 (blue) vs PS2 (white) per month:
unknown.png

PS4 sales are on fire.
2019 and 2020 are going to be packed with great games for PS4, just look at the announced games.
This 2 things basically means Sony doesn't need to drop price to $199 because sales don't drop enough, they can wait until PS5 launch if they want.
PS5 is very likely going to be BC, which means many post PS5 launch indie or medium sized games will be released as PS4 games to take advange of the 120M+ PS4s in the market while also being sold in PS5.
Games like FIFA or Just Dance will be there for years as they did in previous gens.
It was too difficult to reduce the cost of the PS3 alien hardware so they couldn't release super cheap version in its later years. It's way easier to reduce cost of PC-like PS4 hardware.
Price drop until $199 or beyond opens the gate to the family market (where games like Dreams work).
Price drop until $199 or beyond opens the gate to developing countries where PS4 is still too expensive.
PS home consoles keep selling during 10+ years
PS4 has Knack
PS4 has Knack 2
PS4 is on track to be the best selling home console during its 6th year and look how long is the PS2 tail.

HVxLPwF.png

You think that remake is coming out on PS4?
Sure, KHIII in 2019 and FFVIIR (Episode 1) in 2020.

So wait, if they didnt state the ps4 was the best sold console on 2018 does that mean it wasn't? That seems like something they would say if it happenend right? I believe switch outsold ps4 in USA and Japan 2018, and only europe hasnt been confirmed yet. I wonder if switch managed to be best sold console in 2018.
They may have a pretty accurate estimate but it's too soon for Sony to have Switch and XBO 2018 numbers. Obviously internal numbers are way easier and faster to get.

Last edited:

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Retail? Only PS2 (1.512 billion). With digital probably DS (948 million retail sw ), Wii (920 million retail sw), PS3 and X360. GB ''only'' shipped 501 million units of sw. Even if you add GBA (377 million) you don't get a billion. PS1 also got close to billion (962 million). If PS4 manages to sell about same amount of sw this year as last year the sell trough will be over 1.1 billion by end of 2019.
Huh.
Thanks for the info! Honestly thought the GB numbers would be higher.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Well done Sony, though I wish it translated to greater variety and risk taking in AAA development like we had in the PS2 days.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
What else has sold 9 million in 3 months?

We kinda lack the numbers for this though : GoW might have done it, but we haven't had any numbers since its first month. I don't think Halo did it. I can't think of anything else right now. Some Nintendo game definitely did it though (Pokémon, Smash, maybe some other)

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Hmm yeah but Kinect was bundled in at launch and way cheaper then PSVR
exactly. way, way cheaper.

Does this mean VR would be better off if Sony re-released current PSVR for $150? No upgrade in panel whatsoever. The source material will come cleaner and upscaled like for the ps4pro but slightly better, but that's it.

Would this be better than another $400 PSVR, with shiny 6K combined rez, 140 FOV and some killer positional sound?

You tell me. $400 vs $150.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
You don't reach 35 million by being "shitty" that's just pure delusion.

It sold 8 Million units in it's first 60 days, and was considerably cheaper than PSVR (and was also aggressively bundled with Xbox units). I'm also fairly sure that "35 Million" number includes both XBO units (which were bundled) and the Windows Units as well.

Not to hamstring your argument, but units sold is largely irrelevant when you're looking at the big picture. It was a pretty shitty input device, but it was also very novel and interesting technology that had a ton of buzz around it because "using your body as a controller" was pretty interesting to a lot of people. It also helps that it sold at $150 independently (as opposed to $400 launch for PSVR) along with a $300 system bundle with Kinect.