• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, the Software sales overall are down by 5 million this season
Seems kind of inevitable with the big games trying to last longer with continual engagement, but /shrug. Still great numbers. Ridiculous hardware especially for five years in :/

I dunno what they can expect next year. Switch will have a super strong release lineup, and PS4 is reaching saturation. A price cut will spike them like crazy though.

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
giphy.gif

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
It would be incredible if they managed to sell another 30 million with the PS5 on the horizon and likely BC.

What? They just sold 18M last year and they still have price cut in reserve to keep sales steady along with a strong exclusive pipeline (TLOU 2, Ghosts, Death Stranding). Sony also tends to sell their console further in next gen life cycle than MS/Nintendo. They'll hit 120M for sure.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I'd say 100 million is a lock now almost regardless of when the PS5 launches.
Since I don't think they will stop selling the PS4 when the PS5 launches it could probably reach 120m when all is said and done.

100M will happen during this year. No matter if the PS5 is released this year or not. 120M at the very least.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why give the number of PS4s sold up to Dec 31 but then give Spiderman's only until Nov 25? I'm willing to bet Spiderman sold another million in those additional 36 days.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Are the caps really necessary? lmao

anyway, I guess it's over PS3 LTD finally? At least shipped, no?

Edit. 9m units for Spiderman, damn. That's good.
We don't know how much the PS3 eventually sold but it's safe to say that yes, it's passed the PS3. And this is sell through, not shipments. Shipments are probably ~94m.

Is this IG's most successful game ever?
With ease. Their previous most successful game was Ratchet & Clank 2016.

Anyway, it's no wonder they didn't even bother offering deals in December in the US because these are really impressive sales for its 5th year.

And crazy Spider-Man sales, it'll be well above 10m by now and probably 11m too. I always knew it'd do well but I didn't think it'd blow up this massively, I thought they'd have to wait for a sequel to pull this off.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Cetainly puts the looming December NPD data in perspective, which is nice. Playstation is a lot more than whatever's happening in the US for any given month.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of y'all are really intent on running that niche gag into the ground huh

Anyhow, great numbers.
Right? One uninformed guy with an unfortunate opinion said it was niche and you guys can't get over it. It wasn't like you're proving some big shot from a AAA publisher who said single player games without micro transactions can't be sustainable or something. It was literally one random poster on Era.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
I'm still waiting for Insomniac to make the GOTY version of Spider-Man to buy it. 9 million is much more than I thought it'd sell.

Oct 26, 2017
Right? One uninformed guy with an unfortunate opinion said it was niche and you guys can't get over it. It wasn't like you're proving some big shot from a AAA publisher who said single player games without micro transactions can't be sustainable or something. It was literally one random poster on Era.
People like to be petty over pointless stuff on the Internet all the time but, yeah, I'm surprised so many people actually still harp on about that :P

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Decent. I bought one for cheap. Spiderman was truly mediocre so I sold it right quick. They got a sale from me though, assuming bundled software counts

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much money Sony makes off of every PS4 console sale. Unlike at launch I'm assuming the days of losing money on each box or just breaking even are long gone and now they're actually profiting right?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
What? They just sold 18M last year and they still have price cut in reserve to keep sales steady along with a strong exclusive pipeline (TLOU 2, Ghosts, Death Stranding). Sony also tends to sell their console further in next gen life cycle than MS/Nintendo. They'll hit 120M for sure.

Also consider that one of the things that ended the lifespans of the PS2 is that after a certain point it's almost all used software being sold along with those systems, which sony doesn't really make much profit from, if at all. The PS4 has a much more robust digital store, along with PSN subscriptions- so Sony has an incentive to keep producing those even when used game sales become the majority of physical game sales.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More happy for the Spiderman sales than anything else, insomniac deserves everything good going their way.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It's a freaking meme! It says more about the people getting annoyed by it than the people saying it. You ever heard about the green waves represent noises, shot themselves in the foot, Japanese culture and other memes people from GAF who migrated to Era keep using? Yeah, because those too are memes.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody know how many PS2 were sold in the same lifespan?

I found that at the end of 2005 fiscal year, PS2 has 87 million sold. Thats really impressive for PS4.