• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
That poster is probably from New Zealand

Way to dig deep and pull out that nugget from the past...

PS4 is still selling gangbusters. Software sales are incredible. PSVR is getting its second wind with bundles and a strong schedule of critically praised releases.

Looking forward to what comes next for Playstation.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
because it was cross gen game
There's nothing to stop TLOU2 from getting a remaster on the PS5.
PlayStation 5 will have BC, so every PlayStation 4 game can be considered as cross-gen.
PS5 will be the first console generation for Sony where digital sales of games belonging to the previous console are boosted by BC, and there won't need to be a remaster when the game can just be sold on PS5 via BC, and potentially upgraded at a system-level or via dedicated patches. With a game like The Last of Us Part II, it will just keep selling with or without a remaster - as long as it's accessible to buyers. It's like how those PSone classics that are sold on PSN are some of the most successful of any game on there, they just keep selling.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
How does 9M+ in 2.5 months compare to other huge games on PS4? Is that as high as BLOP4 just the PS4 version?

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Unrelated to the actual accomplishment, I've seen a metric ton more people make a Nicheman reference than the actual original source of spiderman being niche (one person). At this point I have to assume some of you don't know what the word niche actually means, and think it's a nice nickname for spoodermeng.

I know exactly what it means...and I was there when the member said that. But like puddles, its a funny mix of words just to make of fun of the whole situation(you remember the puddle discussion?). Nowadays instead of just trying to wonder why the heck that person came with that conclusion or even bring that person, I think it was just better to adopt that name for comical reasons. Like a meme.

But if its that annoying I can change to Puddle-man. Both are funny names.

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
At least the puddle thing was some sort of weird backlash adopted by a lot of people to justify the mock. This was like a single person that later rectified their view of it.

Understand why I said to not bring say the person? I rather prefer forget that member or the reasoning behind the commentary(which btw was answered later saying that he/she would keep what was said) and embrace the memes.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
PS3 went on to sell 20 million or so more from this point on in its lifespan.

If PS4 does the same it will be well into the 110 millions!

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Wow at spiderman holy shit. PS4 really is one of the greatest consoles of all time.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Next stop, PS1.

Yeah, and this number has grown. I think by now it's safe to assume it's mostly from PS4. Yeah, multiple users on the same console is part of it. I have 5 including me in our home. Some ppl that don't have a PS4 makes an account to play on a friends console. But these are not the norm.

I think $199 is the new $99.

Alot of it was most writers looking at what was happening with the Wii U and just ignoring how PS3, 360 IIRC saw upticks in sales once the Wii started its sales decline, or just continued to sale, not sure which is more accurate. You can't look at one company and declare the entire industry in trouble. Just that one company was in trouble.

Yeah, those wanting to see $99 might want to expect $199.

I don't think we'll get XBO sales until the middle of next gen, if ever.

Exactly. Yeah, companies messing up can effect the competition. But the competition also has to not mess up, execute better.

Lol, pretty much.

Exactly, just like design goals this gen are the reason why things happened with 1080p, mid gen refreshes being the specs they are.

Can't put everything on just messing up. MS had a vision, goal. Sony had a vision, goal. One just didn't work out, and one did.
Exactly. But its funny how they were gearing up for what they saw was the inevitable.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It outsold the PS3.

100 million might be possible but I doubt it
It still has Kingdom Hearts 3, Days Gone, Devil May Cry 5, Granblue Fantasy, Resident Evil 2, The Last of Us pt. 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, The Division 2, Anthem, and Project Awakening. These titles will all move a significant amount of software and the hardware sales should swell periodically because of that. PS4 sales may fall this year because there isn't a marquee title like Horizon, GoW or Spiderman known to be releasing exclusively on PS4 in 2019 thus far but if they dropped the price to $199 permanently and couple that with holiday deals/bundles, it may even perform better than previously thought and prior years.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
It outsold the PS3.

100 million might be possible but I doubt it
giphy.gif

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Wow at spiderman holy shit. PS4 really is one of the greatest consoles of all time.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
PS3 games almost all required some form of install by the time the super slim launched in 2013- 7 full years after the OG ps3 launched in 2006. Every single game on that system was at least 720p with most flagship games supporting 1080p.
This is all so wrong.

You're confusing the output signal with rendering resolution. Many, many PS3 games were sub-720p. All CODs, Red Dead, GTA.
And outside of some indies almost none were native 1080p, even the big notable ones like Wipeout HD was dynamic resolution.

And almost no PS3 games required installs. Some have patches, but 99% of disc games play off the disc.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
PS4 sales are on fire.
2019 and 2020 are going to be packed with great games for PS4, just look at the announced games.
This 2 things basically means Sony doesn't need to drop price to $199 because sales don't drop enough, they can wait until PS5 launch if they want.
PS5 is very likely going to be BC, which means many post PS5 launch indie or medium sized games will be released as PS4 games to take advange of the 120M+ PS4s in the market while also being sold in PS5.
Games like FIFA or Just Dance will be there for years as they did in previous gens.
It was too difficult to reduce the cost of the PS3 alien hardware so they couldn't release super cheap version in its later years. It's way easier to reduce cost of PC-like PS4 hardware.
Price drop until $199 or beyond opens the gate to the family market (where games like Dreams work).
Price drop until $199 or beyond opens the gate to developing countries where PS4 is still too expensive.
PS home consoles keep selling during 10+ years
PS4 has Knack
PS4 has Knack 2
PS4 is on track to be the best selling home console during its 6th year and look how long is the PS2 tail.

PS2 continued to sell well for the entirety of the PS3's lifespan.

PS4 is not going to do that. Just like PS3, PS4 will probably barely sell another 5-10 million after PS5 launches.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Looking at the software data, it seems there is a very solid chance of reaching the 1B mark. Wonder how many consoles/handhels managed that? I'm guessing PS2, Wii, DS and the Gameboy line?
Only PS2.

But it's not really comparable, as digital has changed the landscape. The software sales now include digital games bought for $1 on a sale etc. However on the other hand, revenue can still be up even with that, due to subscriptions and DLC, so the per game average price may still be high on average.

PS4 is not going to do that. Just like PS3, PS4 will probably barely sell another 5-10 million after PS5 launches.
We don't have the worldwide figures because Sony obfuscated them to hide poor PS3 sales, but I believe at least in the US the PS2 managed to sell basically as much post-2006 as the PS3 did until at least 2011.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017

There were limitations on how low they could get the price of a PS3. With PS4, full emulation on 7nm AMD products and beyond should be trivial, along with much lowers barriers to cross platform development.

It won't have the legs of the PS2, but will easily continue to sell for years to come.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017

Why not? A $200 (or less) box with $20-$30 games versus a $400 box with $60 games. Not everyone is going to move on in the first two or three years of the PS5. There are tons of people left to purchase the system in developed and emerging markets. This weird idea that it is just going to get dropped when the new hotness comes out is pretty narrow. Sony has everything to gain by pushing both systems, the PS3 carried a lot of baggage. The reason I always see is because of the PS3...in comparison the business as a whole is different. Not the same level of investment, not the same level of revenue, not the same amount of profit, marketshare, or perception among consumers. The PS4 is the default system this generation by far. I don't think it is that wild of a notion that the systems keeps selling...PS5 will be limited by price and production quantity for a little while.

Last edited:

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
How does 9M+ in 2.5 months compare to other huge games on PS4? Is that as high as BLOP4 just the PS4 version?
Red Dead Redemption II has had 17M units shipped in 12 days. We don't know the split between PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, but in UK it was 68/32 in first week. If the same percentage was true worldwide, Red Dead Redemption II would have shipped 11.5M units in 12 days on PlayStation 4 alone.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Why not? A $200 (or less) box with $20-$30 games versus a $400 box with $60 games. Not everyone is going to move on in the first two or three years of the PS5. There are tons of people left to purchase the system in developed and emerging markets. This weird idea that it is just going to get dropped when the new hotness comes out is pretty narrow. Sony has everything to gain by pushing both systems, the PS3 carried a lot of baggage. The PS4 is the default system this generation by far. I don't think it is that wild of a notion that the systems keeps selling...PS5 will be limited by price and production quantity for a little while.
Once Sony got the PS2 EE and GS onto a single die, they could produce the PS2 console for just a few dollars. Especially once they got the power usage right down. It was very small so shipped in a small, light box with a cheap wired controller and no storage, and also played DVDs. And it had a late gen casual audience with Guitar Hero, Singstar and Buzz (the Wii did not originate the casual audience, the PS2 did). It was the perfect kids room device. Within a year PS3 had also removed PS2 playback entirely so if you wanted to play God of War 2 you had to buy a PS2. PS4 'slim' is still by comparison a large x86 PC in a box, with a $60 wireless controller, and requires large internal storage to even function. It's not a pick up and play, and that entire casual audience is now on phones or maybe some on Switch to some extent.

On top of this, one of the reasons PS2 kept selling (1/3 of its total AFTER PS3 was out) was due to the PS3 being such a massive failure out of the gate. It took the PS3 something like five years to outsell only the PS2 consoles sold after the PS3 launch!

Basically if the comparison is being made to PS2, for PS4 to keep selling, PS5 needs to launch for $700 and bomb for 3-4 years, PS4 needs to be $150, very small and quiet, and become a casual game paradise with no game installs. Anything can happen, maybe some casual breakout hit comes to PS4 and PS5 has no backward compatibility so people would need a PS4 to play Last of Us 2.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Red Dead Redemption II has had 17M units shipped in 12 days. We don't know the split between PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, but in UK it was 68/32 in first week. If the same percentage was true worldwide, Red Dead Redemption II would have shipped 11.5M units in 12 days on PlayStation 4 alone.
Yeah I didn't think it would be close to Red Dead but I could see it being close to BLOPS4 and definitely above AC Odyssey PS4.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017

RDR2 sold great but nowhere near those shipped numbers judging by numbers from europe. Cant remember npd numbers.
Also rdr2 was already on sale in europe retail stores and got pricecut. I got it for 35 pounds from uk few weeks ago.

Spiderman numbers re easily comparable to cod on ps4. Cod sells about 20M (ps+xbox lifetime)

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
Once Sony got the PS2 EE and GS onto a single die, they could produce the PS2 console for just a few dollars. Especially once they got the power usage right down. It was very small so shipped in a small, light box with a cheap wired controller and no storage, and also played DVDs. And it had a late gen casual audience with Guitar Hero, Singstar and Buzz (the Wii did not originate the casual audience, the PS2 did). It was the perfect kids room device. Within a year PS3 had also removed PS2 playback entirely so if you wanted to play God of War 2 you had to buy a PS2. PS4 'slim' is still by comparison a large x86 PC in a box, with a $60 wireless controller, and requires large internal storage to even function. It's not a pick up and play, and that entire casual audience is now on phones or maybe some on Switch to some extent.

On top of this, one of the reasons PS2 kept selling (1/3 of its total AFTER PS3 was out) was due to the PS3 being such a massive failure out of the gate. It took the PS3 something like five years to outsell only the PS2 consoles sold after the PS3 launch!

Basically if the comparison is being made to PS2, for PS4 to keep selling, PS5 needs to launch for $700 and bomb for 3-4 years, PS4 needs to be $150, very small and quiet, and become a casual game paradise with no game installs. Anything can happen, maybe some casual breakout hit comes to PS4 and PS5 has no backward compatibility so people would need a PS4 to play Last of Us 2.

I get what you're trying to say...but what evidence do we have that the PS4 has reached or will soon reach it's saturation point with a particular audience when it hasn't hit the $200 price point yet. They may or may not be able to get it below that price, but we're almost at 100 million with the system being at least $300+ for the most part. So it is only going to sell 20 maybe 30 million more globally at $100 less? It may not have those casual blockbusters that open it up to new audiences, but it has a huge library of games currently to sell and third party support that will still be supplying some of the biggest multiplatform games (fifa for example) which are big with casual audiences, alongside their next-gen counter parts.

I think there is a price conscious market that still is waiting for the right time to get on board. I think last time, they may have been split between the 360 and PS3, and now most of them are on PS4 or are looking to be on PS4. Saying the PS2 kept selling because the PS3 was a failure out the gate doesn't make much sense because you're suggesting people bought the PS2 instead. I think more people bought 360's and Wii's because the PS3 was a failure. I don't think the person that bought a PS2 was ever in the market for a PS3 to begin with, the price range is too wide. I think there is a market out there that most people aren't considering when they judge these things, and it is bigger than they realize. The PS4 has more in common with the PS2 than the PS3 ( a system that it has already surpassed or is just about to), so I don't get why people keep using the PS3 as the barometer for how far the PS4 can go. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Yeah I didn't think it would be close to Red Dead but I could see it being close to BLOPS4 and definitely above AC Odyssey PS4.
Yes, it's above Assassin's Creed Odyssey. The best selling Assassin's Creed (Assassin's Creed III) did something like 12M between PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 at the end of its first fiscal year (March 2013).

Black Ops 4... I don't know. In Japan (the only territory where we have sales numbers for the PlayStation 4 version of Black Ops 4), it's above Spider-Man by a huge margin (600k VS 400k). But it isn't available on Xbox One in Japan and PC isn't a big market there. So worldwide, it's probably close.

RDR2 sold great but nowhere near those shipped numbers judging by numbers from europe. Cant remember npd numbers.
Also rdr2 was already on sale in europe retail stores and got pricecut. I got it for 35 pounds from uk few weeks ago.
And in Switzerland, Spider-Man was available for 30 CHF (24£) during Black Friday.

But yes, shipped =/= sold, this is why I wrote it in bold.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
PS4 is gonna match or top PS2 sales numbers, calling it now. I don't quite have a complete idea on how they'd manage it, but I just wanna be able to say I predicted it at a time when it seemed unlikely :)

Maybe PS4 can still see life after the PS5 comes out as a cheap gateway to whatever PSNow will eventually become, who knows.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I get what you're trying to say...but what evidence do we have that the PS4 has reached or will soon reach it's saturation point with a particular audience when it hasn't hit the $200 price point yet. They may or may not be able to get it below that price, but we're almost at 100 million with the system being at least $300+ for the most part. So it is only going to sell 20 maybe 30 million more globally at $100 less? It may not have those casual blockbusters that open it up to new audiences, but it has a huge library of games currently to sell and third party support that will still be supplying some of the biggest multiplatform games (fifa for example) which are big with casual audiences, alongside their next-gen counter parts.

I think there is a price conscious market that still is waiting for the right time to get on board. I think last time, they may have been split between the 360 and PS3, and now most of them are on PS4 or are looking to be on PS4. Saying the PS2 kept selling because the PS3 was a failure out the gate doesn't make much sense because you're suggesting people bought the PS2 instead. I think more people bought 360's and Wii's because the PS3 was a failure. I don't think the person that bought a PS2 was ever in the market for a PS3 to begin with, the price range is too wide. I think there is a market out there that most people aren't considering when they judge these things, and it is bigger than they realize. The PS4 has more in common with the PS2 than the PS3 ( a system that it has already surpassed or is just about to), so I don't get why people keep using the PS3 as the barometer for how far the PS4 can go. Just my two cents.
What you've written doesn't match what happened. " Saying the PS2 kept selling because the PS3 was a failure out the gate doesn't make much sense because you're suggesting people bought the PS2 instead. I think more people bought 360's and Wii's because the PS3 was a failure."

Wii yes, 360 no. Both PS3 and 360 took around five years to catch up with just PS2s sold after they launched! PS2 sold something like 60 million consoles AFTER the 360 was already out!
Wii was basically sold out and near unobtainable for 2-3 years, PS3 and 360 were too expensive and needed a new TV to be played. So a lot of people went 'guess I'll get a PS2 for a couple of years'.

While PS4 has outsold PS3, this current generation has been a big decline from the last too, the last gen 500 million consoles were sold (280 million home consoles), this gen ~260 million (~180 million home consoles, guessing on Xbone numbers) even if including both Wii U and Switch and that includes the mid-gen refreshes Pro/X which are surely almost entirely by upgraders rather than new consumers. It's just that the PS4 was pretty much the only viable option for most people (outside of Nintendo/MS Superfans) for 3-4 years, so it essentially became almost the entire market.

The expensive and hig definition 360 and especially PS3 left a gulf in a rapidly growing market that PS2 and to a larger extent Wii and DS massively capitalised on for 3-5 years. It was also during a recession so budget consciousness was huge. This time around, PS5 and Xbone 4 will not do that, and it's in a contracted market and the economy is in better shape.

PS4 is gonna match or top PS2 sales numbers, calling it now. I don't quite have a complete idea on how they'd manage it, but I just wanna be able to say I predicted it at a time when it seemed unlikely :)
Ha yep great strategy.

I remember saying Wii U was crap and would therefore 'only' sell as little as 25 million, which I assumed was the minimum based on the Wii brand alone. It was one of the most negative predictions outside of pure trolling. If only I'd gone harder on the prediction I could have looked like a genius lol.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017

What you've written doesn't match what happened. " Saying the PS2 kept selling because the PS3 was a failure out the gate doesn't make much sense because you're suggesting people bought the PS2 instead. I think more people bought 360's and Wii's because the PS3 was a failure."

Wii yes, 360 no. Both PS3 and 360 took around five years to catch up with just PS2s sold after they launched! PS2 sold something like 60 million consoles AFTER the 360 was already out!
Wii was basically sold out and near unobtainable for 2-3 years, PS3 and 360 were too expensive and needed a new TV to be played. So a lot of people went 'guess I'll get a PS2 for a couple of years'.

While PS4 has outsold PS3, this current generation has been a big decline from the last too, the last gen 500 million consoles were sold (280 million home consoles), this gen ~260 million (~180 million home consoles, guessing on Xbone numbers) even if including both Wii U and Switch and that includes the mid-gen refreshes Pro/X which are surely almost entirely by upgraders rather than new consumers. It's just that the PS4 was pretty much the only viable option for most people (outside of Nintendo/MS Superfans) for 3-4 years, so it essentially became almost the entire market.

The expensive and hig definition 360 and especially PS3 left a gulf in a rapidly growing market that PS2 and to a larger extent Wii and DS massively capitalised on for 3-5 years. It was also during a recession so budget consciousness was huge. This time around, PS5 and Xbone 4 will not do that, and it's in a contracted market and the economy is in better shape.
But that is what happened, budget and "casuals" bought the PS2 in droves, while expensive new HD consoles were releasing on the market. The Wii was an expansion of this audience. You said the PS3 stalled out the gate and lost sales to the PS2 as a result? They didn't...they lost sales to the more comparable and attractive 360 at the time, while the PS2 was catering to a budget, price conscious audience. You're the saying that the same people who bought a $150 (or so) PS2....would've bought a $500-$600 PS3....these are completely different markets. Would more people have upgraded to a PS3 sooner if it was cheaper and a more attractive product, sure. But you still would've had people buying cheap PS2's, that would never spend $400 on a game console. You keep lumping everything together. As if everyone jumps on board as soon as the next product arrives...this is never the case. Which is why consoles sales generally rise for a period once consoles hit a certain price point. A high price is a barrier to entry for a lot of people. As you lower the barrier, your market opportunity grows.

You're trying to define this audience but I don't feel like you really understand who they are, where they are, and how they buy. The system is still $300...there is still a lot of growth left. This stands to reason more so, than the system just dropping dead basically because it's more expensive successor released. You're capping the potential of one system that has been a roaring success, based on the performance of it's predecessor which was FAR less successful.

Last edited:

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
But that is what happened, budget and "casuals" bought the PS2 in droves, while expensive new HD consoles were releasing on the market. The Wii was an expansion of this audience. You said the PS3 stalled out the gate and lost sales to the PS2 as a result? They didn't...they lost sales to the more comparable and attractive 360 at the time, while the PS2 was catering to a budget, price conscious audience. You're the saying that the same people who bought a $150 (or so) PS2....would've bought a $500-$600 PS3....these are completely different markets. Would more people have upgraded to a PS3 sooner if it was cheaper and a more attractive product, sure. But you still would've had people buying cheap PS2's, that would never spend $400 on a game console. You keep lumping everything together. As if everyone jumps on board as soon as the next product arrives...this is never the case. Which is why consoles sales generally rise for a period once consoles hit a certain price point. A high price is a barrier to entry for a lot of people. As you lower the barrier, your market opportunity grows.

You're trying to define this audience but I don't feel like you really understand who they are, where they are, and how they buy. The system is still $300...there is still a lot of growth left. This stands to reason more so, than the system just dropping dead basically because it's more expensive successor released. You're capping the potential of one system that has been a roaring success, based on the performance of it's predecessor which was FAR less successful.
You're evidently not reading what I have written. And have tried to put words in my mouth multiple times here. I haven't 'defined' any audience. I didn't say anything about 'the same people who bought' (it's over ten years later, they are not the same people). I didn't 'lump anything together'. I have not made a prediction about what the PS4 would sell. I even said 'maybe it will due to other reasons' ('Anything can happen').

All I have done is just tear apart PS2 comparisons. The economy is diferrent, the generational transition will be different, the market is smaller, not growing as fast and is vastly different, and PS5/Xbox4/Switch will likely be vastly diferrent to the PS3/360/Wii/DS era. And if you didn't notice, PS4 is declining YoY already.

And while PS4's RRP is US$300 but that's a borderline fictitious price to quote at this point, with $199 bundles with the biggest games having happened multiple times. It was $199 in 2017! And the USA is not the world, it's much cheaper in other places in the world, in Australia it's been as low as AU$250, IIRC the lowest the PS2 ever got was $200, with inflation taken into account PS4 is as cheap as PS2 ever was.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think it will do that poorly. It should be between PS2 and PS3. Not as good as the former but not as bad as the latter. Of course, it depends on pricing and SKUs and things like that.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Only PS2.

But it's not really comparable, as digital has changed the landscape. The software sales now include digital games bought for $1 on a sale etc. However on the other hand, revenue can still be up even with that, due to subscriptions and DLC, so the per game average price may still be high on average.

We don't have the worldwide figures because Sony obfuscated them to hide poor PS3 sales, but I believe at least in the US the PS2 managed to sell basically as much post-2006 as the PS3 did until at least 2011.

On the other hand a lot of people play F2P games (like Fortnite, Warframe etc) or GAAS games for years (like Siege) which didn't exist during PS2 times and that lead to lower total sw sales.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Sony had any idea before this gen began that their console was going to perform this well, but more importantly, if their games were going to be these selling machines.

Last edited: