• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Sony had any idea before this gen began that their console was going to perform this well, but more importantly, if their games were going to be this selling machines.

Probably not, most of the management that was there at the start of the gen have left though. I think they where preparing a hard battle but didn't expect MS to role over like they did.

What they have done well through out the gen is keep a tight ship and focused on the games, everyone has been expecting them to mess up at some point but they have barely screwed up at all. There has been the odd controversies (BC, Fortnite login drama) but nothing to really damage the image like the PSN outage.

If they can keep that image and message the same for the PS5, it will be tough for their competition.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Probably not, most of the management that was there at the start of the gen have left though. I think they where preparing a hard battle but didn't expect MS to role over like they did.

What they have done well through out the gen is keep a tight ship and focused on the games, everyone has been expecting them to mess up at some point but they have barely screwed up at all. There has been the odd controversies (BC, Fortnite login drama) but nothing to really damage the image like the PSN outage.

If they can keep that image and message the same for the PS5, it will be tough for their competition.

Agree!

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
PS4 is gonna match or top PS2 sales numbers, calling it now. I don't quite have a complete idea on how they'd manage it, but I just wanna be able to say I predicted it at a time when it seemed unlikely :)

PS2 sold over 155 million consoles worldwide in its lifetime, so PS4 would have to sell more than 60 million additional consoles to reach PS2 level.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
PS2 sold over 155 million consoles worldwide in its lifetime, so PS4 would have to sell more than 60 million additional consoles to reach PS2 level.

Which wouldn't be a problem if it's lifespan is as long as PS2's. And that's not even necessary. PS4 sells 18.320.000 units per year average. PS2 went on for 13 years and sold 158.000.000. That's 12.153.846 average. So PS4 is outselling PS2 if you take the yearly average amount of units.

PS4 would need another 66.400.000 to match PS2 sales. With 18.320.000 they can achieve that within less than 4 years. To be precise, it would need 3,62 years to get to 158 million. I know this is very rough and one year isn't the other, but these are interesting numbers.

In other words, if PS2 would have sold as much as PS4 average yearly, it would've been sold 238.160.000. ;-)

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
This is all so wrong.

You're confusing the output signal with rendering resolution. Many, many PS3 games were sub-720p. All CODs, Red Dead, GTA.
And outside of some indies almost none were native 1080p, even the big notable ones like Wipeout HD was dynamic resolution.

And almost no PS3 games required installs. Some have patches, but 99% of disc games play off the disc.

I was going to ignore this, but just so we all understand who is full of crap and who isn't here, I went and pulled some PS3 games I have physical discs of from my shelf to QUOTE YOU the **required** hard drive space necessary to run the game. Let's begin:

Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: 1.5GB Required Hard Drive Space
Heavy Rain: 4GB Required Hard Drive Space
Ghostbusters The Video Game: "At Least" 4GB Required Hard Drive Space
Deus Ex: Human Revolution: 3GB Required Hard Drive Space
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West: 3.5GB Required Hard Drive Space
Conan: "At Least" 670MB
Fallout New Vegas: 5GB Required Hard Drive Space
Dragon Age II: 4GB Required Hard Drive Space
Dishonored: 5GB Required Hard Drive Space
Dead Rising 2: 3.95 GB Required Hard Drive Space
Assassin's Creed: Ezio Trilogy: **17.6GB** Required Hard Drive Space
Uncharted 3: 1GB Required Hard Drive Space
Dark Souls 2: 2.0 GB Required Hard Drive Space
Batman: Arkham City: 1.7 GB Required Hard Drive Space
Xmen Destiny: 4.9GB Required Hard Drive Space
Vanquish: 2.8 GB Required Hard Drive Space
Yakuza 3: 5GB Required Hard Drive Space
Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition: 7.1GB Required Hard Drive Space
Mass Effect 2: 5.3GB Required Hard Drive Space
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves: 1GB Required Hard Drive Space
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots: 4.6GB Required Hard Drive Space
Red Dead Redemption: 600MB Required Hard Drive Space
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: 7.5 GB Required Hard Drive Space
Far Cry 2: "at least" 3.5 GB Required Hard Drive Space
Batman: Arkham Asylum: "at least" 1.2 GB Required Hard Drive Space
Fallout 3: 5 GB Required Hard Drive Space
Heavenly Sword: 2.1 GB Required Hard Drive Space
Resident Evil 5: 5.0 GB Required Hard Drive Space
Silent Hill Downpour: 4.5 GB Required Hard Drive Space
El Shaddai Ascension of the Metatron: 4.5 GB Required Hard Drive Space

This is just from my personal collection, not a list I grabbed offline to own you. This is from the back of the retail box, not including huge ass patches that came later (looking at you, Dark Souls II).

I can provide screenshots of every single one. Are there games that require 50MB or less (likely for gamesaves?) yeah, sure. I have a few of these. Most of them are older and low budget, though for some reason the FFs don't seem to need much room. By 2013 the majority of the AAA or exclusive titles one might have come across were asking for more than 1GB of hard drive space, and many more than 5. In fact, MGS4 was NOTORIOUS for long ass installs in the middle of the game they covered up with Snake taking a smoke break. How you could ever play that one and claim at the same time no PS3 games required an install is bewildering.

You ABSOLUTELY COULD NOT run "99%" of PS3 games "off the disc" by 2013. I can't even run 99% of the games on my shelf. Perhaps you were confusing the PS3 with the 360.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which wouldn't be a problem if it's lifespan is as long as PS2's. And that's not even necessary. PS4 sells 18.320.000 units per year average. PS2 went on for 13 years and sold 158.000.000. That's 12.153.846 average. So PS4 is outselling PS2 if you take the yearly average amount of units.

PS4 would need another 66.400.000 to match PS2 sales. With 18.320.000 they can achieve that within less than 4 years. To be precise, it would need 3,62 years to get to 158 million. I know this is very rough and one year isn't the other, but these are interesting numbers.

In other words, if PS2 would have sold as much as PS4 average yearly, it would've been sold 238.160.000. ;-)

That's not how sales work

The PS4 is going to start slowing substantially (this year is down from last year by 2 million units for example)

It's not going to be selling 18+ million a year. It's going to do much less than that

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

The PS4 is going to start slowing substantially (this year is down from last year by 2 million units for example)

It's not going to be selling 18+ million a year. It's going to do much less than that

Do you think Sony would see a significant boost if they dropped the price to $199?
Also is there even a reason for them to do that?
Remembering the PS2 that launched at $299 and saw the $199 price two year later. Find it interesting the PS4 is selling so well at $299.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Still it's down by 2 million because Sony did not push deals for this year .
If anything it could have been flat if they wanted .
I expect things to slow down but i don't know about substantially if we talking WW even more so with a price drop .

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I was going to ignore this, but just so we all understand who is full of crap and who isn't here, I went and pulled some PS3 games I have physical discs of from my shelf to QUOTE YOU the **required** hard drive space necessary to run the game. Let's begin:

Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: 1.5GB Required Hard Drive Space
Heavy Rain: 4GB Required Hard Drive Space
Ghostbusters The Video Game: "At Least" 4GB Required Hard Drive Space
Deus Ex: Human Revolution: 3GB Required Hard Drive Space
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West: 3.5GB Required Hard Drive Space
Conan: "At Least" 670MB
Fallout New Vegas: 5GB Required Hard Drive Space
Dragon Age II: 4GB Required Hard Drive Space
Dishonored: 5GB Required Hard Drive Space
Dead Rising 2: 3.95 GB Required Hard Drive Space
Assassin's Creed: Ezio Trilogy: **17.6GB** Required Hard Drive Space
Uncharted 3: 1GB Required Hard Drive Space
Dark Souls 2: 2.0 GB Required Hard Drive Space
Batman: Arkham City: 1.7 GB Required Hard Drive Space
Xmen Destiny: 4.9GB Required Hard Drive Space
Vanquish: 2.8 GB Required Hard Drive Space
Yakuza 3: 5GB Required Hard Drive Space
Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition: 7.1GB Required Hard Drive Space
Mass Effect 2: 5.3GB Required Hard Drive Space
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves: 1GB Required Hard Drive Space
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots: 4.6GB Required Hard Drive Space
Red Dead Redemption: 600MB Required Hard Drive Space
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: 7.5 GB Required Hard Drive Space
Far Cry 2: "at least" 3.5 GB Required Hard Drive Space
Batman: Arkham Asylum: "at least" 1.2 GB Required Hard Drive Space
Fallout 3: 5 GB Required Hard Drive Space
Heavenly Sword: 2.1 GB Required Hard Drive Space
Resident Evil 5: 5.0 GB Required Hard Drive Space
Silent Hill Downpour: 4.5 GB Required Hard Drive Space

This is just from my personal collection, not a list I grabbed offline to own you. This is from the back of the retail box, not including huge ass patches that came later (looking at you, Dark Souls II).

I can provide screenshots of every single one. Are there games that require 50MB or less (likely for gamesaves?) yeah, sure. I have a few of these. Most of them are older and low budget, though for some reason the FFs don't seem to need much room. By 2013 the majority of the AAA or exclusive titles one might have come across were asking for more than 1GB of hard drive space, and many more than 5. In fact, MGS4 was NOTORIOUS for long ass installs in the middle of the game they covered up with Snake taking a smoke break. How you could ever play that one and claim at the same time no PS3 games required an install is bewildering.

You ABSOLUTELY COULD NOT run "99%" of PS3 games "off the disc" by 2013. I can't even run 99% of the games on my shelf. Perhaps you were confusing the PS3 with the 360.

Yeah this is bang on the money

I still play PS3 games quite a lot and my HD is pretty much full, and I need to delete install files, some of them almost 20gb in size (looking at you, Destiny) before I can start most new games

GTAV on PS3 also needed at least 8gb free for an install before it would run

Some didn't need patches or installs, but most of them did

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017

*brofist*

PS4 sales are most-likely on the downward slope toward its end-of-life. I don't think it can sustain another 18 million year....but I do think that it may have long legs if there is an adequate price drop and Sony focuses on marketing it more to emerging markets once the PS5 is announced. I think it is pretty safe to assume that PS4 will easily surpass 100 million (and soon)....but it's a long shot to say it will get close to PS2 numbers. I guess it all depends on future pricing and what the PS5 brings.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think Sony would see a significant boost if they dropped the price to $199?
Remembering the PS2 that launched at $299 and saw the $199 price two year later. Find it interesting the PS4 is selling so well at $299.

I expect things to slow down but i don't know about substantially if we talking WW even more so with a price drop .

You guys also have to remember if they can keep it stocked, they sold out in the US at $199.

What's the point of dropping the price to $199 and selling out then losing out on sales because they cant keep the stock up.

Especially if they need to transfer their manufacturing lines to the PS5

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
PS4 should easily reach 120 million, the question should be how much it can climb after that.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

There already was a (temporary) price drop to $199- remember the spidey PS4 bundles? There were pictures of people with 3 to 4 grocery carts full of those trying to run out of the door with them as fast as they could. A $199 PS4 would have sold WAY more during the holidays than what we saw- but there's no reason for Sony to take that kind of loss for very long.

*brofist*

PS4 sales are most-likely on the downward slope toward its end-of-life. I don't think it can sustain another 18 million year....but I do think that it may have long legs if there is an adequate price drop and Sony focuses on marketing it more to emerging markets once the PS5 is announced. I think it is pretty safe to assume that PS4 will easily surpass 100 million (and soon)....but it's a long shot to say it will get close to PS2 numbers. I guess it all depends on future pricing and what the PS5 brings.

El Shaddai is just a mindblowingly gorgeous game. That thing is art, for real.

The PS4 obviously isn't going to sell 18 million a year for long, even with a price drop- but with a sufficiently long tail it doesn't really have to. Sony can keep selling them as long as it is profitable to do so, and the existence of a digital marketplace as well as PSN subscriptions means this is more viable to do than it was when they were making PS2s. By the end of that thing's lifespan any systems sold were just loading up on used games, which wasn't profitable for anyone but gamestop.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It saw big sales promotions in Eurooe this year and really only missed out on a price cut in December in the US. Yes that could have helped but it would still be down

People expecting PS4 to be flat or even up in the coming years need to really rethink things. We are rapidly approaching the end of the generation, a sales decline is normal and inevitable

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
You guys also have to remember if they can keep it stocked, they sold out in the US at $199.

What's the point of dropping the price to $199 and selling out then losing out on sales because they cant keep the stock up.

Especially if they need to transfer their manufacturing lines to the PS5

I don't expect them to drop to $199 was thinking $250.
$199 will be for BF , days of play etc etc but i don't think they will drop huge this year .
Then again what i think is a okay drop others might think it huge .

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

I know and I also almost literally said that in my post. I'm just playing with average sales at the end of the lifecylce.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know and I also almost literally said that in my post. I'm just playing with average sales at the end of the lifecylce.

I know but that's still very unrealistic

If PS4 can manage 16 million in 2019 I would consider that a success. It will drop lower than that the next year. Then lower again until its discontinued

Selling another 60+ million units is really unlikely, especially with PS5 1-2 years away

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
It saw big sales promotions in Eurooe this year and really only missed out on a price cut in December in the US. Yes that could have helped but it would still be down

People expecting PS4 to be flat or even up in the coming years need to really rethink things. We are rapidly approaching the end of the generation, a sales decline is normal and inevitable

I am not talking about just the holidays but for the whole year .
For eg last year days of play sale was not as good as the year before , then were pro shortages and hardly any deals on it at all .
Don't get me wrong i expect PS4 to be down just don't think it will be substantially .
I thinking it will be around 14 million this year but maybe that is what you call a big drop .

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not talking about just the holidays but for the whole year .
For eg last year days of play sale was not as good as the year before , then were pro shortages and hardly any deals on it at all .
Don't get me wrong i expect PS4 to be down just don't think it will be substantially .
I thinking it will be around 14 million this year but maybe that is what you call a big drop .

14 million would be a big drop yeah,

That would make it, its lowest selling year since 2014. I'm hoping they can keep the drop in the 15-16 million range

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
PS5 will be the first console generation for Sony where digital sales of games belonging to the previous console are boosted by BC, and there won't need to be a remaster when the game can just be sold on PS5 via BC, and potentially upgraded at a system-level or via dedicated patches. With a game like The Last of Us Part II, it will just keep selling with or without a remaster - as long as it's accessible to buyers. It's like how those PSone classics that are sold on PSN are some of the most successful of any game on there, they just keep selling.
Where are you getting this information? Boosted by BC? Huh? Automatically upgraded at a system level? LOL

All the Xbox 360 games being made BC compatible on Xbox One require a significant amount of work and you are just assuming with the PS5 BC titles will automatically look and run better? Sounds like wishful thinking.

I can't see Sony not selling updated PS4 games on the PS5 with better textures or additional features. Why would they want someone to buy TLoU2 or Uncharted 4 for $5-$10 when they could sell a new updated copy for $30 or $40?

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I know but that's still very unrealistic

If PS4 can manage 16 million in 2019 I would consider that a success. It will drop lower than that the next year. Then lower again until its discontinued

Selling another 60+ million units is really unlikely, especially with PS5 1-2 years away

They did 5.6 million during holidays 2018. If they somehow release TLoU2 Q4 2019 without revealing PS5 and Days Gone get's good reviews and the put out some nice bundles and/or a price cut(I know, if-if-if), I don't think it's completely impossible.

Where are you getting this information? Boosted by BC? Huh? Automatically upgraded at a system level? LOL

All the Xbox 360 games being made BC compatible on Xbox One require a significant amount of work and you are just assuming with the PS5 BC titles will automatically look and run better? Sounds like wishful thinking.

I can't see Sony not selling updated PS4 games on the PS5 with better textures or additional features. Why would they want someone to buy TLoU2 or Uncharted 4 for $5-$10 when they could sell a new updated copy for $30 or $40?

What's there to LOL? Microsoft is releasing updates and patches for 360 games, like you're saying. We can assume this will happen with PS5 too. Buy TLoU2 on PS4, play it on 5 with graphical optimizations. Naughty Dog might be optimizing TLoU2 for PS5 as we speak. I assume cross gen exclusives that actually get a PS5 release will have some kind of benefit on the new system to push PS5 sales. Why not?

And why would Sony sell TLoU2 and Uncharted 4 of $5-$10 when they can just sell them for $30 or $40 or more with the game just patching itself to the higher settings on PS5?

Last edited:

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
If PS5 games play on PS4 only at lower res and frame rate it could pass
I think this is possible, especially if a lot of games are cross gen with PS5. I could see Sony keeping the PS4 around for suuuuper cheap for a long time after the PS5 comes out- especially if they share the a big portion of their libraries. Most Indy games don't need the power of a PS5, so there's no use forcing people to upgrade just to be able to play them.

Sell the PS4 for $99, the PS4 Pro for $249 and the PS5 for $399.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018

Games are being built for higher end systems these days than consoles (PC), all the assets for 4K/60 are already there. It'll work exactly like the Pro does now, pop the disc into a PS5 and the game will just look and run better. No need for a "remaster" or anything. There probably will be a "plays better on PS5" tag on the box or something.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
If PS5 games play on PS4 only at lower res and frame rate it could pass

I don't think that's ever going to happen. I think what defines a new console generation is that the new console is required to play its games; at least historically, this has been true. I'm really hoping Sony will keep the architecture of the PS5 compatible with PS4 so that BC is a thing....but I wouldn't plan on any sort of "forward" compatibility allowing PS4 to play PS5 games.

Edit: But I never would have thought we'd get a mid-gen console refresh from Sony and MS either.....so who knows? Perhaps anything is possible now.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Games are being built for higher end systems these days than consoles (PC), all the assets for 4K/60 are already there. It'll work exactly like the Pro does now, pop the disc into a PS5 and the game will just look and run better. No need for a "remaster" or anything. There probably will be a "plays better on PS5" tag on the box or something.
PC games are, sure. But are PS4 games? I doubt it. Maybe the upcoming games (maybe), but I don't think already released games are. If so, why does Bloodborne perform worse on the Pro in boost mode? We will surely see remasters early in the PS5 life to help bolster the lineup.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK

They might do both, as in let people play PS4 versions with maybe some perks, and sell an ultra HD version that looks and runs better on PS5

That said, while I would hope the PS5 would be BC with the PS4, knowing Sony I won't believe it until I see it

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I don't think that's ever going to happen. I think what defines a new console generation is that the new console is required to play its games; at least historically, this has been true. I'm really hoping Sony will keep the architecture of the PS5 compatible with PS4 so that BC is a thing....but I wouldn't plan on any sort of "forward" compatibility allowing PS4 to play PS5 games.

Edit: But I never would have thought we'd get a mid-gen console refresh from Sony and MS either.....so who knows? Perhaps anything is possible now.

Also this would never work and is a stupid idea. Who knows what systems games will get when they're are fully developed with PS5 in mind. There's a high chance they don't even run properly at normal settings. Like Shadow of Mordor being canceled on PS3 because of the nemesis system. You don't want developers downgrading their games so they can run on old hardware.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Keep in mind that the architecture of the 360 and the XboxOne aren't similar at all. Of course it's going to take more work. One was PPC, the other X86. From what we know, the PS4 and 5 are both X86 systems with similar hardware. There should be VERY little work getting BC to work between the two systems.

But that aside, PS1 games had automatic texture smoothing and reduced loading on PS2.

PS2 games similarly had texture improvements when going to PS3.

It's nowhere in the same ballpark as the improvements you'd see in an actual remaster, but there would likely be enough of an improvement from running on better hardware that official remasters or "Cross gen" versions of games wouldn't really be necessary. Yeah they COULD sell a new remastered $30-40 copy, but they'd sell a lot less of these than they would original copies at $10- and the original copy requires 0 additional work or investment on Sony's part.

edit: besides "sales dollars" it's worth considering that allowing people to keep and play their existing libraries creates quite a bit of vendor lock in that wouldn't exist otherwise. You'll see a lot less people migrating from PS to Xbox and vice versa than you did last generation, since last gen neither system being natively BC meant you "lost" your entire library anyway.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018
As great as the PS4 is, I like having the PS2 as the top selling Playstation platform ever as it was imo one of the greatest consoles of all time in terms of games, hardware (early blu ray player), and even aesthetics (it was so beautiful). I don't think the PS4 will get close to 155 million. Perhaps 130 millions.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
PC games are, sure. But are PS4 games? I doubt it. Maybe the upcoming games (maybe), but I don't think already released games are. If so, why does Bloodborne perform worse on the Pro in boost mode? We will surely see remasters early in the PS5 life to help bolster the lineup.

Last time I checked Bloodborne runs smoother and more stable with boost mode on. There's still framepacing, but it's definitely smoother.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
PS4 will probably wind down in the 120-130M range. It would have made a lot more money than PS2, and as you can see, that's bottom line for Sony and why they don't drop the prices further during holidays and "stomp the competition" lol

Not about wining sales wars or even topping the user base of previous versions of your own platform. Make more money than the previous console, that's always the goal.

MS is so stupid rich, I seriously doubt they are planning next gen in a similar way at all. But both companies are probably not as focused on hardware sale as users here seem to be.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
14 million would be a big drop yeah,

That would make it, its lowest selling year since 2014. I'm hoping they can keep the drop in the 15-16 million range
14 M would still be a very good result. Higher than the best 360 FY last gen ( WII was already under 10 M / year at this point into the life cycle) for example.

image001dmduy.png

Last FY is the current forecast provided by Sony

Last edited:

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Are you never not full of shit?
From the PS4 Pro Thread
bloodbornez4s7w.png

Bloodborne has no official Pro support, but tests with Boost Mode showed a reduction of around 30% in framepacing issues.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017

I am not sure if PS5 has backwards compatibility, but something tells me remasters are still going to happen on next gen and it will start with RDR2!

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
PS4 will probably wind down in the 120-130M range. It would have made a lot more money than PS2

More so when you add the PS Plus subs

They must make up a huge percentage of overall profit

The last figures I saw were 34.2 million people with Plus, and at $59.99 each that's just over 2 billion dollars a year, so even if we say thats 500 million dollars off, that's still well over $1.5bn a year

And that's just for 2018, as long as Plus numbers stay where they are or go up, that's another 2 billion for 2019

Servers aren't cheap

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sony ain't dropping price to $199. If there's a drop this year, it will be to $249 at the least.