1. KrigareN-

KrigareN-
    Member OP

I thought this warranted its own thread.

Bonus: DS4 is now the best selling gamepad (in dollar sales) EVER!

Man, I remember the tone and the doom and gloom around the viability of dedicated console gaming before the PS4 came out. Ever since its launch, however, that narrative has quickly lost its ground.

With the PS4's present record setting success, when do you think is the ideal time for Sony to reveal and launch the PS5? Should they savor this moment or ride on it to next gen? Will the potential harm done to PS4's current tragectory be appreciable?

----
    Edit: Forgot to add "console hardware" in the title.

2. nib95

nib95

That God of War effect.

3. Aokiji

Aokiji

Ok this is insane. In year 5!

4. rocket

rocket

System sellers sell systems.

5. darkwing

darkwing

Kratos is pleased

6. Phantom Thief

Phantom Thief

Exclusives matter

7. TheZynster

TheZynster

Oh my......that’s insane, and the last holder for hardware was the wii, this console proves amazingly good exclusives sell systems

8. DeadlyVirus

DeadlyVirus

And the CEO says it’s in the EOL cycle. Lmao

9. darkwing

darkwing

and Spiderman is still coming this year, insane

10. Musouka

Musouka

Can you add some actual hard numbers, OP? Percentages only tell part of the story.

11. Witness

Witness

Do we know what the Wii sales record was?

12. Of course. You want to retire in glory, to raucous applause, not wither away unlamented, or, worse, unnoticed, like the poor Wii did in 2011.

13. And it is 5 years old.

14. Ebtesam

Ebtesam

and should be for only one system

15. v_iHuGi

v_iHuGi

Playstation 4 the GOAT console.

16. Pretty much, still out of stock on Amazon via Amazon.

17. KrigareN-

KrigareN-
    Member OP

I'm really interested to know what generated or even made the DS4 as the best selling gamepad of all time.

Surely this means individual controller skus, right?

Are packed in controllers breaking all of the sudden (experiencing this right now, lol) that customers are forced to buy a new one or what?

18. SecondNature

SecondNature

This is insane

Especially the controller being the most popupar of all time

Xbox 360 Gamepad has been the one most associated with gaming since it came out. Now theres going to be a whole gen of people raised and familiar with the dualshock 4, which is really funny since the classic dualshock was so hated last gen

19. Day God of War and Fortnite combo making PS4 sell like hot cakes. Amazing success for Sony.

20. danGlokta

danGlokta

None of the data on the title of the thread have percentage, so why mention percentage.

21. Sylmaron

Sylmaron

Spiderman will add to this in a big way. Incredible year for Sony.

22. Oreiller

Oreiller

There are less third party controllers than there used to, and the DS4 is pretty expensive. So, a lack of competition and steep prices I guess.

23. Ramuh

Ramuh
    Banned Member

Can't even think about the momentum Spiderman is going to contribute to the PS4 juggernaut.

24. Tigress

Tigress

Probably the fact it breaks so often (Im not bitter at all about how many I've gone through. No, not me /s). And I really am not that tough on them. Both the PS4 and PS2 seemed to have easily broken controllers. Add in with the PS4 I eventually had to buy the new style ones cause the bluetooth keeps getting interferance and the old ones I had would not connect with USB. Between breaking and that I've gone through 6 damned controllers (to be fair it seems with the newer version they are better cause the two newer versions I bought work fine and have not broken yet).

25. Bishop89

Bishop89

[​IMG]

good job Kratos

26. Wonder how many units it was? 300+?

27. SecondNature

SecondNature

Hm good point

I bought a new Dualshock because the launch was disintegrated

The new one has held up rock solid for 2 years now though.

But at the same time, I also bought an extra Dualshock 3 so I really dont think the launch dualshocks play a big role

28. Adamska

Adamska

Are people still claiming GOW will be easily outsold by Spider-Man?

29. jayu26

jayu26

If Spider-Man reviews like God of War then it will easily outsell God of War. God of War didn't really explode the way it did outside PlayStation faithfuls until previews started dropping couple of months ago.

30. AztecComplex

AztecComplex

Damn. Spider-Man and TLoU2 will make bank.

31. Terraforce

Terraforce

Won't be easy, but I can still see it happening if Spider-Man gets at least a 90+ MC.

32. cyberninja

cyberninja

Bbbut exclusives don't matter and single player games are dead.

33. I was just thinking this. Exclusives MATTER. They attract people not only to the exclusives in question, but also the ecosystem as a whole.

34. lordlad

lordlad
    Banned for trolling with an alt account Member

do you throw your ds4 around or punch it really hard? Pending the analog stick rubber peeling off, my launch ds4 still works as intended. And i played and platinumed soulsborne games without punching my controllers.

35. reKon

reKon

God of War was fucking beast mode.

Love this game

36. Citizencope

Citizencope

It really is. This former Xbot can't deny.

37. Remember when people thought consoles were dying?

Pepperidge farm remembers.

38. Adamska

Adamska

Yeah, it certainly could happen, but I don't think the new Spider-Man is such a reinvention or is as antecipated as GOW.
    GOW has had a lot of hype ever since the reveal, their showing of gameplay simply quelled the few people who were making asinine comments regarding the game somehow eschewing gameplay in favor of narrative.

39. xxracerxx

xxracerxx

Well at least the exclusives don’t matter myth can be toned down for a month or two.

40. Dynheart

Dynheart

Interesting that you bring this up. The DS4 is the first controller I have had to replace, ever (the analog stick rubber fell off). Every other controller I have owned, Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo, are still on their first iterations (I have obviously bought second controllers for co-op for said systems).

My wife's controller will soon bite the dust (again, analog stick material is starting to loosen). I am thinking about buying analog stick caps, as the controller is in perfect condition otherwise.

Aside from that little rant, good on Sony. Amazes me how consistent they are.

41. Zan

Zan

Kratos the GOAT.

Wonder if it'll be beaten on the platform any time soon?

42. TLZ

TLZ
    Banned Member

Hehe. And some want to convince me otherwise. Gah!

43. SG-17

SG-17
    Community Resettler Member

Wow, this is incredible and bodes really well for the future of traditional gaming and traditional consoles.

A completely offline story based game with no microtransactions set records.

44. Drksage

Drksage

I do believe it will. People will buy it for multiple reasons like: it’s a Spider-Man game, open world, infinity war is still in everyone’s mouth

45. chobel

chobel

Yeah, no way Spider-Man outsells GoW.

46. Ænima

Ænima

Crazy to sell so much 5 years in the generation without being in holiday season or having a price drop. That God of War effect.

47. Wishbone Ash

Wishbone Ash

Is the software claim actually 1995? That's when tracking was implemented, but it says the Xbox 360 held it from 2008 until the new PS4 record.

48. Kayo Police

Kayo Police

[​IMG]
    BOI!

49. Crayon

Crayon

Spiderman should be bigger, I'd imagine. Spiderman is loved the world over.

50. Musouka

Musouka

There are... For the gamepad sales.

I guess I didn't want to sound too negative or something so I added that.