• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I thought this warranted its own thread.

• PlayStation 4 software breaks a record: PlayStation 4 software dollar sales in April 2018 set an all-time April high for any platform since tracking began in 1995. The record had previously been held by Xbox 360 and was set in April 2008.

• PlayStation 4 hardware breaks a record: Sony's PlayStation 4 was the best-selling console hardware platform in April, and remains the best-selling console hardware platform year to date. PlayStation 4 generated the highest April unit sales for a Console since Nintendo Wii in April 2009, and the highest April dollar sales for a Console since Nintendo Wii in April 2008.

Bonus: DS4 is now the best selling gamepad (in dollar sales) EVER!

• Gamepad Sales are up: Gamepad spending increased 7% in April 2018 compared to a year ago and is up 23% year to date. The PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 Wireless Controller Black was April's top-selling Accessory and remains the best-selling Accessory year to date. The PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 Wireless Controller Black is now the all-time best-selling Gamepad in dollar sales.

Man, I remember the tone and the doom and gloom around the viability of dedicated console gaming before the PS4 came out. Ever since its launch, however, that narrative has quickly lost its ground.

With the PS4's present record setting success, when do you think is the ideal time for Sony to reveal and launch the PS5? Should they savor this moment or ride on it to next gen? Will the potential harm done to PS4's current tragectory be appreciable?

----
Edit: Forgot to add "console hardware" in the title.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That God of War effect.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Oh my......that's insane, and the last holder for hardware was the wii, this console proves amazingly good exclusives sell systems

OP
OP
KrigareN-

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I'm really interested to know what generated or even made the DS4 as the best selling gamepad of all time.

Surely this means individual controller skus, right?

Are packed in controllers breaking all of the sudden (experiencing this right now, lol) that customers are forced to buy a new one or what?

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
This is insane

Especially the controller being the most popupar of all time

Xbox 360 Gamepad has been the one most associated with gaming since it came out. Now theres going to be a whole gen of people raised and familiar with the dualshock 4, which is really funny since the classic dualshock was so hated last gen

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really interested to know what generated or even made the DS4 as the best selling gamepad of all time.

Are packed in controllers breaking all of the sudden (experiencing this right now, lol) that customers are forced to buy a new one or what?
There are less third party controllers than there used to, and the DS4 is pretty expensive. So, a lack of competition and steep prices I guess.

Ramuh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't even think about the momentum Spiderman is going to contribute to the PS4 juggernaut.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

Probably the fact it breaks so often (Im not bitter at all about how many I've gone through. No, not me /s). And I really am not that tough on them. Both the PS4 and PS2 seemed to have easily broken controllers. Add in with the PS4 I eventually had to buy the new style ones cause the bluetooth keeps getting interferance and the old ones I had would not connect with USB. Between breaking and that I've gone through 6 damned controllers (to be fair it seems with the newer version they are better cause the two newer versions I bought work fine and have not broken yet).

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
f4d.gif

good job Kratos

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the fact it breaks so often (Im not bitter at all about how many I've gone through. No, not me /s). And I really am not that tough on them. Both the PS4 and PS2 seemed to have easily broken controllers. Add in with the PS4 I eventually had to buy the new style ones cause the bluetooth keeps getting interferance and the old ones I had would not connect with USB. Between breaking and that I've gone through 6 damned controllers (to be fair it seems with the newer version they are better cause the two newer versions I bought work fine and have not broken yet).

Hm good point

I bought a new Dualshock because the launch was disintegrated

The new one has held up rock solid for 2 years now though.

But at the same time, I also bought an extra Dualshock 3 so I really dont think the launch dualshocks play a big role

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Are people still claiming GOW will be easily outsold by Spider-Man?
If Spider-Man reviews like God of War then it will easily outsell God of War. God of War didn't really explode the way it did outside PlayStation faithfuls until previews started dropping couple of months ago.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
Between breaking and that I've gone through 6 damned controllers (to be fair it seems with the newer version they are better cause the two newer versions I bought work fine and have not broken yet).
do you throw your ds4 around or punch it really hard? Pending the analog stick rubber peeling off, my launch ds4 still works as intended. And i played and platinumed soulsborne games without punching my controllers.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Won't be easy, but I can still see it happening if Spider-Man gets at least a 90+ MC.
Yeah, it certainly could happen, but I don't think the new Spider-Man is such a reinvention or is as antecipated as GOW.
If Spider-Man reviews like God of War then it will easily outsell God of War. God of War didn't really explode the way it did outside PlayStation faithfuls until previews started dropping couple of months ago.
GOW has had a lot of hype ever since the reveal, their showing of gameplay simply quelled the few people who were making asinine comments regarding the game somehow eschewing gameplay in favor of narrative.

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017

Interesting that you bring this up. The DS4 is the first controller I have had to replace, ever (the analog stick rubber fell off). Every other controller I have owned, Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo, are still on their first iterations (I have obviously bought second controllers for co-op for said systems).

My wife's controller will soon bite the dust (again, analog stick material is starting to loosen). I am thinking about buying analog stick caps, as the controller is in perfect condition otherwise.

Aside from that little rant, good on Sony. Amazes me how consistent they are.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kratos the GOAT.

Wonder if it'll be beaten on the platform any time soon?

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this is incredible and bodes really well for the future of traditional gaming and traditional consoles.

A completely offline story based game with no microtransactions set records.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no way Spider-Man outsells GoW.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Crazy to sell so much 5 years in the generation without being in holiday season or having a price drop. That God of War effect.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Is the software claim actually 1995? That's when tracking was implemented, but it says the Xbox 360 held it from 2008 until the new PS4 record.