• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017

Switch different to the other 2 of course since it was released later, but it shows all 3 consoles did really well in the US so far.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nice to see they all did relatively well. really good for a healthy industry to have 3 well-performing competitors in it.

Oct 25, 2017
NPD started tracking during the PS2 era, right?
Aligned should be like this:
  1. PS2
  2. Wii
  3. PS4
  4. Switch
  5. Xbox 360
  6. Xbox One
  7. PS3(?)
  8. Xbox
  9. Gamecube
I think.

As for the Switch, the results are pretty nice but I feel like they could be better with a more aggressive pricing strategy.
Launch aligned, PS4 got a price drop 6 months prior and the closest thing Switch has gotten to a bundle is the Black Friday limited bundle and some with $30 gift cards.

OP
OP
Kolx

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming in his tweet he meant the 360 and ONE are 5th and 6th?
The switch isn't 68 months in market so you can't put it in the same comparison. This's time aligned. If the Switch continue to outperform the XOne up to its 68 months then yes the XOne will the be the 6th best selling consoles in that period.

If you mean up to 28 months then we don't know if the X360 was selling better than the XOne within the first 28 months of their lifetime to say for sure if it's the 5th or 6th.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So is the first official word that X1 is behind X360 as far as pace in NA. I know X1 had a big lead on 360 but that has slowly eroded.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
So xbox one is selling better than N64, Playstation 1, Genesis, Playstation 3 and SNES?!

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
  1. PS2
  2. Wii
  3. PS4
  4. Switch
  5. Xbox 360
  6. Xbox One
  7. Xbox
  8. Gamecube
I think.

As for the Switch, the results are pretty nice but I feel like they could be better with a more aggressive pricing strategy.
Launch aligned, PS4 got a price drop 6 months prior and the closest thing Switch has gotten to a bundle is the Black Friday limited bundle and some with $30 gift cards.
Missing the PS3 there, probably ahead of the Xbox and Gamecube.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
  1. PS2
  2. Wii
  3. PS4
  4. Switch
  5. Xbox 360
  6. Xbox One
  7. Xbox
  8. Gamecube
I think.

There is no way the PS3 tracked below the gamecube and OG xbox.

Or am I crazy?

Deleted member 52823

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
How could Wii possibly be ahead of PS4 at this point considering PS4 has likely already sold more than Wii LTD?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Consoles may one day be doomed, but it is not this day.

So happy to be going into next gen with such a healthy, profitable industry.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't Wii the fastest selling system for that time period? So the top three would be

1. Wii
2. PS2
3. PS4

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, definitely possible. The PS3 was way overpriced when it launched. I don't believe it sold that well until it got a massive price cut
Lol.
The PS3 was at ~23 million at the end of this year launch aligned.
That's more than the GC sold overall and 1 million less than the Xbox sold overall.

Sep 25, 2018

Switch different to the other 2 of course since it was released later, but it shows all 3 consoles did really well in the US so far.

once The holiday Come the switch will take back it's spot since they got release at different times Sony have a extra Xmas on switch so they switch every now and then being in the lead

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
  1. PS2
  2. Wii
  3. PS4
  4. Switch
  5. Xbox 360
  6. Xbox One
  7. PS3(?)
  8. Xbox
  9. Gamecube
I think.

I agree about Switch pricing, but they do have a cheaper option coming with the Switch Lite. They probably won't cut the OG Switch any time soon because the Lite and OG models should be at least $100 difference given what you are getting, but they should include a game or something with the OG model.

Deleted member 52823

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
this isn't WW, just US.

Oh yeah that's right.

Looking at Wikipedia, sales in the Americas' for Wii, sales are around 45 million after 5 years (December 31 2011).

Considering PS4 is still behind even though Wii slowed significantly after 2011 (it only sold 3 million more the rest of its life in the US - 48.64 million as of December 31 2016) shows just how fast the Wii was selling.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
I don't know. Switch launched at a lower price and PS4 didn't fall to the same price until, what, 3 years after release?

And PS4's competition at the time was Xbox One (Kinect forcibly included until half a year later) and the Wii U. I feel like your console options were more limited back then.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The industry is healthy, It must be a good time to be a indie developer right now. Not easy time, but a good time to start business.

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And PS4's competition at the time was Xbox One (Kinect forcibly included until half a year later) and the Wii U. I feel like your console options were more limited back then.
It is about as limited as it is today. I doubt it would have been any different. No one knew Xbox One was going to sell like it did and there was tons of negative media prior to both consoles launching.

Oct 25, 2017
Very nice.

True, but a $100 price edge is undoubtedly a much bigger advantage. It was one of the reasons the PS4 did so much better than X1 when this gen started.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
The launch align comparison will always be weird given at this point the PS4 has had its third holiday while the switch is still waiting for its third.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Isn't Wii the fastest selling system for that time period? So the top three would be

1. Wii
2. PS2
3. PS4

Thats exactly what the tweet says:
"After 68 months in market, the PS4 has the 3rd highest time aligned Console installed base in US tracked history, trailing only the Wii and PS2"

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. PS2
  2. Wii
  3. PS4
  4. Switch
  5. Xbox 360
  6. Xbox One
  7. PS3(?)
  8. Xbox
  9. Gamecube
I think.

Switch Lite is coming.

Glad to see all three did well this gen, especially after the whole nonsensical "consoles are doomed" narrative so many were peddling back in the day.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 should slide into the number 2 spot by year end.
Gratz to MS for being in the top 5 after being the newest comer and doing it with less time.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
once The holiday Come the switch will take back it's spot since they got release at different times Sony have a extra Xmas on switch so they switch every now and then being in the lead
True, this is why the best comparison between Switch and PlayStation 4 is by fiscal year. Worldwide:
D5Er_9WW4AAJVPy

(PlayStation had one more quarter for its first fiscal year, but it's a fair comparison since fiscal year 2)