• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Updates this close to E3 usually trigger a 'what new feature are they gonna reveal' response but with no conference maybe it's just a coincidence.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
The ability to maintain perfect equilibrium on a rope.
balance.gif

Pickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Heres a stability suggestion: Remove rhe garbage ads on the TV tab or let me shortcut Crunchyroll to the main menu

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't count on many new features with PS5 on the horizon. Security updates for exploits.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Am I crazy in thinking the PS4 OS hasn't seen many significant updates since launch? The overall user experience seems basically untouched. Not sure if it's a bad thing though, I think it generally works great.

One wrinkle I see is when you've highlighted a game on the main menu, it shows you who else on your friend's list is playing. It looks like you should be able to go down and view/join a friend's session, but instead it takes you to the game's detail menu.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Am I crazy in thinking the PS4 OS hasn't seen many significant updates since launch? The overall user experience seems basically untouched. Not sure if it's a bad thing though, I think it generally works great.

One wrinkle I see is when you've highlighted a game on the main menu, it shows you who else on your friend's list is playing. It looks like you should be able to go down and view/join a friend's session, but instead it takes you to the game's detail menu.
External storage?
The hold to submenu changing?
Different and more streaming options?
Being able to use any picture for your theme?
HDR on the base PS4?
Folders?
Quick menu options for games to up/download PS+ saves?

There are many I've forgotten that may be a bit less "important" but...

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
<3 thanks friend. So what were the big ones? I'm not talking about account/network-level stuff like being able to change my username. I mean significant changes to the PS4 system user experience.
The post above this one stated a bunch of the good ones. Some more are:

ShareFactory for clip editing
3D Bluray support
Share Play
Themes
USB media support
Rest mode suspend / resume - probably the biggest one
Events
Communities
"Now Playing" area to see what friends are playing
YouTube streaming support
Completely redesigned quick menu

And I was just messin' with ya when I said you were batshit insane. I meant it with love <3

Last edited:

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
External storage?
The hold to submenu changing?
Different and more streaming options?
Being able to use any picture for your theme?
HDR on the base PS4?
Folders?
Quick menu options for games to up/download PS+ saves?

There are many I've forgotten that may be a bit less "important" but...

So yeah. Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I wasn't talking about features like external storage or HDR. Folders and quick menus are the kinds of UI changes I mean, but they're pretty small changes overall. By comparison Xbox360 went from blades to NXE to Metro, each one was pretty much a ground-up rethink.

I'm not even criticizing Sony on this, I'm mostly fine with the PS4 UI. I'm just saying it's been surprisingly consistent since 2013.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
So yeah. Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I wasn't talking about features like external storage or HDR. Folders and quick menus are the kinds of UI changes I mean, but they're pretty small changes overall. By comparison Xbox360 went from blades to NXE to Metro, each one was pretty much a ground-up rethink.

I'm not even criticizing Sony on this, I'm mostly fine with the PS4 UI. I'm just saying it's been surprisingly consistent since 2013.
I'll agree that they've kept the base look the same, no major redesign, but the additional things they've added have been so spread out it feels like they've been there forever. The library addition was a major change rather than the completely linear bar.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017

given your example, it's kind of a good thing. Sony hasn't ever made major shifts in their UIs on systems because they tend to just work. By contrast, MS made so many changes to the 360 it became silly and they got arguably worse each time (NXE, in particular, was pretty terrible, IMO). The One is playing it a bit safer by remaining mostly the same while adding new functions, but even with all of its changes and speedups, it's still rather clunky and slow.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
There's some kind of glitch on 6.70 which my digital games were locked and the restore license function wouldn't work and some people on reddit is having the same issue, but the fix is to deactivate and reactivate your PS4, restart, and use restore license then it unlocked my games.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
There's some kind of glitch on 6.70 which my digital games were locked and the restore license function wouldn't work and some people on reddit is having the same issue, but the fix is to deactivate and reactivate your PS4, restart, and use restore license then it unlocked my games.
Is this a wide issue or did you resolve it? i have 2 PS4 I have not updated yet since seeing your post.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Only issue I had was there was a slight delay in audio whether i was in a game or in the menu

Did a reboot and that was fixed

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone else locked out of their digital content following this update? I refreshed the licences and they are all still locked.

explewd

Nov 1, 2017
Sweden
Anyone else locked out of their digital content following this update? I refreshed the licences and they are all still locked.

Yup, but only after having downloaded a new app (Prime Video). Had to deactivate it as primary PS4, then reactivate it (and possibly restoring the licenses inbetween, can't remember. I had to muck around for a bit in the system menu).

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017

Some of my licences get locked if I've bought from another country, I had to go sign back into my Japanese account to get my M2 games working again. I didn't used to have to do that.