• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

Posted at the request of Suw4rbox

2017 was an incredible year for the PlayStation 4 in the UK, with Sony's console accounting for one out of every two games sold at retail.

Data provided to GamesIndustry.biz by UKIE and GfK Chart-Track shows that PS4 represented 50.2% of all physical software sales over the course of the year. The nearest competitor was Xbox One, which accounted for 31.6% of all games sold.

The full rankings of consoles by share of software sales will be revealed in our 2017 Year In Numbers infographic later this week.

UKIE notes that 2017 is the first year on record when a single platform has accounted for more than half of the total games market in terms of units. The previous best was the original PlayStation, which accounted for 47.9% of all boxed game sales in 1998.

Also notable is that Sony formats will have the most exclusive titles at No.1 in the UK charts this year. The most obvious is Activision's PS4-exclusive Crash Bandicoot: N Sane Trilogy, which racked up seven weeks in the top spot over the summer. This was not seven weeks consecutively: Crash was dethroned for one week by Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, another PS4 exclusive.

Sony's other 2017 chart-toppers include Horizon Zero Dawn, which managed two weeks (although not consecutively), as well as Persona 5 (exclusive to PS4/PS3), WipeOut: Omega Collection, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and Gran Turismo: Sport (all of which spent one week at No.1).

That's 15 weeks with a PlayStation title at No.1 in the UK - a feat not seen since 2009 when Nintendo racked up 16 weeks at the top of the charts, mostly with the original Wii Fit.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-12-19-ps4-took-half-of-all-uk-physical-game-sales-in-2017

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
That's kinda crazy with UK being the best market for Xbox after NA and that Switch is doing relatively well and 3ds is still chugging along with pokemon.

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
Crazy how the PS4 just keeps going from strength to strength. 2018 is going to be really interesting.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When is PS4 going to stop. Many thought it would be 2017 but it looks to have increased yoy. 2018 is looking strong as well in terms of software.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Physical is an important stipulation here. With the growth of digital especially in US and UK it might not be as good of an indicator of general demand as it would've been in the PS2 era

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
PS4 is a

QYjoxPs.gif

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Goes along with the splits we've been seeing in software this year. Crazy domination. Getting the FIFA rights probably pushed them over the edge to 50%.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yup, pretty impressive. Although I think that speaks more to its share in console sales than that it sells many more units per system: ps4 was at 4.5 million while XB1 was at 3.3 million and Switch at 300k (maybe 400k by now?). When taking out 10% sales share for legacy platforms, PS4 sold 50% of a total 90% on a hardware install base of 4.5 vs 3.7 million, which approximately evens out.

Of course, don't take anything away from PS4: being able to sell >50% is a massive feat, and should be lauded!

It seems that we will also get more detailed information later this week in their "2017 in review" graphics. Hopefully we can see the share of Switch and legacy systems there!

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Before the gen started Microsoft talked about aiming for 40% marketshare in Germany. Now they're not even close to that in their second strongest market.

What a trainwreck.

kruis

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
We've had lots of hints dropped by insiders that Xbox is skewing much higher on average for digital spend this gen in its strongest markets.

It could be that those Xbox numbers are artificially inflated because it also includes PC owners buying a Play Anywhere title on the Wndows store.

BTW Is there more recent data on PS4 vs Xbox sales in countries like Germany, Spain, France, Italy? A couple of years ago the PS4:Xbox sales ratios were 4:1 or even 5:1. Is that still the case?

Oct 28, 2017
MS's own fault for giving up on timed exclusives (DLC or game) in favour of TV TV TV.

Even though Xbox is my system of choice as I prefer achievements over trophies, i also own a Pro because lets face it... PS4 has the most and best exclusives along with the best multi-plats.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Playstation Kingdom, 2018 is going to be the biggest year ever for Playstation.
Whilst it doesn't appeal to me, if Spider-Man turns out anything better than half-decent, then it's going to be absolutely massive.

But the biggest sellers will be the third party titles as always, and RDR2 is going to move PS4s even though it's not exclusive.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Why would there be a difference for PS and/or Xbox?
Because xbone is a more digital/service platform in general, sharing for instance works a bit better on xbone, specially for gold/Ps+ benefits. And you have platform incentives to go digital like Play Anywhere.

Xbone also has 3 subscriptions that gives discounts on digital purchases, one of them (EA access) gives discounts and early access on launch games, even for the biggest games like Fifa.

Plus, I'm pretty sure it's been reported since the beginning of the gen that xbone is always a bit ahead in digital percentage. To be honest, I would be surprised if it didn't, all that benefits for going digital do add up.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
That's indeed amazing especially if we consider that UK is probably the only Xbox friendly EU country. On the other hand, UK doesn't seem as excited about Nintendo products as other EU countries. Of course, Switch is big but not as huge as in other countries.

HighJump

Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
We've had lots of hints dropped by insiders that Xbox is skewing much higher on average for digital spend this gen in its strongest markets.

Wasn't there a thread Nirolak (or was it Zughe) did about PS4 and XB1 digital marketplaces? I thought we came away with the conclusion that PS4 had steeper discounts and more frequent sales this year and thus had a better digital share? I could be misremembering though.

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
Well I got a PS4 this year, and haven't bought an XB1 game since. I honestly don't like turning my XB1 on because of the UI haha.
Interested to know how many other original UK XB1'ers have since gotten a PS4 too.

I wonder what impact Crash Bandicoot had too, as it was huge in the UK this year.

Last edited:

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It could be that those Xbox numbers are artificially inflated because it also includes PC owners buying a Play Anywhere title on the Wndows store.

BTW Is there more recent data on PS4 vs Xbox sales in countries like Germany, Spain, France, Italy? A couple of years ago the PS4:Xbox sales ratios were 4:1 or even 5:1. Is that still the case?
It's not artificially inflated, it's like the whole point of the initiative XD

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a UK era member I want to show you how Sony created this small slice of history.

7543618_R_Z001A

I PROMISE you, once Fifa shifted to PS4 for marketing it was a complete and utter wrap for this generation in the EU. FIFA is what kept XBOX's somewhat relevant in the EU. But today, with the help of FIFA and it's importance here, Sony's PS4 has had a surge in momentum. And when I say "SURGE" I'm not saying PS4's momentum was in any way lacking here, quite the opposite actually. But FIFA solidified them as the go-to for consoles.

It's a marketing deal Microsoft should have NEVER let go of.

Last edited:

xICHIGOx

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, pretty impressive. Although I think that speaks more to its share in console sales than that it sells many more units per system: ps4 was at 4.5 million while XB1 was at 3.3 million and Switch at 300k (maybe 400k by now?). When taking out 10% sales share for legacy platforms, PS4 sold 50% of a total 90% on a hardware install base of 4.5 vs 3.7 million, which approximately evens out.

Of course, don't take anything away from PS4: being able to sell >50% is a massive feat, and should be lauded!

It seems that we will also get more detailed information later this week in their "2017 in review" graphics. Hopefully we can see the share of Switch and legacy systems there!
The number of console sold isn't a good indicator of active player because it doesn't take into account those who upgrade to a newer model with various promotion (and we know that there are player doing PS4 to Pro and for xbox even worse the jump one->one s->one X). That's why MAU is a better indicator nowadays.