• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 2, 2018
Only a week or so after crazillo very kindly shared some of my thoughts on why Dreams has struggled with perception issues within broader gaming communities (very much including ERA) today I saw two separate Dreams creations are finalist for separate industry awards.

ab3d9e51aa6ec1ea89d5e3860caa43e6

Little Ninja is a finalist for the 2021 Young Game Developer BAFTA award.

ca980069ab5a5e61356cca75477756e6

The Snowgardens is a finalist for two separate awards for the Free Play Independent Game Festival including excellence in visual art and the student game award.

It has already been endless discussed and regurgitated in numerous topics how Dreams may benefit from being free, on PC, having multiplayer, allowing exporting, monetisation, better marketing etc.

Instead I'm hoping many of you will join me in both congratulating these young developers and commending Media Molecule and PlayStation for fostering indie game development from fresh and exciting sources in an increasingly volatile industry.

250px-Wallace_and_gromit.jpg

Legendary British Animation studio Aardman Animations (most famous being the creators of Wallace and Gromit) have also recently done an interview where they gushed over Dreams as a creation tool, complimenting its tactile physics engine, it's enjoyable creative process, it's ease of learning, and quick results.

Contrary to some often repeated (but misinformed) statements Dreams is not dying.

Media Molecule has repeatedly stated there are long term plans for the game. It is actively being developed as a live service game and Sony have been said to be extremely supportive.

Media Molecule continues to rapidly expand (I'm not sure how much is replacing turnover but given the number of job listings over the past few months I estimate Media Molecule is at least close to doubling in size since the days of LittleBigPlanet) and almost all of the roles seem linked to Dreams e.g live service development, community management, online programming etc.

Dreams-Creators-Notice-Mysterious-Arches-Appearing-In-Game-Worlds.jpg

DreamsCom is next month, a virtual convention hosted by Media Molecule giving creators a platform to show off their upcoming games and Media Molecule has been promoting and encouraging theories to mysterious and strange rock formations which have appeared in well known creations.

We'll have to wait and see if this is a tease for a larger update - but interestingly Dreams last big update, it's VR mode, was announced at last years show.

Last edited:

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I saw this earlier today. Yet another proof while the top things made in Dreams can reach indie game quality. Many congratulations to the award finalists. Both of these Dreams are truly excellent and I recommend anyone to play them.

Working on a pretty ambitious big project myself on the 90s and childhood nostalgia in Those Childhood Summers, I hope it will be half as good as these excellent titles.

OP
OP
UglySofaGaming
Nov 2, 2018
Working on a pretty ambitious big project myself on the 90s and childhood nostalgia in Those Childhood Summers, I hope it will be half as good as these excellent titles.

That sounds like a really decent concept, the first Life is Strange was a lot like that I think - how far along are you?

I started making my first game after almost two years of just playing Dreams, and because I'm making it a gentle pace I think it's going to take longer than I planned even though I set out a realistic goal (30-60 minute game)

It's a horror game and I'm currently making shots for a teaser trailer. This took a few hours to put together although it's not quite finished:

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Does Dreams work on the PS5?
I don't want this fantastic tool to die with the old gen.