• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
Vita had 2mil in the US, and much less than that everywhere else?

Judging by the behavior of people here, I expected it to have sold billions

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, Canada's XB1 sales are higher than France and Germany's?
I have a 1X and let me tell you people really don't give a fuck about Xbox here in germany.

They made decent inroads with the 360 but killed it all in the first half of the gen with their 'who gives a shit about europe' attitude at the start of the gen.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
As of 31 Dec 2018, Sony announced 91.6m sold through

And this website estimate PS4 sold through at 94.67m

They even over estimate official numbers from Sony by 3 millions (with regions not tracked), I don't trust those figures (EDIT : worldwide ones)

Last edited:

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The XBO is basically dead here in germany.
I have a 1X and let me tell you people really don't give a fuck about Xbox here in germany.

They made decent inroads with the 360 but killed it all in the first half of the gen with their 'who gives a shit about europe' attitude at the start of the gen.
But still, Canada has like 36 million people, Germany has 82 million.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The domination of the Switch in Japan only makes it more confusing when many Japanese developers still ignore the Switch for game development.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I wouldn't put any stock into the global LTD numbers posted in the meristation thread, as it's clear they extrapolated based on the data they do have. The only actual data to pay attention to is the US, Japan and Europe data as those are the only ones actually tracked.

The Europe data is also slightly off from what GfK report, and some are upweighted.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Goes to show the "big" markets are always relatively close, but it's the smaller markets where Sony thrives and everyone else is playing catch-up.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't put any stock into the global LTD numbers posted in the meristation thread, as it's clear they extrapolated based on the data they do have. The only actual data to pay attention to is the US, Japan and Europe data as those are the only ones actually tracked.

The Europe data is also slightly off from what GfK report, and some are upweighted.
Thanks for the precision

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So the UK is Sony's 4th largest market, as well as Nintendo's. And the Xbox One has also sold... decently enough here too.

I'm not really surprised but there's a lot of doom and gloom regarding the UK specifically at times and I'm just not seeing it.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So the UK is Sony's 4th largest market, as well as Nintendo's. And the Xbox One has also sold... decently enough here too.

I'm not really surprised but there's a lot of doom and gloom regarding the UK specifically at times and I'm just not seeing it.

I'd argue there's more doom and gloom for the Japanese market and it's 2nd place for both Sony and Nintendo.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd argue there's more doom and gloom for the Japanese market and it's 2nd place for both Sony and Nintendo.

Well yeah that too. But at least there we have the Xbox One unquestionably letting the rest down. Not that there's much to say than has already been said regarding the Xbox in Japan.

But yeah I was thinking more along the lines of the UK being a landslide or a write off one way or another when, I dunno I think it's doing OK for all 3.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Surprised it's as close as it is in the US. I thought PS4 would be way further ahead.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
People keep wondering why companies focus so much on the US market...it's the near equivalent of second through fifth combined.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Well there are some more strong markets for Xbox in Mexico and I think further Latin American countries but other than that these numbers are hardly surprising.

Oct 27, 2017
Why didn't MS really try and make in roads in Europe during the 360 era
I mean they did during both the 360 and early xb1. It just didn't shake out. Like the 360 was a great product for most of last gen with FIFA marketing and more diverse games and yet it still only sold like 2 mill in Germany. Some countries( ex. japan Germany etc) just aren't going to billy Xboxes regardless of what they do

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I fixed his Xbox data as I actually have resources into those numbers
unknown.png

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Yes, that many people don't care about Xbox consoles. It's a sentiment that's shared across the European Union. Unless you're really into consoles, Xbox as a brand might as well not exist. The launch of the Xbox One was pretty bad in the EU, it being more of a roll-out with smaller countries having to wait for their turn to be graced by the generous Microsoft and the mandatory Kinect couldn't have come at a worse time, just a couple of months after the reveal of the PRISM surveillance program. Who would want a mandatory camera from an US company in their living room after that? With a higher price than the trusted PlayStation brand on top of that? That console was just as toxic as the green packaging indicated, eroding what little progress they've made with the Xbox 360. I'd argue they've done little since then to gain market share here. At least in Germany, Game Pass for PC might be the better way to popularize the brand. E: If they can keep the price of 4 Euro per month, that is.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019

Do you happen to have similar data for 3DS as well?

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
I was gonna use these for some updated numbers for Vita sales, but I'm not sure how much I trust then (I know they're prefaced with 'just estimates', but still).

For example, James Armstrong reported 600k Vita sales (shipments) in Spain. 150k on shelves at the end of 2018 is ridiculous (discontinued in the region in 2016 iirc).

So yeah. Take with a large pinch of salt.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that the Italian market is so small compared to other European countries of similar population size

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Why didn't MS really try and make in roads in Europe during the 360 era
They did and it was a success. Only half of the 360's sales were from the US, so that's +40M everywhere else.

XB1 was a complete failure that only tried to succeed in very few countries after the disastrous reveal so they can keep as many buyers there as possible.

The brand pretty much has to do the work all over again, having lost more than 50% of its sales outside the US.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
Some of those European hardware numbers from 2014 look really odd unless the 3DS absolutely tanked in mainland Europe just for that year.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Surprised it's as close as it is in the US. I thought PS4 would be way further ahead.
blame sony for not being price competitive. They could have pulled away, but every fucking holiday like idiots they lose the gap they got the whole yeat.ABSOLUTE idiots! SONY when you cutting price! Getting more people into your ecosystem is more imprtant!

big_z

Nov 2, 2017

Canada likes xbox and sony has never really been a run away hit here

They did and it was a success. Only half of the 360's sales were from the US, so that's +40M everywhere else.

XB1 was a complete failure that only tried to succeed in very few countries after the disastrous reveal so they can keep as many buyers there as possible.

The brand pretty much has to do the work all over again, having lost more than 50% of its sales outside the US.

leadership, pr and marketing was god awful at the start of this gen for Microsoft. thankfully those running the show now arent so incompetent and they're laying the frame work for a very successful next gen... if they don't fumble the pr/marketing... price could be an issue too but well see.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I am Canadian myself and I've always wondered what the split between the two consoles were, especially the 7th gen. Me and most of my friends had a PS3, but the 360 was popular too.

360 was quite a bit more popular here. even in the 32/64bit days Nintendo held it owns in Canada despite world wide sales being largely in favor for sony.

for some reason sony has always been more popular in Europe. not sure if its because they push a lot harder there while Nintendo or Microsoft half ass it or if there's some sort of weird brand loyalty.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
360 was quite a bit more popular here. even in the 32/64bit days Nintendo held it owns in Canada despite world wide sales being largely in favor for sony.

for some reason sony has always been more popular in Europe. not sure if its because they push a lot harder there while Nintendo or Microsoft half ass it or if there's some sort of weird brand loyalty.
How do you know the 360 was more popular here? I could never find data for it.