• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
So, the rumor mills and speculation are heating up, and this will only continue through until all the details are fully known in every respect (teardowns etc of final models).

Chief around this are rumors of 9.X to 12.9 TF, 8C/16T Zen2, Raytracing hardware, nVME drives (use more power than typical SATA SSD due to higher clocks/utilization) etc.

In the absolutely most optimistic range of 7nm 3.5 Zen2 and 9.75TF Navi, a console of this spec would draw 280-290W easily at load. Compare this to Xbox One X peaking at 171W load, PS4 Pro in the 140W range, and you get an idea that this is going to mean some interesting design choices for 9th gen, and this power chasing may end up with consoles having to choose two of the three :

Fast
Loud
Big

Rumors of 12-12.9TF nets you deep into the 300W range, if not closer to 400W (higher clocks lower efficiency, along with 7nm thermal density challenges). At that point, you have a big external brick with a fan, or a genuinely PC sized box.

Personally, I'd be ok with something about the size of a typical surround sound receiver if it meant something very quiet, cool running, and powerful. But it would really be a big adjustment for consumers used to relatively small units.

What do you think?

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
Both my launch OG PS4 and PS4 Pro sound like vacuum cleaners so if a larger console and/or power brick alleviates that, the I'm fine with it.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I choose Big and Loud. I like waiting an additional 45 minutes for Day One updates.... it's my "me" time.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciated that the PS4 basically launched with a slim profile from the start. I'll take the space accommodating jet engine model.

Oct 25, 2017
Gimme that OG Xbone VCR design please, the loudest thing about that was the external hard drive I plugged into it.

OP
OP
Arkaign

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
I choose Big and Loud. I like waiting an additional 45 minutes for Day One updates.... it's my "me" time.

LOL I'm multitasking a bit, realize my choices are hilariously off, but basically :

Small + very Loud = powerful

Vs

Small + moderate loud = slowish

Vs

Big + quiet = very powerful

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I'm okay with big. It's not gonna be bigger than my A/V Receiver and I have plenty of space on my TV stand.

OP
OP
Arkaign

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
I think I'd appreciate it being overbuilt a little size wise to account for people accumulating a bit of dust, or living in a particularly hot area, etc. I'd rather not see something that's borderline right out of the box in minty new and cool ambient range.

Unrealistic, but I'd be SUPER grateful for a quickly removable/cleanable fan design, or at least something with easy access and externally swappable filters. There things will really be pushing some air.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Twin fans with removable shroud to clean dust would be ideal. Would be very quiet.

I don't want blower style anymore. The one x is quiet, but even that depends on which fan you get. Microsoft sources two fans for it and there's a fair bit of variation.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I think the launch PS4 and the current One X are pretty much perfect.

Really hope we can keep the size to a minimum and not get something like the launch Xbox One again.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I think the launch PS4 and the current One X are pretty much perfect.

Really hope we can keep the size to a minimum and not get something like the launch Xbox One again.
I'd take the Xbox One OG size if it meant that it sound like a fighter jet taking off like the original PS4s (credit to the slim tho, its significantly quieter)

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll take an upsized Xbox One X. Yeah it's not as sexy as diagonal vents but it's beautifully designed.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care how big the thing is as long as it doesn't sound like a fucking jet engine revving up in my living room

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I expect an Xbox one s sized machines for both the Xbox and PS5 one x is probably too small to be realistic at first. The surface team and Sony in general make excellent looking and feeling hardware.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Size never bothered me just as long as it a) doesn't turn my living room into a sauna or b) doesn't turn into a jet engine when I play games.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
As long as the PS5 doesn't sound like a Soviet era jet engine, I don't care if it's the same size or a little bit bigger than my PS4 Pro. I don't want to have to change the thermal paste and heating pads because Sony cheaped out on their cooling solution.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about the size. I need something slightly more quiet than the fucking Saturn V rocket I currently have sitting under my TV.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
expecting them about as big as Pro/X1

2019 design/engineering standard practice with consoles is not to finalize the consumer model with a fucking tank

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
My PS4 Pro can wake up demons on another plane of existance, I definitely want something more silent.

Make 3x the size I don,t give a shit.

Karthane

Mar 20, 2018
My ps4 pro fan noise actually makes me enjoy games less. It's so grating and sometimes I can barely hear dialogue in game

Status
Not open for further replies.