• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console arrive?

• H2 2019

Votes: 638 14.1%
  • H1 2020

Votes: 724 16.0%
  • H2 2020

Votes: 2,813 62.2%
  • H1 2021

Votes: 141 3.1%
  • H2 2021

Votes: 208 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man,if the consoles were to launch in 2019 (which I still believe the are not) the RAM situation would be so bad..I mean,even for 2020 it looks like 32GB is not an option and 24GB is considered wishful thinking. If we are talking 2019,it's probably just 16GB.

Why does 16GB seem like such a low amount to you? I'd be more than happy with that!

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Besides the fact that that information may simply lead to too-pricey components, it doesn't matter what Sony and Microsoft do in regards to building their machines. Individual developers will decide what they want to do with their game, and if they want to use crazy graphical/lighting effects that require turning down the resolution, or implement complex simulation elements that tax the CPU and bring down the framerate, then they will do just that.

They might also use Pro style rendering mode options, so we might actually get some real choice.
Only that developers have always tried to push visuals. On the PS4 Pro they are doing checker board, on the Xbox One X they are pushing 4K or coming close to that resolution. There is no reason as to why next generation games will not try and make that resolution standard. That is something that has been achieved on what is lower RAM, bandwidth and weaker GPU.

OP
OP
Phoenix Splash
Mar 23, 2018
Still on the 2020 band wagon. Sony still has a lot of games to come out on the PS4 well into 2019 and beyond.

Launch in 2020 and maybe they can release the PS5 with a killer game, like a sequel to Horizon or God of War for example.

Microsoft will probably do the same. They just bought a load of studios, but I doubt any will have anything to show by next year. Hold out until 2020 and release the next Xbox with some killer titles.

I'd bet my right nut both consoles will be out in 2020 and not before.

Why would sony release PS5 next year when they still have a huge amount of multi million AAAs for next year and beyond in addition that PS4 still selling like a hot cake and launching PS5 in next year may destroy PS4's incredible sales momentum.

Late 2020 is the most plausible case if not 2021. You've my words.

What do you guys mean by "2019 and beyond"? PS3 did, too. While PS3 was releasing titles like GTA V, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Gran Turismo 6... PS4 was releasing with this line up

PS4-Launch-Titles.jpg

And these were Xbox One's first party launch games

Xbox-One-games-1.jpg
(Killer Instinct, too)

Does it really matter if PS5 is released without a big, GOTY caliber, first party game? You could argue that PS4 or Xbox One didn't really have a great first party exclusive until late 2014 or even 2015.

Third parties. Let's say both PS5/XboxOneTwo and Cyberpunk 2077 are releasing in late 2019-Spring 2020. Scarlett/PS5 is not here yet, so Sony/MS would have the best current console to play this new ultra-hyped game.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This relates primarily to PS4 right now, but Sony just announced a cross-platform play beta for Fortnite. That marks a major policy change within the current gen! I'm hopeful that this will mean fewer barriers between next-gen platforms as well.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
What do you guys mean by "2019 and beyond"? PS3 did, too. While PS3 was releasing titles like GTA V, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Gran Turismo 6... PS4 was releasing with this line up

PS4-Launch-Titles.jpg

Xbox-One-games-1.jpg
(Killer Instinct, too)

Does it really matter if PS5 is released without a big, GOTY caliber, first party game? You could argue that PS4 or Xbox One didn't really have a great first party exclusive until late 2014 or even 2015.

Third parties. Let's say both PS5/XboxOneTwo and Cyberpunk 2077 are releasing in late 2019-Spring 2020. Scarlett/PS5 is not here yet, so Sony/MS would have the best current console to play this new ultra-hyped game.
I do not think that it will matter early on whether or not Sony releases a big hit first party game to go with the console seeing that hardcore gamers will get the console either way. It will matter with the passage of time given the investment that Microsoft has made in the first party space.

Another defining factor will be how fast consumers take to subscriptions seeing that both console makers will have a service that allows for local downloads. This is where first and second party games will be important as well as what partnerships can be struck with third party publishers. Content will be key and not only for the next generation, but beyond that.

dryz

Oct 30, 2017
Q1 20 at the latest is my guess. Launch with TLoU 2. PS5 would be sucessful even with cross-gen titles only.

Will be interesting to see how will Sony approach next E3. If they don't announce PS5 then they will have pretty much the same conference as this year. TLoU 2, DS and Ghost.

Jan 2, 2018
IMHO, 16GB [minus few gigs for OS] is too low for enabling rendering of true nextgen worlds and characters. The point of these new consoles it not to achieve rendering of current level of assets in 4K, but to be much more detailed and larger.
Exactly that. I just think that 16GB minus OS would not be enough (I mean,,seriously,it would only be like 3GB more than the XBX). When it comes to next gen hardware,RAM is actually what worries me most.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IMHO, 16GB [minus few gigs for OS] is too low for enabling rendering of true nextgen worlds and characters. The point of these new consoles it not to achieve rendering of current level of assets in 4K, but to be much more detailed and larger.

Exactly that. I just think it's 16GB minus OS would not be enough. When it comes to next gen hardware,RAM is actually what worries me most.

Fair points. It seems that my personal standard for "next-gen" is much lower I suppose. I'd honestly prefer that neither console-maker chase "native" 4K and continue to allow devs the option of techniques like checkerboarding. I do agree that chasing native 4K for games would eat up more resources than it may be worth.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly that. I just think that 16GB minus OS would not be enough (I mean,,seriously,it would only be like 3GB more than the XBX). When it comes to next gen hardware,RAM is actually what worries me most.

One nice thing though, PS4 Pro has started the trend of adding side-pool of RAM for OS purposes. It has 1GB [2x 512MB to be more precise] of DDR3 fused onto the mobo for background OS apps.

It would be nice if PS5 could implement a mobile stack of lets say 4GB for full OS use and leave almost all of the fast GDDR/HBM memory for games.

Jan 2, 2018
One nice thing though, PS4 Pro has started the trend of adding side-pool of RAM for OS purposes. It has 1GB [2x 512MB to be more precise] of DDR3 fused onto the mobo for background OS apps.

It would be nice if PS5 could implement a mobile stack of lets say 4GB for full OS use and leave almost all of the fast GDDR/HBM memory for games.
Things is,the PS4 OS is taking 3.5GB out of the 8GB available and while it's true that Sony used 1GB DDR3 on the Pro to release more of main memory to devs,I think using 4GB to the OS next gen won't be enough if they are planning on substantial features upgrade. So that makes it either 6 or 8GB of additional DDR4,with additional memory controller- seems pretty expensive to me, I think 24GB of GDDR6,where they can set a fixed amount of RAM to the OS and maybe release some later to devs would be a better solution.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i don't expect many big first party ps5 titles at launch no matter what year.

With 2019 having so many stellar ps4 games, they could launch ps5 with 1 or 2 decent ps5 only titles (knack level) and enhanced versions of ps4 titles via BC. They could even ship ps5 versions on discs that include ps5 packaging but are essentially ps4 versions with ps5 patches already on disc.

Then the following year release more ps5 only titles

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So you guys think Sony allowing crossplay now have anything to do with the rumors about PS5 launching next year? Since it's the last year of this gen they might as well end it with as much goodwill as possible, crazy theory I know.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I'm really hoping for some deep learning hardware inclusion to accelerate inference-based AA techniques for next-gen.

If you think temporal recinstruction results are great, then MLAA will be stunning.

Agreed. After watching DF's early look at DLSS, having something similar on all next-gen games as standard would be amazing.

Only that developers have always tried to push visuals. On the PS4 Pro they are doing checker board, on the Xbox One X they are pushing 4K or coming close to that resolution. There is no reason as to why next generation games will not try and make that resolution standard. That is something that has been achieved on what is lower RAM, bandwidth and weaker GPU.

The Pro and X have little to do with this argument, as the improvements in their patches are usually whatever the devs can do quickly and easily - it's not like the process of making a full game from the ground up. Even then, multiple X1X patches include optional modes with reconstruction, in order to focus on superior visual effects. There absolutely is a reason why they would not go for native 4K - the fact that it's not worth it. The difference between native 4K and reconstructed 4K using a decent method is minimal, yet requires double the GPU power - and if the devs just have that lying around on a brand-new next-gen title then they probably aren't doing their jobs right. I agree that if they can just turn on native 4K with no cost then they will, but it doesn't work like that - they'll do what makes their game look better.

Agreed. 4-8GB of LPDDR4 for recording, media app suspension and most of the OS, and 16-24GB of GDDR6 with 1GB for the rest of the OS and the rest for games. We'd get at least a 3x improvement (if not 4.5x) even before counting the HBCC effect.

Deep Friar

Mar 17, 2018
So you guys think Sony allowing crossplay now have anything to do with the rumors about PS5 launching next year? Since it's the last year of this gen they might as well end it with as much goodwill as possible, crazy theory I know.

Makes sense. Don't want people still talking about the big black mark they have.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
DDR3 memory controller is already in the Pro, the only thing remains is to see will they evolve this feature with PS5.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

PS4-Launch-Titles.jpg

Xbox-One-games-1.jpg
(Killer Instinct, too)

The PS4 is still selling incredibly well and will do so well into 2019 with it's upcoming slate. There is no need for a PS5 in 2019. I doubt MS will drop a new Xbox next year when they just dropped the X a year ago, which still sells for £400 just for the console.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
I am not even 1% convinced PS5 will launch in 2019.

By all accounts the HARDWARE will be ready by 2019 and that is fine, but having finalized hardware design ready is only one (somewhat important)element of a console launch.

First, a full developed and tested PS5 SDK MUST be available to be implemented into existing development work flows in a meaningful way. If you rush this, you run the risk of shipping launch software full of bugs and running like dogshit. For all its similarities to PS4, the PlayStation 5 will be a new console platform, and if utmost importance and care isn't fully considered during SDK development and implementation, word of mouth from the hungry sharks on social media WILL tear it apart.

Second is the other half of the software picture, and that is the games themselves. I'm not going to try to beat a dead horse since the point has been done to death, but time is needed to make good exclusive PS5 games. Sony is currently riding a gigantic wave of good will because of the quality of their games. I believe Sony is fully aware that without these well received games, the PS4 is just an XBOX clone. Sony, like Nintendo, is famous for taking their time developing games and they are both being rewarded for this. To think they will not take their time to develop the SDKs and games necessary for the PlayStation 5 launch is crazy talk in my view.

Speaking of the PS4.(#3) The console has received only one single price drop in 5 years. At $299usd, the current sales trajectory of the PS4 does not support a 2019 PS5 launch AT ALL.

If each of these are taken singulary, I could still see a PS5 launch next year because, again, the hardware is probably ready. But nothing exists in a vacuum so together, nothing I've heard or read so far convinces me of a launch next year

Not enough pieces of the puzzle are yet in place

Team2020 all the way.

Last edited:

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
The Pro and X have little to do with this argument, as the improvements in their patches are usually whatever the devs can do quickly and easily - it's not like the process of making a full game from the ground up. Even then, multiple X1X patches include optional modes with reconstruction, in order to focus on superior visual effects. There absolutely is a reason why they would not go for native 4K - the fact that it's not worth it. The difference between native 4K and reconstructed 4K using a decent method is minimal, yet requires double the GPU power - and if the devs just have that lying around on a brand-new next-gen title then they probably aren't doing their jobs right. I agree that if they can just turn on native 4K with no cost then they will, but it doesn't work like that - they'll do what makes their game look better.
Microsoft went from 1.31TFLOPS to 6TFLOPS. Assuming these consoles hit 10-12TFLOPS don't people think that this will be enough to hit 4K combined with an increase in RAM and bandwidth? And there are games that are already doing native 4K or close to that on the Xbox One X, games that are doing superbly well on the PS4 Pro.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Microsoft went from 1.31TFLOPS to 6TFLOPS. Assuming these consoles hit 10-12TFLOPS don't people think that this will be enough to hit 4K combined with an increase in RAM and bandwidth? And there are games that are already doing native 4K or close to that on the Xbox One X, games that are doing superbly well on the PS4 Pro.

4K is a dev choice, not a matter of hardware. Same thing for frame rate. If the devs want to go ham on image fidelity and use all of the processing power they can on giving you better effects, they might very well select to go with some form of reconstruction instead of wasting power on delivering more pixels.

PS4Pro can do native 4K60, right now. It's just that most devs select to use power other ways.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
4K is a dev choice, not a matter of hardware. Same thing for frame rate. If the devs want to go ham on image fidelity and use all of the processing power they can on giving you better effects, they might very well select to go with some form of reconstruction instead of wasting power on delivering more pixels.

PS4Pro can do native 4K60, right now. It's just that most devs select to use power other ways.
If they have to choose, and they always choose, they will go with better graphics as they almost always do at a lower frame rate.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Thanks for laying it out. You're right. With all the graphical and lighting effects they could implement (hell, they might even try for some limited ray-tracing, though that seems unlikely), along with the sheer amount of things they could put on the screen, native 4K60 on everything is unlikely, and I'll be glad for them focusing on making their games look better in general. I hope the Switch 2 would do something similar - reconstructed 1080p in portable mode rather than native, and use the extra power to try and match the other qualities of the PS4.

Oct 27, 2017
So far Days gone, ghosts of tsushima, and last of us part 2 are 2019 releases, days gone being locked in for Feb, and ghosts of tsushima possibly late 2019 with the possibility of slipping into 2020.
Why would GoT slip into 2020? They showed a lot of gameplay at e3, honestly it looked the farthest along imo with the exception of spider man. Didn't they say at the late 2017 reveal that they thought it was a year or so away?

Sony will have a April/May game similar to Uncharted 4/GOW so GoT seems more likely for late spring than any other

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
So far Days gone, ghosts of tsushima, and last of us part 2 are 2019 releases, days gone being locked in for Feb, and ghosts of tsushima possibly late 2019 with the possibility of slipping into 2020.

Pretty sure there are no dates for GoT and TLOU2.

I remember Neil mentioning that they won't announce a release date until they are sure they can hit it, and when he was asked if he thinks that they will be able to announce it soon he said no.

I also saw no mention of a release date for GoT anywhere, but I might have missed a interview or something.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Can 20GB of GDDR6 even be done? If you mean 16GB GDDR6+4GB DDR4 then I doubt such a split will happen. One single pool.

Yes. They can do bus sizes in 32 bit increments. Similar to how the latest Ti graphics cards from Nvidia have had 352 bit busses to memory.

Dambuster Studios (Homefront The Revolution) are now looking for a Senior Online Service Engineer "to join the engineering team which is working on a sandbox AAA title for next generation hardware"

UE4 is everywhere. Let's hope it's optimized well for next gen consoles.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there a CoD job posting for next year's title? It specifically mentioned next gen I believe.

Oh wow. I completely missed this.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/07/02/call-of-duty-2019-to-include-single-player/

Now, a job listing posted by development studio Infinity Ward hints about the possibility of a story-drive CoD 2019 campaign, and shows an open gap for a "narrative scripter," who is wanted to work on "a new, exciting, unannounced title for multiplayer next-gen platforms."

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Yes. They can do bus sizes in 32 bit increments. Similar to how the latest Ti graphics cards from Nvidia have had 352 bit busses to memory.

Thanks. So technically it is possible. I still can't see past Sony going with the simple 256bit bus/448GB BW GDDR6 (16GB) They could do 384bit (or 352bit for that matter) but that doesn't lend as well to shrinks/costcutting which Sony always do.

Microsoft on the other hand might. I don't think One X was designed to be shrunk later so the use of 384bit didn't matter in this case?

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Why would GoT slip into 2020? They showed a lot of gameplay at e3, honestly it looked the farthest along imo with the exception of spider man. Didn't they say at the late 2017 reveal that they thought it was a year or so away?

Sony will have a April/May game similar to Uncharted 4/GOW so GoT seems more likely for late spring than any other

They said it was like only 60-80% done. SO that tells me they have not completed a full playthrough of the completed game which means more than likely would slip into 2020.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Thanks. So technically it is possible. I still can't see past Sony going with the simple 256bit bus/448GB BW GDDR6 (16GB) They could do 384bit (or 352bit for that matter) but that doesn't lend as well to shrinks/costcutting which Sony always do.

Microsoft on the other hand might. I don't think One X was designed to be shrunk later so the use of 384bit didn't matter in this case?

You can still shrink those chips. That just don't scale as well when the memory interface is larger.

Oct 27, 2017
They said it was like only 60-80% done. SO that tells me they have not completed a full playthrough of the completed game which means more than likely would slip into 2020.
Idk man.

Just because it's a little more than half way done doesn't mean the last half process is as complicated and time consuming (2-3 years) as the first half

I'm hoping for 2019.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Idk man.

Just because it's a little more than half way done doesn't mean the last half process is as complicated and time consuming (2-3 years) as the first half

I'm hoping for 2019.

Dev time on new IP stuff is usually kinda front-loaded: creating tools, game systems, getting the engine down pat working, validating the fun factor of the game, this kind of stuff tends to take a lot of time. One of the GG devs said in one interview that when Horizon was first shown at E3 2015, they had virtually nothing of the game content done - they used the Thunderjaw for the video because that was the only machine rigged and with tentative animations, that they had been using to validate the gameplay. So, virtually all of the content for that game was created in the next 20 months-ish.

So, if they're past halfway, I don't think it unimaginable that it might be ready for a late 2019 release. Assuming they don't work like SSM, that built stuff as they went (and Barlog admits it's probably the worst possible way to go at it).