• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console arrive?

• H2 2019

Votes: 638 14.1%
  • H1 2020

Votes: 724 16.0%
  • H2 2020

Votes: 2,813 62.2%
  • H1 2021

Votes: 141 3.1%
  • H2 2021

Votes: 208 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
So, changing the subject back to next generation console hardware for a moment, the current thinking is that PS5 and the high end Xbox Scarlett will most likely use unified GDDR6 memory.

If that's the case, then the amounts of RAM is also an easy guess.........16GB, 24GB, 32GB or some permutation of one of those, augmented with perhaps some amount of slower RAM (DDR4, for instance) for use with the Operating System and other supplementary work.

If I understand it correctly, 16GB and 32GB would both use a 256-bit memory interface, while 24GB would use a wider 384-bit memory interface (like the Xbox One X)

If we are talking about a 3Ghz 8 core/16 thread Zen2 ( which, by itself, could approach 1TF computing power) and a 12TF-class GPU, then a 256-bit bus will NOT have a sufficient amount of memory bandwidth to fully feed those two processors.

If these consoles are to viable another 6-7 years beyond launch then 24GB with a 384-bit pipe will be needed, or your fancy Ryzen/Navi chips will be forever underutilized.

If they launch in 2019 but are forced to use 16GB to hit that target, well.......I don't know what to say, really :/

I'm still only going to expect 16GB but if either console gets 32GB or 24GB I'll be the first to slow clap them. I'm not sure about a 256-bit bus not being able to provide sufficient BW to a 12TF/8c/16t Zen2 APU. Doesn't RTX 2080 have a 256-bit bus/448GB/s BW?

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
2019 or 2020. Whats the big deal, just chill and let's play RDR2. We will see november 10th what mister Spencer has to say.
This. People are getting too fired up, no one can really rule out 2019 however likely 2020 looks, so just sit tight and the answer will reveal itself relatively soon. Not gonna play RDR2 tho, fuck rockstar and their 60$ pc ports a year after console release.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Yup. At that point, you may be better off eating the cost of HBM and hope it improves a lot over time. Plus you're talking 1TB/s memory bandwidth at that point, which is bonkers.

I still wonder if they might actually do that. Normally I'd completely rule it out in favour of GDDR6, but the things I keep hearing about how dependent these APUs are on memory bandwidth - including stuff like the Zubor - makes me think it may actually be worth eating the cost.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Yup. At that point, you may be better off eating the cost of HBM and hope it improves a lot over time. Plus you're talking 1TB/s memory bandwidth at that point, which is bonkers.

Even so, 1TB/second memory bandwidth might be what is needed.

Taking again my proposed 12TF Navi/ 3Ghz Zen2 console compared to X1X, you are talking a 2X jump in GPU power, which is mild, but a HUGE jump in CPU power (potentially 8X or more) over that shitty Jaguar

X1X has 326MB/sec so as crazy as 1TB/second might sound, it may be what is necessary since it's really only a 3X jump over X1X.

At least 700MB/s will be needed at minimum, IMO.

What is "bonkers"in 2019 may be "meh" in 2026, which might be how long these things must stay viable before another successor arrives

Last edited:

Silenti

May 29, 2018
If the APU should be going through validation around 2 years in advance, and Zen 2 leaks have just begun to hit, then you would expect it to be finalized by this point.

If a 24GB version requires a 384-bit bus then I would personally toss it as a possibility. Someone with a bit more technical knowledge help me out here. To my thinking the bus width is not something you can change late in the game. It is one thing to add more RAM in a clamshell when the dev kit already has this. A different bus is a different story entirely is it not?

Nachtmaer

Oct 27, 2017
If the APU should be going through validation around 2 years in advance, and Zen 2 leaks have just begun to hit, then you would expect it to be finalized by this point.

If a 24GB version requires a 384-bit bus then I would personally toss it as a possibility. Someone with a bit more technical knowledge help me out here. To my thinking the bus width is not something you can change late in the game. It is one thing to add more RAM in a clamshell when the dev kit already has this. A different bus is a different story entirely is it not?
Pretty much. Changing the the memory controller means changing the chip and the entire hassle that comes with it. You're not gonna change something major like that very late into the design.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still only going to expect 16GB but if either console gets 32GB or 24GB I'll be the first to slow clap them. I'm not sure about a 256-bit bus not being able to provide sufficient BW to a 12TF/8c/16t Zen2 APU. Doesn't RTX 2080 have a 256-bit bus/448GB/s BW?
Yep. And 18 Gb/s GDDR6s are currently available giving 576 GB/s using a 256 bit bus. Its not absurd to think that 20 Gb/s Gddr6 could be widely available in 2020, which would give a 640 GB/s bandwidth. More than the 2080ti BW.

Bandwidth using a 256 bit bus (and so 32GB in total using the clamshell mode) will likely be enough...in 2020.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Yep. And 18 Gb/s GDDR6s are currently available giving 576 GB/s using a 256 bit bus. Its not absurd to think that 20 Gb/s Gddr6 could be widely available in 2020, which would give a 640 GB/s bandwidth. More than the 2080ti BW.

Bandwidth using a 256 bit bus (and so 32GB in total using the clamshell mode) will likely be enough...in 2020.

I wonder if any of the insiders could answer/indicate if 24GB or 32GB is still definitely not happening, especially if there has been a delay from a planned 2019 to 2020?

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017

Enough for the GPU alone. A 2080ti doesn't include a Ryzen 2 like the next consoles might so it is not a 1:1 comparison at all

640GB/sec bandwidth would be able to saturate/feed a system slightly less than 2X an Xbox One X(326GB/sec.

Put another way, a console with dual Jaguars/ Scorpio Engines would require >640GB/bandwidth.

A console with Navi+Zen2 will be greater still

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Enough for the GPU alone. A 2080ti doesn't include a Ryzen 2 like the next consoles might so it is not a 1:1 comparison at all

Bandwidth needs for the GPU will absolutely dwarf the usage for the CPU (probably something very close to 10:1). It won't be insignificant, but won't be all that big of a deal.

There's always the possibility that Sony will do something weird like a 320-bit bus. That could give us something like 640 to 720GB/s depending on individual chip speeds and up to 20GB in clamshell.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Bandwidth needs for the GPU will absolutely dwarf the usage for the CPU (probably something very close to 10:1). It won't be insignificant, but won't be all that big of a deal.

There's always the possibility that Sony will do something weird like a 320-bit bus. That could give us something like 640 to 720GB/s depending on individual chip speeds and up to 20GB in clamshell.
They wouldn't need clamshell to hit 20GB. We already have 16Gb chips.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thread about a Diablo 4 leak has a detail about PS5 being "Project Epsilon" as a codename. Refresh me folks. Was that name already debunked?

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017

Ryzen 7 1800x integrated memory controller supports~40GB/ sec. Ryzen2 should at least double this, which is why I agree with you 700MB/ second is necessary at minimum.

That said, anything less than that won't get the job done, IMO.

And if not, you can kiss any illusions of widespread 4k/60fps next generation goodbye.......then again.....that was never going to happen anyway :p

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
SilverX

Did you miss my Mark Cerny post? 2 years is correct.

Lol, sorry I missed this post (you aren´t on my ignore list) but you are using a comment that Cerny made about a rather groundbreaking UI for its time. I mean, the whole thing about sharing and emphasizing the use of a share button would of course require that amount of time.

I REALLY doubt the PS5 has a OS/UI that is that much different the PS4 (it is the most well received UI of any available console). To think that the PS5 would need the same amount of time doesn´t add up when working with the PS4 and updating it across 5 years helped shape the PS5´s OS/UI.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
TSMC has had N7+ tapeouts, N5 hits risk production next April, and they're going to have a new packaging process suited to HBM by the end of the year.

https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1333827

InFO-Memory-on-Substrate will be qualified for production by the end of the year. It can link logic and typically HBM memory on a full reticle 830-mm2 device.

In process technology, TSMC announced that it taped out a customer chip in an N7+ node that can use EUV on up to four layers. Its N5 that will use EUV on up to 14 layers will be ready for risk production in April. EUV aims to lower costs by reducing the number of masks required for leading-edge designs.
TSMC said that N5 will deliver 14.7% to 17.7% speed gains and 1.8 to 1.86 area shrinks based on tests with Arm A72 cores. The N7+ node can deliver 6% to 12% less power and 20% better density; however, TSMC did not mention speed gains.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017

640GB/sec bandwidth would be able to saturate/feed a system slightly less than 2X an Xbox One X(326GB/sec.

Put another way, a console with dual Jaguars/ Scorpio Engines would require >640GB/bandwidth.

A console with Navi+Zen2 will be greater still
If PS5 has a GPU with 2080ti comparable performance (like I think it will) then 640GB/s will be more than enough. It's a console, so devs can optimize bandwidth usage much more than on a PC. And 2080ti has 616GB/s of bandwidth.

And you can't compare with XBX linearly. PS5 gpu won't be 2 XBX GPUs ductaped ! It's going to be a much more advanced tech with plenty of custom hardware and maybe some bandwidth optimizations.It's probably not going to be GCN for a start.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Lol, sorry I missed this post (you aren´t on my ignore list) but you are using a comment that Cerny made about a rather groundbreaking UI for its time. I mean, the whole thing about sharing and emphasizing the use of a share button would of course require that amount of time.

I REALLY doubt the PS5 has a OS/UI that is that much different the PS4 (it is the most well received UI of any available console). To think that the PS5 would need the same amount of time doesn´t add up when working with the PS4 and updating it across 5 years helped shape the PS5´s OS/UI.

No problem about missing my post. I jumped the gun a bit there.

I disagree about your reasoning though. Yes in the PS4 case he says they spent the last two years working on everything surrounding the HW but it doesn't change the fact that the APU would have to be locked down way in advance of going on sale.

anexanhume did a good job explaining the more technical side.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
TSMC has had N7+ tapeouts, N5 hits risk production next April, and they're going to have a new packaging process suited to HBM by the end of the year.

https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1333827

Wow so does this mean that 7nm+ cell phone chips could be in mass-production next fall? TSMC is right on schedule then? Maybe AMD's 7nm+ next generation GPU can still make 2020?

On a more general note, can anything be inferred from this information as to the technology the next-gen consoles will use or their timeline for launch?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Wow so does this mean that 7nm+ cell phone chips could be in mass-production next fall? TSMC is right on schedule then? Maybe AMD's 7nm+ next generation GPU can still make 2020?

On a more general note, can anything be inferred from this information as to the technology the next-gen consoles will use or their timeline for launch?
Yes, it appears they're still on schedule. If this holds, 7nm+ phone chips in 2019, 5nm in 2020. HPC and big die is a little less clear. They are clearly developing advanced packaging technologies related to big die in the next few years, but it's possible GPU vendors skip 7nm+ and go for 5nm. We'll just have to see. You can't take a 7nm+ console APU off the table, IMO.

Last edited:

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Memory bandwidth in PS5 should be more than what Vega 64 came with. Navi should be better than Vega.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Really interested to hear your thoughts then about DF's guess of a 13.82TF GPU with 80CU,8 disabled for yields and clocked at 1,5Ghz. Does it seem possible to you? is it something realistic to expect?
I misquoted the rumor but didn't edit fast enough.

A Vega 64 scaled to 7nm using TSMC's own numbers only takes up about 200 mm^2. Assuming a next gen APU is 350 mm^2, they can afford to grow it. I think Richard was fair in his estimation.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I found this job posting to start Spring 2019 a while ago that is quite interesting: https://jobs.amd.com/job/Austin-Co-Op-Engineer-Spring-2019-(68823)-TX-73301/502598100/

About the Department
PE is responsible for post-design planning and once silicon arrives, driving customer samples execution and high volume manufacturing readiness. Typical areas of activity are testing, quality, reliability, yield analysis and production support. PEO works horizontally across several functional organizations and is key to driving production manufacturing with time, budget and cost constraints. PEO is a fast paced multi-tasking environment.

you will learn to work in a fast-paced Global Technical team environment. The work you will do will be directed to the next generation of cutting edge Semicustom APUs (GPUs). You will become very familiar with the inner workings of these APUs that uses latest process technology and design.

Could be for PS5, Scarlett or other unknown customer of AMD.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I found this job posting to start Spring 2019 a while ago that is quite interesting: https://jobs.amd.com/job/Austin-Co-Op-Engineer-Spring-2019-(68823)-TX-73301/502598100/

Could be for PS5, Scarlett or other unknown customer of AMD.
Good find. The posting is for Spring 2019, and alludes to development silicon arriving after the position has commenced. To ramp for Fall 2019, a console APU would need to be in production late Spring or early Summer, which makes a Fall 2019 launch unlikely given this timeline.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Good find. The posting is for Spring 2019, and alludes to development silicon arriving after the position has commenced. To ramp for Fall 2019, a console APU would need to be in production late Spring or early Summer, which makes a Fall 2019 launch unlikely given this timeline.

Yep. Could be for Scarlett in 2020 though it does say APUs. Pity I didn't check a year ago to see if they had a similar posting...

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Starting to see some entries from Sony related to LLVM exegesis, which is a benchmarking tool focused on identifying instruction latency. Kind of an interesting move given they profile heavily with internal tools.

https://llvm.org/docs/CommandGuide/llvm-exegesis.html
Where does it say it was contributed by Sony? I do not see that, at least not on the page provided. Seems to be a normal evolution of the compiler toolset ...

After a quick check::
Unless the one contributed and committed the latest changes named Clement Courbet is working for Sony which he doesn't. A quick check reveals that he actually works for Google.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Simon Pilgrim (rksimon) and Andrea Di Biago (andreab) are both Sony employees and their names all over these commits.
Those are the reviewers not the contributors. To get the contributor you have to hover over the commit link. The tool was initially added by Clement Corbet.

5xPtKhw.png

Ozorov

Oct 26, 2017
TeamH2-2018 Baby! Sony lied about no PSX. PSX will be on christmas eve since Santa Claud is busy this year. Release be the day after at 199$. 128 GB HBM4, 4 TB SSD, Zen 5+, 297 TF GPU. Will be BC with every game ever released and it Will make it an instant remake with 4K textures, online modes, 60 fps, VR-mode, new missions and modes etc. but the launch titles will be dull

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
TeamH2-2018 Baby! Sony lied about no PSX. PSX will be on christmas eve since Santa Claud is busy this year. Release be the day after at 199$. 128 GB HBM4, 4 TB SSD, Zen 5+, 297 TF GPU. Will be BC with every game ever released and it Will make it an instant remake with 4K textures, online modes, 60 fps, VR-mode, new missions and modes etc. but the launch titles will be dull
tenor.gif