• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console arrive?

• H2 2019

Votes: 638 14.1%
  • H1 2020

Votes: 724 16.0%
  • H2 2020

Votes: 2,813 62.2%
  • H1 2021

Votes: 141 3.1%
  • H2 2021

Votes: 208 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It's time to face reality with two insiders saying plans have changed.
You mean one insider and one guy who could be trolling us all?

Sorry Kleegamefan, I can only be skeptical about your claim. I hope you're right about hearing more about PS5 soon, but I would love to see it release in 2019. If there is any particular good reason to delay to 2020, then I can wait. I just want to know more about the specs, form factor and features of this thing, especially the supposed DualShock 5 that splits into 2 VR controllers... please be true :)

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Not to be an asshole but is Kleegamefan confirmed insider? I know Benji is though.

I thought it would be 2019 a few weeks ago, I'm thinking 2020 now honestly.

I dunno if you can consider me a "confirmed insider" but I use to work for Game Fan and EGM back in the day.

Even so, I still have many friends still in the gaming industry that I hang out with and play games together with from time to time when I go back home. Just thought I'd share a little bit of what I heard. I don't get any pleasure from leading people on. People who frequent the old forum know who I am since I have been there since the late nineties.

Does that make me trustworthy? Not necessarily, but I do feel some disclosure is in order.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never heard that being the reason. So if it is a factor that was something I was unaware of until now.
I wasn't referring to you. Sorry if my post made it seem that way. It was Kleegamefan with his "bingo" comment.

I dunno if you can consider me a "confirmed insider" but I use to work for Game Fan and EGM back in the day.

Even so, I still have many friends still in the gaming industry that I hang out with and play games together with from time to time when I go back home. Just thought I'd share a little bit of what I heard. I don't get any pleasure from leading people on. People who frequent the old forum know who I am since I have been there since the late nineties.

Does that make me trustworthy? Not necessarily, but I do feel some disclosure is in order.

Thanks for disclosure. That's very much appreciated.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Tbh because I don't really know Matt well enough to be doing that sort of thing.

I've been in the position where people I dont really know are inboxing me asking for private info and how awkward that can be. I'm not going to do that sort of thing to someone else. Especially someone I respect like Matt

That's fair enough.

OP
OP
Phoenix Splash
Mar 23, 2018
It's so odd that they didn't plan BC for the PS5 originally. At this point, if the decision to include it was taken not so long ago, my guess is that only PS4 BC will be available at launch, I'm not even sure about enhancements. I also guess they will be including PS2 and PSX games with graphical ehancements later on, like the Xbox One X does with the older titles, but probably not at launch. Not so sure about PS3 or even PSP and Vita... they could with the rumored hardware, though.

Really, what would have been their reason to not include it? PS Now?

Edit: I'm realizing I'm talking like if BC was already confirmed for the PS5 when they could say "no" tomorrow.

Oct 25, 2017
Alright just think for a second. Sony's business moves imply that they're gearing up for something huge soon. They've cancelled their annual PSX conference, their execs are talking about the future of "PlayStation" etc. and now we have multiple people confirming that 2019 was the plan. Sony is "leaking" 2020 to throw people off.
To throw who off though? Internet folk like us? Because it can't be big sites like Polygon and what not. They gonna find out one way or another.

That is what is being discussed in a nutshell, yes. But allegedly, the reasons for a delay go way beyond just BC.

Personally, I find the notion of Sony not having BC planned for PS5 from a relatively early date completely absurd.
Thanks for that.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
It's so odd that they didn't plan BC for the PS5 originally. At this point, if the decision to include it was taken not so long ago, my guess is that only PS4 BC will be available at launch, I'm not even sure about enhancements. I also guess they will be including PS2 and PSX games with graphical ehancements later on, like the Xbox One X does with the older titles, but probably not at launch. Not so sure about PS3 or even PSP and Vita... they could with the rumored hardware, though.

Really, what would have been their reason to not include it? PS Now?

Edit: I'm realizing I'm talking like if BC was already confirmed for the PS5 when they could say "no" tomorrow.

*If* it turns out to be true then they did actually downplay/question BC through Jim Ryan and Mark Cerny.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doubting the truthfulness of my post, yet trolling me because of said doubts?

Interesting tactic.

Nah, not trolling you. Just trying to ascertain the veracity of your claims. I believe what you said now in terms of your truthfulness. I still have my doubts about everything though, cos all the info is so conflicting, but time will reveal everything.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
To throw who off though? Internet folk like us? Because it can't be big sites like Polygon and what not. They gonna find out one way or another.

Thanks for that.
Maybe they're trying to throw off MS until they (Sony) know that they're getting 2019 all to themselves? I.e. if MS catches wind early enough they could put together a 2019 Scarlett launch (albeit rushed) and Sony loses the benefit of launching in 2019.

My thinking is that Sony is trying to separate itself from the console race into their own "space." This is why I think that the last thing they want is a simultaneous launch. They want as many PS4 owners as possible to smoothly transition into PS5 without having to think twice about another console.

Feb 10, 2018
Hi,I will try my luck- I'm not asking for any specifics but to your opinion,will we be satisfied with the specs of the PS5? again,no need for specifics.just your thoughts.

Not that I know anything . But just based on the reality of hardware we should get a GPU that is 10-12tflops and a zen cpu with 2-3x the performance of ps4 cpu. Ram will be around 16gb for games.

Games built for this hardware will look substantially better then current gen.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just weird.

You look at Sonys business strategy and the way they are conducting themselves and it screams 2019

But I mean, no one "in the know" believes its hitting next year. 2020 is the same thing that comes up every time

Idk and the little bit of digging I've done hasnt brought anything new up. I dont think we will get anymore info about PS5 unless the dev kit documentation hitting before the year ends pans out. If that happens you can be sure Jason will dig it up
But how likely would a Q1 2020 launch be? I mean Sony hasn't done it in America before, but other companies have and been successful.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony "leaking" fake stuff is highly unlikely. Not impossible but unlikely

That said there is always a chance that people have similar sources and those sources aren't being fully truthful. Happens more often than you might think

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Nah, not trolling you. Just trying to ascertain the veracity of your claims. I believe what you said now in terms of your truthfulness. I still have my doubts about everything though, cos all the info is so conflicting, but time will reveal everything.

Yeah I agree. Again I am just a messenger. These are the things I have heard.

I really don't think I am being intentionally manipulated to spread dis-information(I'd like to thank not) but, for sure, some of it is puzzling.

Even I can admit that.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Wait, no one remembers this?:

"SIE head Kodera told analysts and investors that the period until March 2021 would be when PlayStation to "crouch down once" to grow further in the future."

March 2021 is when the fiscal year ends, right?

What this might mean:

- 2019 will be a slower year for Sony, when number of PS4 sales should drop further and they will not have a new hardware to reverse this.
- Q1/2 2020 should also be a slower period for the PS4, even more if they annouce the PS5 so early in the year, like they did back in 2013.
- Fall 2020 might be when they release the PS5, that's why investors should expect a grow in the numbers by March 2021.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Sony "leaking" fake stuff is highly unlikely. Not impossible but unlikely

That said there is always a chance that people have similar sources and those sources aren't being fully truthful. Happens more often than you might think
I believe Apple sent out some faked leaks to track down the source by following the chain of the false information.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not that I know anything . But just based on the reality of hardware we should get a GPU that is 10-12tflops and a zen cpu with 2-3x the performance of ps4 cpu. Ram will be around 16gb for games.

There seems to be a strong consensus on 16gb of RAM for PS5. Obviously nobody knows yet, maybe Sony haven't even fully decided yet at this point, but I really feel like 16GB of GDDR6 is far too little. Only 4GB more than XB1X? Seems odd. Of course we aren't looking at another 16X increase in RAM, but I would have thought we'd get something closer to 32GB(4X). That does seem ridiculously high though, so I dunno. My laptop has 16GB of RAM and I got that back in 2012. It's DDR3/4 though, not the same type, but either way, 16GB would feel low to me if that's what we get in PS5.

24GB GDDR6 + 8GB DDR4 for OS would be a nice sweet spot.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony faking 2020 for 2019 would have to be crazy widespread

Because I dont know anyone right now personally expecting that. Including people well in the know.

But who knows anything could happen.

Jan 2, 2018

I'm still hoping that Richard's prediction from the DF's video will come true- 80CU,8 disabled,clocked at 1.5Ghz= 13.82TF. That would be so great.
And I seriously hope we will get 24GB when it comes to RAM,16 minus OS sounds ridiculous.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
There seems to be a strong consensus on 16gb of RAM for PS5. Obviously nobody knows yet, maybe Sony haven't even fully decided yet at this point, but I really feel like 16GB of GDDR6 is far too little. Only 4GB more than XB1X? Seems odd. Of course we aren't looking at another 16X increase in RAM, but I would have thought we'd get something closer to 32GB(4X). That does seem ridiculously high though, so I dunno. My laptop has 16GB of RAM and I got that back in 2012. It's DDR3/4 though, not the same type, but either way, 16GB would feel low to me if that's what we get in PS5.

The big mistake is to compare to a laptop/PC. A console is primarily about graphics and even the highest end GPU (RTX 2080Ti) has 11GB GDDR6. 16GB (say a 13GB/3GB split) would be fine.

If Sony/MS shock everyone with 32GB I won't complain (if the price isn't affected). Can't be disappointed this way.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

What are the benefits of more RAM?

Games look pretty amazing as is texture wise and 4K as we know is what really makes them pop, does it lessen pop up because more can be put in memory or is that more to do with GPU power, less loading zones?

Surely there is a ceiling anyway because of how strong the GPU or CPU is.

Feb 10, 2018

I just dont see how they can do more then 16gb gddr6 for $399.
I mean the 1x had 12gb gddr5 in 2017 for $499.

We would have a better idea on how much ram they will have if we knew how much nvidia were paying for there Gddr6 in the 2080 cards.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony faking 2020 for 2019 would have to be crazy widespread

Because I dont know anyone right now personally expecting that. Including people well in the know.

But who knows anything could happen.
We did heard that Infinity Ward was working on a "next-gen" game. Whether that is COD2019 or something else is up in the air, but it makes me think that a Q4 2019 or a Q1 2020 launch isn't farfetched.

Deep Friar

Mar 17, 2018
I doubt they'd mention a new console, or scale back or omit their presence at various shows, unless they have something to show soon. They're not dumb enough to think the next two years will be fine with little to no new things to show/announce.

Or are they?

Add in the COD posting and I think we're all going to be blindsided soon.

Oct 26, 2017
Surely the PS5 OS footprint doesn't need to get much bigger the PS4pro? Not that I ever expected the PS4 to reserve 30 times what the PS3 did, but 3GB already seems like a lot for secondary features.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We did heard that Infinity Ward was working on a "next-gen" game. Whether that is COD2019 or something else is up in the air, but it makes me think that a Q4 2019 or a Q1 2020 launch isn't farfetched.

They could be handling the port job of Sledgehammer's 2020 COD which is a last hurrah on this gen I suppose rather than doing a next gen COD2019. It does seem weird because if not, 2019 PS5 or it's just a 2022 COD which is possible, games take longer and longer to make so they have to get started.

Feb 10, 2018
I'm still hoping that Richard's prediction from the DF's video will come true- 80CU,8 disabled,clocked at 1.5Ghz= 13.82TF. That would be so great.
And I seriously hope we will get 24GB when it comes to RAM,16 minus OS sounds ridiculous.

I doubt it will be clocked that high.
The 1x has a vapour chamber and thats only clocked at 1.172ghz.
Which is why I think we will get a more moderate tflop count.unless they go $499 and have a vapour chamber or $399 and a big ass console with a huge fan.

Jan 2, 2018
Yeah thats a weird one I agree
I actually think there's a slight chance that it is because Activision is giving IW adn extra year to develop a cross-gen game,while pushing BO4 hard for the next two years and doubling down on it. it is after all much more multiplayer focused,even when talking about COD,
Chances are I'm wrong,but If UBI is giving AC a break next year,who knows.

Jan 2, 2018
I doubt it will be clocked that high.
The 1x has a vapour chamber and thats only clocked at 1.172ghz.
Which is why I think we will get a more moderate tflop count.unless they go $499 and have a vapour chamber or $399 and a big ass console with a huge fan.
True,but it using an older process,and If next gen's chips will be fabricated on a 7nm with EUV process,it might be possible.

Deep Friar

Mar 17, 2018
I actually think there's a slight chance that it is because Activision is giving IW adn extra year to develop a cross-gen game,while pushing BO4 hard for the next two years and doubling down on it. it is after all much more multiplayer focused,even when talking about COD,

I doubt Activison will allow a year without COD. 2013 had one. How is this any different?

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I doubt they'd mention a new console, or scale back or omit their presence at various shows, unless they have something to show soon. They're not dumb enough to think the next two years will be fine with little to no new things to show/announce.

Or are they?

Add in the COD posting and I think we're all going to be blindsided soon.

This is what isn't making sense. Even Benji and Kleegamefan acknowledge that everything doesn't add up.

*If* BC wasn't planned and say earlier this year they panicked and changed their minds (read the ERA threats!) and decided to go back and add it in it doesn't really square with all these other execs talking (in the last two weeks) that seems to indicate they are gearing up for something big like an announcement of a new platform. If they were now delaying launch by say a year then surely they would actually increase their presence at the likes of GC, PGW and wouldn't cancel PSX and continue to push PS4?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've considered this as well.

The IW posting is for sure a weird one

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
So, for people with hardware knowledge, why is a "mere" doubling of ram size acceptable when it increased 16-fold last time around? I get that ram is more expensive now, but won't this become a bottleneck like the ram on the last generation was, at some point?

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They could be handling the port job of Sledgehammer's 2020 COD which is a last hurrah on this gen I suppose rather than doing a next gen COD2019. It does seem weird because if not, 2019 PS5 or it's just a 2022 COD which is possible, games take longer and longer to make so they have to get started.
If the PS5 is fully BC with the PS4 they shouldn't need to have two different SKUs for crossgen games, just a PS5 patch/mode that takes advantage of the better hardware.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they were now delaying launch by say a year then surely they would actually increase their presence at the likes of GC, PGW and wouldn't cancel PSX and continue to push PS4?

Thing is it's hard to show up big at conferences when every major remaining 1st party exlcuisve for the PS4 is already announce besides 1

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
No idea tbh, his comment about BC seems to go against what Matt said unless that was just speculation.

Kleegamefan was answering the question 'PS3 and PS4 BC', not 'PS4 BC', and didn't specify which BC implementation was the 'cause' of the 'delay'.

It's entirely possible that PS3 was the addition that caused any delays, not the PS4.

I mean we're literally seeing a potentially fake rumour start here solely based on a unspecific answer to a question with two specific objects and people running away with a conclusion (there was no plan for PS4 BC until 2017) that is unsupported by the original question and answer.

Feb 10, 2018
True,but it using an older process,and If next gen's chips will be fabricated on a 7nm with EUV process,it might be possible.

Maybe. My primitive understanding is that next gen will produce similer heat to the pro/x because its double the cu's in a similer die space.

I think of it like 80 small engines produce a similer amount of heat to 40 big engines.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is what isn't making sense. Even Benji and Kleegamefan acknowledge that everything doesn't add up.

*If* BC wasn't planned and say earlier this year they panicked and changed their minds (read the ERA threats!) and decided to go back and add it in it doesn't really square with all these other execs talking (in the last two weeks) that seems to indicate they are gearing up for something big like an announcement of a new platform. If they were now delaying launch by say a year then surely they would actually increase their presence at the likes of GC, PGW and wouldn't cancel PSX and continue to push PS4?

After all the business moves Sony have made this year, culminating in not hosting PSX19 (I won't call it cancelling, cos it was never announced), I would consider it gross negligence on the part of Playstation's new management to not launch the PS5 in 2019. That's the only reason I believe it's 2019. I don't believe Kodera, Layden etc. could be that incompetent.

Edit: the only alternative to this line of thinking in my mind is something else has gone horribly, horribly wrong in the planning/architecting of the system itself. I mean, what are you going to show off at E3 2019 if PS5 is 2020?

I'm getting overly intense. I need to take a break from this. Hehe