• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console arrive?

• H2 2019

Votes: 638 14.1%
  • H1 2020

Votes: 724 16.0%
  • H2 2020

Votes: 2,813 62.2%
  • H1 2021

Votes: 141 3.1%
  • H2 2021

Votes: 208 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Thing is it's hard to show up big at conferences when every major remaining 1st party exclusive for the PS4 is already announce besides 1
whaaaa9qf2e.gif

Jan 2, 2018
Thing is it's hard to show up big at conferences when every major remaining 1st party exlcuisve for the PS4 is already announce besides 1
Wait,there's another major PS4 exclusive that hasn't been announced yet? that's gotta be Guerrilla's game then. Shame,I wanted Horizon 2 to be a PS5 title..
Unless I misunderstood?

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Thing is it's hard to show up big at conferences when every major remaining 1st party exlcuisve for the PS4 is already announce besides 1

I get that WWS have largely moved on to PS5 games but they do still have Bluepoint's remake and maybe Japan Studio could come up with something? If a lot of third-party have moved to next-gen I guess they won't be too pleased about a delay, either.

If all this is true, how do you think it will play out?

Jan 2, 2018
I forgot Bluepoint,so there is still hope for a PS5 Horizon 2 (:
Actually went to their websiter recently,and they job listings that implies a cross-gen game.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Kleegamefan was answering the question 'PS3 and PS4 BC', not 'PS4 BC', and didn't specify which BC implementation was the 'cause' of the 'delay'.

It's entirely possible that PS3 was the addition that caused any delays, not the PS4.

I mean we're literally seeing a potentially fake rumour start here solely based on a unspecific answer to a question with two specific objects and people running away with a conclusion (there was no plan for PS4 BC until 2017) that is unsupported by the original question and answer.

I should have clarified, it's PS4 BC, specifically.

That is one thing behind schedule that I know of.

OK I'm going to bed now. I will check in later.

If the mods want to pm for varification, that is fine.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
We did heard that Infinity Ward was working on a "next-gen" game. Whether that is COD2019 or something else is up in the air, but it makes me think that a Q4 2019 or a Q1 2020 launch isn't farfetched.
But the next gen version of their COD game does not have to launch day and date with the current gen version, right? So they are currently working on COD2019 for PS4 and PS5, but the PS5 version can launch later, let's say Q1 2020.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But the next gen version of their COD game does not have to launch day and date with the current gen version, right? So they are currently working on COD2019 for PS4 and PS5, but the PS5 version can launch later, let's say Q1 2020.
I question whether they would need a separate PS5 version if the system is BC. They might only need a patch to get enhancements beyond system level (Boost Mode) stuff. That is assuming they just don't sell a separate version anyway to get more profits.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I absolutely don't want Horizon 2 to touch PS4.

I want GG to go crazy with Zen.
There's no way Horizon 2 is PS4. GG delivered day 1 on PS4. No doubt they're being counted on to deliver on PS5. Sucker Punch was the other launch window AAA dev, and they're clearly working on Ghosts. I don't think any other developer seems poised to deliver a big title launch day/window.

Deleted member 1326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think there's a slight chance that it is because Activision is giving IW adn extra year to develop a cross-gen game,while pushing BO4 hard for the next two years and doubling down on it. it is after all much more multiplayer focused,even when talking about COD,
Chances are I'm wrong,but If UBI is giving AC a break next year,who knows.
It could work. They might do a season ticket (? not sure what's the name) like fortnite and see how it goes.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
There's no way Horizon 2 is PS4. GG delivered day 1 on PS4. No doubt they're being counted on to deliver on PS5. Sucker Punch was the other launch window AAA dev, and they're clearly working on Ghosts. I don't think any other developer seems poised to deliver a big title launch day/window.

Yep. I know a lot think it near impossible that GG could deliver H2 at or very close to launch but I do. Add say a smaller family friendly game similar to Knack (RaySpace?) and that would do for the first 3 months.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I know a lot think it near impossible that GG could deliver H2 at or very close to launch but I do. Add say a smaller family friendly game similar to Knack (RaySpace?) and that would do for the first 3 months.
It isn't so much that they couldn't do it. It is more that they couldn't do that while delivering upon the expectations for Horizon 2. I think a standard and expected sequel to Horizon could make it around launch. A sequel to Horizon that considerably improves upon the first game seems it would take a bit more time imo.

Jan 2, 2018
Guerrilla Games, Decima engine and Horizon Zero Dawn 2 is the perfect combination to showcase the next-gen console.

Of course it will be a PlayStation 5 game.
I sure hope so,I think the timing is dangerous- they probably started working on the sequel around mid 2017,and according to Benji and others,even now,almost 2 years later next gen hardware is still in it's infancy.
I hope Sony won't pull a Horizon 2 PS4 late 2020 on us.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
It could be anything really. Something something vr, exclusive from 3rd parties, bluepoint, japan studio... he actually revealed nothing, pretty much...

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I for sure wouldn't consider something like VR games or remakes "major"

But that's my opinion

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
I should have clarified, it's PS4 BC, specifically.

That is one thing behind schedule that I know of.

OK I'm going to bed now. I will check in later.

If the mods want to pm for varification, that is fine.

Thanks for clarifying and have a good sleep!

That's both good and concerning :

Good because it means it's definitely in.

Concerning that they either started work on it late in the day, and that getting it working is causing issues.

Cheeky question - is it an enhanced BC solution framework similar to MS?

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
I evidently misread a post and got the idea that BC, if it indeed wasn't a consideration at first, was added in 2017 so sorry about that.

I will however eat my hat if there is hardware PS3 BC in the PS5, no way that happens when PSNow exists imo

Edit: oh he's clarified now, never mind about PS3 BC then.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
After all the business moves Sony have made this year, culminating in not hosting PSX19 (I won't call it cancelling, cos it was never announced), I would consider it gross negligence on the part of Playstation's new management to not launch the PS5 in 2019. That's the only reason I believe it's 2019. I don't believe Kodera, Layden etc. could be that incompetent.

Edit: the only alternative to this line of thinking in my mind is something else has gone horribly, horribly wrong in the planning/architecting of the system itself. I mean, what are you going to show off at E3 2019 if PS5 is 2020?

I'm getting overly intense. I need to take a break from this. Hehe

Well, they'll simply not go to E3 2019 just like Europe this year. And then skip Europe again. And skip PSX 2019. Then finally a PS meeting in Feb 2020, where everyone will be flabbergasted at the release of a 2019 spec underpowered machine but with PS4 BC! Then wait until November for PS5 release with zero new games to sell on PS4, hopefully Death Stranding and TLOU2 has some serious legs! Surely a fine plan!

I agree it makes no sense whatsoever.

I haven't read this thread for a month or so, came in expecting to see way more 2019 PS5 what with every single behaviour / bit of news pointing that way lately. Am shocked lol.

Nov 14, 2017

I dunno if you can consider me a "confirmed insider" but I use to work for Game Fan and EGM back in the day.

Even so, I still have many friends still in the gaming industry that I hang out with and play games together with from time to time when I go back home. Just thought I'd share a little bit of what I heard. I don't get any pleasure from leading people on. People who frequent the old forum know who I am since I have been there since the late nineties.

Does that make me trustworthy? Not necessarily, but I do feel some disclosure is in order.
In no way I meant it as an insult. Sorry if that seemed the case.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For each manufacturers, the internal transition and the trust with their customers seems more important than frontal competition this time.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
I for sure wouldn't consider something like VR games or remakes "major"

But that's my opinion
Well probably most PlayStation owners would consider a remake of Demon's Souls by Bluepoint "major" but its good to know that is not that.

After that I can't really think what major game still will announced for PS4.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
Another big exclusive could carry Sony through 2019, it'd have to be something really special though for them to cruise a year on a single announcement.

It would also have to have been held back from being announced and release pretty soon I think, none of this "coming in 2 years" because it'll just fall in to the cross gen pile.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
But Matt log time ago said Sony had focused on improved BC of PS4 games on PS5 . It's weird to hear now that they never considered the PS4 BC untill recently