• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console arrive?

• H2 2019

Votes: 638 14.1%
  • H1 2020

Votes: 724 16.0%
  • H2 2020

Votes: 2,813 62.2%
  • H1 2021

Votes: 141 3.1%
  • H2 2021

Votes: 208 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 10, 2018
AMD moving their next CPU and GPU releases forward is possible? Bring it! A first sample of both line-ups being released at CES would be awesome.

Do you think we will be seeing 7nm versions of current gen consoles before the next gen consoles arrive? Super Slim or whatever

Maybe the rumoured discless X1 will be 7nm in 2019
I bet it can be the size of a wii.

Feb 10, 2018
I wonder if the DualShock 5 will have some kind of OLED touch screen that can display things. I've been watching Dark1x video of Resident Evil 2 and the Sega Dreamcast had a display screen built into its controller showing ammo.

https://youtu.be/9J716rqAPCU?t=1572

Seems a bit gimmicky, I barley remember the ds4' s track pad and speaker being needed.
Plus it would raise the cost and drain battery life.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if the DualShock 5 will have some kind of OLED touch screen that can display things. I've been watching Dark1x video of Resident Evil 2 and the Sega Dreamcast had a display screen built into its controller showing ammo.

https://youtu.be/9J716rqAPCU?t=1572
I am voting for a eInk touch display in the place of the current touchpad. They are much more power efficient than any kind of a display.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I am voting for a eInk touch display in the place of the current touchpad. They are much more power efficient than any kind of a display.
And they come in color now too!

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/8/28/17791382/e-ink-advanced-colored-epaper-acep-kindle

I don't know if this has been posted already,i just read it:

TSMC's 7nm Node Supposedly Running Below Capacity

https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/281816-tsmcs-7nm-node-supposedly-running-below-capacity

Interesting.

Turns out not everyone wants to buy $1200 smartphones.

Last edited:

ganaconda

Jan 24, 2018
Yeah, true.

But the the One X is running the One S version of games, not the PS4 version.

What's the resolution on the One S version of RDR 2.

IIRC the One S was the worse version of RDR 2.

I think this is what some don't factor in. The base consoles.

It's good they don't factor that in, because it makes no sense to. I don't think you understand what you're talking about. The One S and PS4 version run with the exact same graphical features, but at different resolutions (Xbox One S at 872P, base PS4 at 1080P). The X version runs at native 4k and has a few graphical enhancements including higher resolution textures (as does the PS4 Pro). So the Xbox One X is running "the base PS4 game" at native 4k, with additional enhancements over the base PS4 version. If anything the point you're trying to make is even more wrong, because to say that the Xbox One X is just running the base PS4 version at native 4k is actually not giving it enough credit, since it also has additional enhancements over that version (as does the PS4 Pro).

Oct 25, 2017
Nope for full fledge console like ps5 it's closer to 16 months .8 months was for pro model where production numbers are much lower .
Production numbers are not a factor in early spec leaks.

How much lead time developers need is. Given the Pro would run any PS4 software, and it would have no exclusives, it didn't need as much as a full architecture change like PS3->PS4.

Oct 25, 2017
Even though it won't be an architecture change, it's still a new spec.
It's on Sony to provide similar tools and a smooth transition from PS4 to PS5 development. Given the architecture similarity - it could be minimal required change, though we should expect new features to be available to devs.
Any good threads/post as to what the most plausible launch titles for each are?
Pretty sure Japan Studios(Knack) have not been heavily utilized(Astrobot seems a small/mid-sized game) for the past year or two. We could be getting a Knack III...
After the praise for Astrobot, I could see Sony pushing for a standard 2D game using the characters/settings.

If Sony were aiming for 2019 - there has to be at least 2 titles well into development that we don't know about.

Socky

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, UK
Any good threads/post as to what the most plausible launch titles for each are?
Horizon 2 is almost certain to be the first major first-party title on PS5, although I doubt it's a launch title; first 12 months is more likely, but I would expect to see it shown at the console reveal.

Sony Japan (as above) and various third-parties (Ready at Dawn, Housemarque) have been mooted, Ubisoft are usually there day one with something, possibly new IP. Beyond that, who knows?

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Do folks think any older PS4 titles do folks expect might receive a PS5 patch? Upcoming releases are less interesting, as it's much more safe they'll be patched and thereby positioned as cross-gen games (Ghost, TLOU 2, maybe Days Gone) beyond mere backwards compatibility.

I'm thinking more along the lines of:

1. UC4 - fairly strong chance ND will have time after TLOU2's release but before PS5 to work on a patch. I could see a 60 FPS mode for single player, as I bet SP wasn't designed too specifically for 30 FPS given MP's higher framerate. And/or a higher resolution, as that might be an easy change to make. Precedent for post-release patch is there given ND updated TLOU:R for Pro.
  2. GoW - maybe a higher resolution than 1080p for performance mode. Of course, performance mode is likely to run at a higher framerate with PS5's equivalent to boost mode, sans a specific patch.
  3. GT Sport - I don't buy or follow GT games, so I don't really know if this is realistic. On one hand, this is a GaaS, and a PS5 would make sense. On the other, maybe PD is shifting dev resources to the next GT title.
  4. Some PSVR games, perhaps? Resolution boosting patches could be relatively easy to implement and yield big IQ improvements, and also encourage folks to bring PSVR to the new system.
  5. Third-party multiplayer GaaS titles like RDR 2, Fortnite, Anthem, Rocket League?

Oct 27, 2017
Do folks think any older PS4 titles do folks expect might receive a PS5 patch? Upcoming releases are less interesting, as it's much more safe they'll be patched and thereby positioned as cross-gen games (Ghost, TLOU 2, maybe Days Gone) beyond mere backwards compatibility.
[/LIST]

Eh, I believe we'll see the same thing that happened going from PS3 to PS4 happen again with PS4 versions of the game being made and for $10, you can upgrade to the PS5. I don't suspect Sony would have patches going out for older games unless they wanted to follow the footsteps of MS with the hardware based emulation allowing the BC games to have better frame rate, resolution, etc. If Sony did that however, it would definitely be a feather in their cap going into the next gen.

Feb 10, 2018

1. UC4 - fairly strong chance ND will have time after TLOU2's release but before PS5 to work on a patch. I could see a 60 FPS mode for single player, as I bet SP wasn't designed too specifically for 30 FPS given MP's higher framerate. And/or a higher resolution, as that might be an easy change to make. Precedent for post-release patch is there given ND updated TLOU:R for Pro.
  2. GoW - maybe a higher resolution than 1080p for performance mode. Of course, performance mode is likely to run at a higher framerate with PS5's equivalent to boost mode, sans a specific patch.
  3. GT Sport - I don't buy or follow GT games, so I don't really know if this is realistic. On one hand, this is a GaaS, and a PS5 would make sense. On the other, maybe PD is shifting dev resources to the next GT title.
  4. Some PSVR games, perhaps? Resolution boosting patches could be relatively easy to implement and yield big IQ improvements, and also encourage folks to bring PSVR to the new system.
  5. Third-party multiplayer GaaS titles like RDR 2, Fortnite, Anthem, Rocket League?

I think the PS5 will play those games at PS4 pro quality.
If Ms go ham with enhanced X1 games on scarlett (gears 4 @4k 60fps ulra settings) then Sony may respond,but I don't think you will over pro quality. Sony will be busy trying push PS5 games.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

I think you will have automatic PS4 Pro Enhancements enabled for all games that had them.

Then there will be a few games that will get a PS5 Enhancements Patch, mostly older titles and without much post-launch content:
-UC4 / UC :LL
-GoW
-Detroit
-Horizon ZD
-Bloodborne
-The Last Guardian;

Then games that will only get PS4 Pro patches and later a 4K Re-release with DLCs:
-Days Gone
-Spiderman
-Ghost of Tsushima*

PS4-only games that will release in 2020 will receive a D1 PS5 patch with "only" 4K/60fps and later a full re-release, for example TLOU II*;

Then a few games will get a cross-gen release, like Death Stranding*, and those will only get a PS4 Pro patch of course.

Worst case scenario, you will only get PS Pro patches across the board, but considering how big of a topic BC is becoming i would expect more.

*Ghost of Tsushima/TLOU2/Death Stranding are all inter-changeable to me, as i expect one to be PS4 only, one PS4 first and the latter cross-gen, but i have no idea which one will be what.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017

Out of those examples GT:S is a lock for a next gen patch, probably with an "ultimate edition" style re-release for newcomers. They keep giving the game content and it's got at least a few more years left in it with its extensive online features and the eventual move to paid DLC. Anyone expecting GT7 any time soon is in for disappointment imo.

As far as traditional single player games go, I don't think they'll be a priority unless they're first party. It may be that the PSPro patching process is similar and as such every game that has a Pro patch will easily get a PS5 one, hopefully that's the case.

Feb 10, 2018

If Ms go ham with enhanced X1 games on scarlett (gears 4 @4k 60fps ulra settings) then Sony may respond,but I don't think you will over pro quality. Sony will be busy trying push PS5 games.

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Out of those examples GT:S is a lock for a next gen patch, probably with an "ultimate edition" style re-release for newcomers. They keep giving the game content and it's got at least a few more years left in it with its extensive online features and the eventual move to paid DLC. Anyone expecting GT7 any time soon is in for disappointment imo.

As far as traditional single player games go, I don't think they'll be a priority unless they're first party. It may be that the PSPro patching process is similar and as such every game that has a Pro patch will easily get a PS5 one, hopefully that's the case.
The point is with gt sport they are putting models(cars and tracks) on 4k assets so will be much easier to make a proper GT7 next gen. But for GT7 they need at least more 200 cars and at least 5 new tracks.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

I find it unlikely that this is all they'll do.

Firstly, big new PS4 exclusives will likely get PS5 patches, since Sony will want people focusing on them.

Secondly, while I agree that a lot of old games will stay with their current Pro modes or normal modes (though I could see some older games finally getting Pro patches simply because they'd now be available to a wider audience), I think it's very, very likely that PS5 will have its own Boost Mode for PS4 games that (given the massive leap in CPU and GPU power) will probably be able to drive any game to 60fps, even in Pro mode. 30fps caps will get in the way of this, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some games patched with an option to turn off the cap.

Feb 10, 2018
I find it unlikely that this is all they'll do.

Firstly, big new PS4 exclusives will likely get PS5 patches, since Sony will want people focusing on them.

Secondly, while I agree that a lot of old games will stay with their current Pro modes or normal modes (though I could see some older games finally getting Pro patches simply because they'd now be available to a wider audience), I think it's very, very likely that PS5 will have its own Boost Mode for PS4 games that (given the massive leap in CPU and GPU power) will probably be able to drive any game to 60fps, even in Pro mode. 30fps caps will get in the way of this, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some games patched with an option to turn off the cap.
I could see a boost mode so pro games with dynamic res and framrate would get a boost.

iliketopaint_93

Use of alt account
Sep 3, 2018
It's supposed to be 2019, isn't it? Maybe 2020? Regardless, I can wait another for years or more. For the first time in video game history I'm fairly content with where graphics are right now and would rather wait a bit longer for a more noticeable leap in quality.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I could see a boost mode so pro games with dynamic res and framrate would get a boost.

Bingo. Lots of stuff would benefit from that, like Spider-Man and Wolfenstein TNC.

Honestly though, I really do hope developers go the extra distance and essentially bring the X patches of their games to PS4, but even better.

It's supposed to be 2019, isn't it? Maybe 2020? Regardless, I can wait another for years or more. For the first time in video game history I'm fairly content with where graphics are right now and would rather wait a bit longer for a more noticeable leap in quality.

Almost certainly 2020 unless Sony has been playing some serious espionage games to hide the real release date. Personally I'd like it to be earlier - graphics look great right now, I agree, but the games still mostly run at 30fps, and if the PS5 could make PS4 games run at 60fps, I'd happily buy it early and wait for the real exclusives. It wouldn't even be much different to the PS4 launch with all its cross-gen games.

There's also my desire for a higher-res PSVR2 but there's no way that's coming before 2020 anyway.

Last edited:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Interesting comments from Sony on how they view the Pro.

https://wccftech.com/sony-exec-ps4-pro-necessary-evolution/

The mid-lifecycle upgrade of PlayStation 4 to PS4 Pro is a good example of necessary evolution. In enabling the community to upgrade mid-lifecycle it has allowed our most engaged players an even more immersive experience that compliments the latest advancements in TV technology.

We've found that around one in five PlayStation 4s sold has been a PS4 Pro since it launched and around 40 percent of these have been from existing players upgrading so it's definitely having a positive impact on the industry as well as on our players.

I think what's interesting is that the upgrade rate is only 40%. This means 12% of newcomers to the platform are going for the Pro that previously didn't have a PS4. That's not an insignificant draw and seems to be a positive indicator for future "Pro" type revisions. There are also probably high spending consumers as well.

It's also interesting they see these users as wanting the latest TVs have to offer. If next gen launches with HDMI 2.1, there likely won't be a similar impetus for most users. Could it just be a keeping up with the Jones as the respective platform providers feel it is expected of them?

I think these consoles can be an interesting testbed for technologies due to lower volume, but I think there may be genuine lack of advancement on the process side this gen that will keep them from being compelling upgrades.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in another thread, but I thought it worth asking here as well. How do you folks feel about Sony implementing mobile devices as part of their strategy for PS5? I believe we've seen a few patents and rumors about mobile hardware (dedicated or not), and I'm pretty sure we also have a quote or two about Sony wanting to tie into mobile devices more.

For me, I'd love to see PS5 come with a new age "remote play" feature. Let me start a game on my PS5, put the console into suspend mode, and then pick things back up via mobile device. With major networks getting ready to transition to 5G, I could see the potential of game streaming as a core feature. Sony has at least never been shy about doing a trial of the latest tech.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in another thread, but I thought it worth asking here as well. How do you folks feel about Sony implementing mobile devices as part of their strategy for PS5? I believe we've seen a few patents and rumors about mobile hardware (dedicated or not), and I'm pretty sure we also have a quote or two about Sony wanting to tie into mobile devices more.

For me, I'd love to see PS5 come with a new age "remote play" feature. Let me start a game on my PS5, put the console into suspend mode, and then pick things back up via mobile device. With major networks getting ready to transition to 5G, I could see the potential of game streaming as a core feature. Sony has at least never been shy about doing a trial of the latest tech.

you could do that from PS4 launch with a 3G vita, and you could do it with Sony Android devices too - and sync up a dual shock. I thought Sony were going to roll remote play out more widely but it seems to have gone quiet.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
you could do that from PS4 launch with a 3G vita, and you could do it with Sony Android devices too - and sync up a dual shock. I thought Sony were going to roll remote play out more widely but it seems to have gone quiet.

Could just be saving it as a big feature for the PS5.

I feel like if they really wanted to do this they could do something crazy like make the standard PS5 controller not be a traditional dualshock but something you could snap your phone onto and play your games on the go.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

Frankly,i hope they don't even bother with mobile.I just don't get this need to do something about PS+mobile.And for what?So i could play RDR2 remotely on my 5 inch phone?

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frankly,i hope they don't even bother with mobile.I just don't get this need to do something about PS+mobile.And for what?So i could play RDR2 remotely on my 5 inch phone?

To each his/her own! Personally, I'd love the idea of playing something like RDR2 on my phone. It'd make 60-100 hour games much more palatable for someone like me. Obviously I wouldn't spend all of that time playing via phone, but I'd at least feel like I'm making progress.

On Sony's side, I think the argument for this approach would be about engagement. It's an opportunity to engage people with the Playstation brand in more aspects of their life while still tying things to the core tv-based product.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
https://amp.tomshardware.com/news/amd-files-trademark-vega-2-logo,38225.html

This is quite interesting. Seems like AMD may be coming out with 'Vega 2' cards. And this article calls Navi 'next-fan architecture'. Wonder if Navi really is post-GCN architecture and what Vega 2 would mean for next gen systems.
This may just be Vega 7nm and not necessarily a consumer product.

TH is being a little loose with language. We shouldn't assume their use of "next-gen" implies they know it to not be GCN derivative.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Has their been no other info about Sony's supposed heavy hand in development of Navi. I find that to be fascinating, it seemed to go beyond the typical level of collaboration

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Navi PS5 exclusive? ;)

Joking aside,i agree,it is interesting,yes,i don't think we had situation like that before.

Consoles have always punched above their weight when it comes to raw terraflops compared to PC, I wonder if this will result in that more so, maybe even compared to MS. You are that involved their is going to be some funky creative stuff. Which honestly I'm excited for, I've always like the creative solutions and work around consoles have come up with. There was less of that this gen

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Sony being involved in Navi's development had to have raised some eyebrows in Redmond. How could it not? What does that mean for Scarlet? Is your competitor helping build your next GPU? If I ran XBOX I would need certain reassurances from AMD. Not sure AMD is in a position to screw over one of the top data center providers in the world. Im curious to see how it all shakes out.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
What gives you that idea?
I remember Phil saying something like that at last E3. And I have been wondering ever since how he can be so confident when he doesn't know what Sony is working on.
But if he knows that Sony basically owns Navi and also knows that MS are going to use Navi's successor technology it starts to make sense.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Maybe that's why MS seem to know already that they will have the most powerful console again.

MS claims they'll have the most powerful console because that's what they'd like everyone to believe, whether or not it's actually the case. How many months after the release of the PS4 and Xbox One were they still claiming the obvious 30-40% performance gap wasn't real? They might wind up with the most powerful system next time around. They certainly have lots of incentive to do so. They also can't be certain at this point, and their statements don't make for compelling evidence one way or another.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
So Microsoft will have Navi but...will it be partially gimped? Two thirds of AMD's own staff was dedicated to working on Navi for ps5, with the other third being Sony. They are not going to do all that so that just so ms take advantage. Does that mean Navi is exclusive? No But I wonder if AMD is basically saying "here's your bonestock standard Navi (pre Sony) do what you want with it"

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
MS claims they'll have the most powerful console because that's what they'd like everyone to believe, whether or not it's actually the case. How many months after the release of the PS4 and Xbox One were they still claiming the obvious 30-40% performance gap wasn't real? They might wind up with the most powerful system next time around. They certainly have lots of incentive to do so. They also can't be certain at this point, and their statements don't make for compelling evidence one way or another.

I think there are three ways to be absolutely certain you're going to have a product more powerful than your competitor's, in this case PS5:

1) You build a more expensive box
2) You launch later than PS5
3) you design multiple SKUs, with different performance profiles

It's possible that 1 and 2 can be combined like we saw with the XB1X but I think either of those three options would result in more powerful hardware for MS.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I think there are three ways to be absolutely certain you're going to have a product more powerful than your competitor's, in this case PS5:

1) You build a more expensive box
2) You launch later than PS5
3) you design multiple SKUs, with different performance profiles

It's possible that 1 and 2 can be combined like we saw with the XB1X but I think either of those three options would result in more powerful hardware for MS.

To be frank, it's also possible they are talking out their ass. We are talking about the company of "you know it outputs at 1080p, right?" Of pr people on NeoGAF straight up telling posters that the gap was false. And even as recently as Xbox 1x the marvelous "uncompressed pixels". They could be a teraflop behind and I garauntee you they will say they are more powerful due to customisations and secret sauces and "you'll see the results". Seriously, they knew they had the most powerful console and they still pulled that pixel bs when it wasn't even necessary

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Thread took a weird slant :/

What are the odds that they both use Navi with their own customizations? I have a hard time believing there'd be an actual business agreement that freezes MS out of using Navi or giving Sony sole rights to it.