• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console arrive?

• H2 2019

Votes: 638 14.1%
  • H1 2020

Votes: 724 16.0%
  • H2 2020

Votes: 2,813 62.2%
  • H1 2021

Votes: 141 3.1%
  • H2 2021

Votes: 208 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Lol damn. I missed that post. Dream big though I guess right?
Right? Lmaooo... I'm not mad at em for going all the way there.

Folks on Era sometimes make me wonder if I'm poor the way they talk about money in these markets lol

That whole thing was in response to someone saying that there was no way possible at all that MS could engineer a box as well as Sony. Wether the response was tounge-in-cheek or not it was fair play. Make a stupid statement, win a stupid response.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
One day, ya'll will stop letting Phil Spencer Xbox Mind Trick ya'll lol

Well no, not really. The expectation is a more powerful and premium console, at a higher price.

It's not a mind trick unless you think they're going to make a significantly more powerful console at the same price, then yeah you're in fanboy wet dream territory.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
That whole thing was in response to someone saying that there was no way possible at all that MS could engineer a box as well as Sony. Wether the response was tounge-in-cheek or not it was fair play. Make a stupid statement, win a stupid response.

Haha, thanks for clarifying. I didn't read the whole thread so I was like "has this been his mountain to die on?"

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
You know what is funny? Ms will have really soon ps5 Dev kits. They will know exactly what ps5 will be since they have mulplatform games and will port Minecraft to next generation.

Sony isn't stupid, they'll just say "uh huh. A late port is okay thank you. How about you get one....like three months before launch?" May as well expect Herman hulst to put on a mustache and go into ms headquarters claiming to be an indie dev lmao

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
For their gaming though? Like, I guess who is in the market to buy a box for streaming games in particular and everything else just because? Folks who cord cut did so to save money. Why are they buying a $150+ dollar box where the only difference is Xbox games is kinda what I was trying to get at. If that makes sense?

I don't know bro, that's their dice to roll. My only point is if selling a streaming box is a battle not having the option to buy all the newest releases makes that battle an uphill one.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Well no, not really. The expectation is a more powerful and premium console, at a higher price.

It's not a mind trick unless you think they're going to make a significantly more powerful console at the same price, then yeah you're in fanboy wet dream territory.

That's what it was in reply to. Lol.

I don't doubt that Xbox can make a more powerful console than Playstation. I just don't know what that even means in 2020.

Your console can play 8K blu-rays? I'm firmly in the camp that services more than power will win next gen. I think Sony and Xbox should be competing there outside of just a power race.

Sony having more work to do there, but already being well on their way.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Sony may still be interested in simply selling you a console and selling games on it when Microsoft and Google are about trying to have as many devices as possible on their streaming platforms.

I think you'll find they all want the same thing. Both Sony and MS want to build on an ever increasing playerbase and Sony has been working on PS Now for quite a few years now, so it's not like MS is suddenly a pioneer for wanting to get in on streaming.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Haha cool. I thought you were saying your fam was interested in an Xbox streaming box lol

Oh yeah, they are lol. I thought you were asking about it from MS point of view. I asked the kids "What if you could just stream games like a YouTube video?" and they were like hell yeah. I didn't explain any other benefits at all. Didn't even mention the other stuff MS talked about like playing from phones and tablets. I think the idea of it just sounds cool to them. My nephew actually has a PS4 so I told him I'd try to get him a PSNow account set up to try.

Nov 30, 2017

Well lol, OK there's the context I missed. Nothing personal. I just laughed at the $500 loss part.

My bad.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Ok, so you're arguing now that you meant they would make a negligible more powerful console. You got it then, mate.
I was responding to someone who said that there absolutely is no way Microsoft could release a more powerful console than sony in the same year at the same price..... Nowhere did I say that they would make a significantly more powerful console. That's your fault for misreading.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I was responding to someone who said that there absolutely is no way Microsoft could release a more powerful console than sony in the same year at the same price..... Nowhere did I say that they would make a significantly more powerful console. That's your fault for misreading.

You got it, fam.

Oh yeah, they are lol. I thought you were asking about it from MS point of view. I asked the kids "What if you could just stream games like a YouTube video?" and they were like hell yeah. I didn't explain any other benefits at all. Didn't even mention the other stuff MS talked about like playing from phones and tablets. I think the idea of it just sounds cool to them. My nephew actually has a PS4 so I told him I'd try to get him a PSNow account set up to try.

Dope. I need to try it out again myself.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
You got it, fam.

Dope. I need to try it out again myself.

I haven't tried it since I was in the beta but even then I had more problems with image quality than controls. It was obviously not the level of response that you get from a local box but it wasn't horrible and I could see a lot of less discerning players being absolutely fine with it. I'm just thankful that it's an option for now and not the only way to game.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've mocked the 2019 chatter since the day it began, but I am beginning to come around to an alternative idea that I did propose earlier this year.

It makes a lot of sense for Microsoft to launch in the Spring of 2020. Even a 6 month heard start would be advantageous for them. They could certainly have either Gears 5 or Halo Infinite ready for launch, along with Forza 8. It would be fun to see them pull it off.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
there is a rumor from a worker at a japanese analysis company that he heard sony are focusing on increasing the ram size actually. which will make sense considering the move to many AI technologies like motion matching that require heavy ram usage.
TLoU2 potentially being a day-and-date PS5 title will be an excellent early showcase for Motion Matching. Next-generation animation at (likely) butter smooth 60fps, game will flow like nothing else in the industry.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
there is a rumor from a worker at a japanese analysis company that he heard sony are focusing on increasing the ram size actually. which will make sense considering the move to many AI technologies like motion matching that require heavy ram usage.

Not to mention that patent for cooling which seems to be specific to stacked ram. More ram on the die

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
These last few pages... yikes

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018

I remember this rumour, but something just struck me. If they are focusing on increasing ram...could that mean that at some point they had settled on a lower amount and later amended that? It's a really weird turn of phrase "working on increasing ram" or what have you. It could have been they are focused on ram, or want a large amount of ram etc. To want to increase something, you need to start from a certain number. Maybe the dev tour Cerny went on he got screamed at again about ram like back in the ps4 days lmao

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
No, that's why none of the consumer GPUs have that or will have that anytime soon.

Consumer GPUs don't share bandwidth with the CPU afaik, whereas on a console APU they will need more memory bandwidth to feed both the CPU and GPU. This could be a major bottleneck if there isn't enough of it.

The number won't be 1.2TB/s but I imagine it'll need to be more than most PC graphics cards. Or maybe I'm overestimating bandwidth needs for the CPU.

Last edited:

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I will be shocked to see anyone go with HBM, unless that party thinks that prices will have dropped significantly and will continue to do so by the time the next wave of consoles hits.

It depends what you consider by bulking. The "interest" in the past few months has been returning to a place where they were long before the crucial moment in 2016 when Phil Spencer closed a bunch of studios and cancelled projects all over the place. Fast tracking the acquisition of talent is what they had to do to get back on form before the next generation, and now I feel they've more or less reached a state of equilibrium. I don't think Microsoft was adverse to studio acquisitions back in the original Xbox or 360 days, so I don't think their interest in that area has changed much.
If you were to ignore Mojang and Microsoft Casual Games, then Microsoft now has 11 studios. Playground, Ninja Theory, Rare, Obsidian, InXile all have multiple teams working on multiple projects. Microsoft has never ever had this big a presence in first party development all geared towards the core console instead of splitting development between console and kinect. Everything also points to them picking up a few more developers.

All that matters is that at the end of the day they are where they need to be developer wise. That being said...I'm shocked at how many informed (compared to masses) posters just assume it will be all honky Dory. If it was as easy throwing money at developer every publisher wouldbhave Zelda's and god of wars. You can't just expect studios to make gold first time out
Bungie.
343 Industries.
Turn 10.
Playground Games.
The Coalition.

These are/were making good games since day one for Microsoft. There is also nothing that points to Obsidian, Ninja Theory struggling to make quality games from day one given their output over the last decade.

Some will not get that game that averages 80 - mid 80's in critical reception. Given current outings, Compulsion Games and Undead Labs look like they will need a lot of work to get games that are quality and not bug ridden out. I also do not know how InXile will transition if they are to move away from CRPG's.

I think you'll find they all want the same thing. Both Sony and MS want to build on an ever increasing playerbase and Sony has been working on PS Now for quite a few years now, so it's not like MS is suddenly a pioneer for wanting to get in on streaming.
The comparison between PS Now and Game Pass is also neither here nor there. The only thing that they are similar in is that they will both offer streaming options once Microsoft releases Xcloud as a streaming product for Game Pass. That is where the similarities end.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The comparison between PS Now and Game Pass is also neither here nor there.

Well that's not true, as you're trying to argue that MS is on a completely different path to Sony because they're showing interesting in having streaming services. My point is both companies have very similar interests in streaming and both want the same thing, as in to foster and grow a large community of customers within their ecosystems.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Well that's not true, as you're trying to argue that MS is on a completely different path to Sony because they're showing interesting in having streaming services. My point is both companies have very similar interests in streaming and both want the same thing, as in to foster and grow a large community of customers within their ecosystems.
The only thing that makes them similar right now is that PS Now is a streaming service and Microsoft has shown what they aim to achieve with Xcloud.

Other than that, one is has games releasing day and date, the other is only starting to add this generations games. One is targeting all devices from phone, tablet, console and PC, the latter is targeting the latter two platforms (it may well change). Game Pass as a service is what will define Microsoft's gaming business going forward i.e. they are betting everything on it being a success years from now. Sony has a business model that works, that makes money and that is selling copies and doing some remasters with streaming being the other option.

The only thing that is similar is eventually, both will be streaming options.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am looking forward to MS releasing their streaming service. Not because I want to use it, but because then I can finally have an apples to apples comparission with PsNow.
To be frank, I am sick of PSNow being belittled and compared to an idealised, impossibly perfect Xbox streaming service that run perfectly, cost pennies, and somehow have games of the entire Xbox catalogue day one.

A dash of reality is needed, in terms of Xbox Streaming. We are lacking that right now. Too much pie in the sky.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I am looking forward to MS releasing their streaming service. Not because I want to use it, but because then I can finally have an apples to apples comparission with PsNow.
To be frank, I am sick of PSNow being belittled and compared to an idealised, impossibly perfect Xbox streaming service that run perfectly, cost pennies, and somehow have games of the entire Xbox catalogue day one.

A dash of reality is needed, in terms of Xbox Streaming. We are lacking that right now. Too much pie in the sky.

So in your estimation PS Now is the future and you're satisfied with the service?

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018

Well XCloud being able to run all Xbox games is accurate, because Microsoft already said that you can run all your purchased Xbox games. It's highly likely that XCloud would be better because if you're near a data centre, you get less latency.

Oct 27, 2017
TLoU2 potentially being a day-and-date PS5 title will be an excellent early showcase for Motion Matching. Next-generation animation at (likely) butter smooth 60fps, game will flow like nothing else in the industry.

If the actual game can come close to even a fraction of what we saw of the demo at E3, this game will be one for the ages.